REFURBISHING an MR Obi-Wan ANH

Romans Empire

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So finally I picked up an MR Obi-Wan ANH off eBay last week for a really sweet price... problem was someone had tried to disassemble it and scratched off/messed up a lot of the finish (that's why the sweet price ;) ).

While it did look weathered, it didn't look like MR originally intended. Here's what was wrong with it :

- Scratched finish on emitter & windvane neck
- Missing paint on center & lower grips
- Missing transistors & washer
- Missing brass flat-head screw on clamp

mrobi1.jpg

mrobi2.jpg

I'm not done yet, but here's where I'm at so far :

Removed paint from outer surface of grenade :
mrobi3.jpg

Removed all paint from lower grips (kinda looks like a booster ;) ) :
mrobi4.jpg

Applied leather brown semi gloss to entire grenade :
mrobi5.jpg

Applied flat black to lower grips :
mrobi6.jpg

Touched up windvane neck with flat black :
mrobi7.jpg

Applied light "dusting" of flat black to surface area of grenade :
mrobi8.jpg

mrobi9.jpg

Applied correct size flat-head brass screw :
mrobi91.jpg

Applied accurate transistors :
mrobi92.jpg

Still need to redo finish on emitter section and on transistors & washer. :cheers

The paint missing from the grenade 2 frags looks like they were trying to emulate the look of the saber as it appeared in Tunsia.

Thanks guys! :)

The paint missing from the grenade 2 frags looks like they were trying to emulate the look of the saber as it appeared in Tunsia.

I hadn't thought of that... But from the looks of it, I really think someone tried to take this poor thing apart. It's got clamp-marks. The 16-hole emitter section was partially pulled out. The clamp has a half-circle scratched in to it from were they tried to unscrew the lever, so now the lever is quite flimsy. Missing transistors. The wires from booster to clamp are half cut. It was a real mess. :wacko

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back