Krampus (Post-release)

Re: Krampus

I got crap from an older woman here at work for putting up a print of Krampus I found online that had "Merry Christmas from Krampus!" on my office wall during the holiday season. She thought it was horrible to have something like that during Christmas. I didn't care. :lol

I got crap from an older woman here at work for putting up a print of Krampus I found online that had "Merry Christmas from Krampus!" on my office wall during the holiday season. She thought it was horrible to have something like that during Christmas. I didn't care. :lol

At least Krampus is more PC than Black Peter.

I love Krampus and vintage devil items. I have had a devil collection for about 20 years now, and have admired the numerous vintage Krampus postcards from Europe for a long time. What a great character to fashion a movie around. I'm surprized its taken Hollywood so long to jump on that bandwagon.

I love Krampus and vintage devil items. I have had a devil collection for about 20 years now, and have admired the numerous vintage Krampus postcards from Europe for a long time. What a great character to fashion a movie around. I'm surprized its taken Hollywood so long to jump on that bandwagon.

I agree, even American Dad beat them to it lol

I guess this looks OK, but frankly it has all the earmarkings of the typical horror movie. I really hope that it's something more than that. I'd much rather it would be a more subtle and therefore truly frightening movie. But perhaps it will be. Trailers are often misleading.

I was looking really forward to this but i expected something darker.

Even if it has scary moments its seems too campy t be be truly frightening.

Oh well just enjoy it for what it is and won't expect too much. Otherwise I'll be disappointed.

If anyone else is wondering this will be a horror comedy, so probably won't be a straight up dark horror either. Still I think so far it looks great as a horror movie.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...peek-krampus-christmas-horror-movie/71670750/
Here is the recent USA Today article which gives little more info about the movie.

" And you thought just getting on Santa Claus’ naughty list was a bad move.

Co-writer/director Michael Dougherty (Trick 'r Treat) pulls from centuries-old European folklore to unleash a holiday-movie monster with Krampus (in theaters Dec. 4), which dabbles in Christmas film tropes as well as horror, comedy and dark fantasy.

“It’s one thing to be terrified or enthralled when you’re watching a film,” the filmmaker says. “To then leave the theater and realize it’s based on real myths and legends only makes it sink in even deeper.”

In the movie, young Max (Emjay Anthony) has reached the precarious age where he clings to the idea of Santa, even though the rest of the world doesn’t believe in him. The Christmas spirit really takes a hit when the boy sees how his dysfunctional family — including Adam Scott, Toni Collette, David Koechner and Allison Tolman — behaves when they come together for yuletide cheer, and Max is pretty much done with the whole thing.

Suddenly a blizzard and blackout hit their surroundings, meaning the horned-and-hooved Krampus and his sinister helpers are coming to town instead of the man with the bag.

Dougherty has long wanted to make a scary movie that embraced the magical aspects of the season, including a bearded guy living at the North Pole and elves that make toys for all good little boys and girls. Just the thought of Santa is creepy, he says: “That there is some sort of supernatural entity that keeps an eye on you all year long and determines if you're naughty or nice.”

The look and character of the film’s Krampus was distilled from various postcards and illustrations of the creature over the years. He was historically tied to St. Nicholas beginning in the 17th century, and that’s the interpretation Dougherty is going with, that Krampus is “judge, jury and executioner” but also the “shadow” of Santa.

Just don’t call him evil, the director says. “He’s more complex and nuanced than that.”

One thing from the Krampus mythology that Dougherty definitely wanted to keep was the antagonist’s mischievous side.

“He’s not Freddy (A Nightmare on Elm Street) or Jason (Friday the 13th) or Leatherface (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), this unstoppable monster that kicks down your door and rampages and grabs you,” he says. “If you study the myth, there’s something darkly playful about him. He’s having a good time doing what he does and he enjoys the cat-and-mouse aspect of it.”

Because of the Christmas-movie nature, it was important to Dougherty that Krampus also tap into the heartwarming aspects of the season.

“A Christmas Carol and It’s A Wonderful Life are kind of nightmares that show you these broken characters who experience a darker side of divine intervention. They need to be scared straight,” Dougherty says. “So it was important to elevate it.

“If you do a horror film without an emotional core, you don’t really have much.” "

Well, I like what Dougherty has to say about it - his perspective on it. That's a good sign! Keeping my fingers crossed on this one and look forward to seeing it.
Thanks for posting this info,Vivek. You're always up on the latest!
:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

I, for one, have always wanted a proper Krampus on the screen.

I mean, Grimm did a good job with the myth in that one episode, but I want more.

I've tired of the Christmas horror movies that are only considered "Christmas" movies because they take place on Christmas (I'm looking at you, Santa's Slay and Jack Frost). It's about time we get a Christmastime horror movie that actually has something to do with Christmas.

Hopefully they continue down the black comedy vein that's suggested in the trailer. I love the Krampus mythos, and hope they make something unique.

Has anyone found any pics of the Krampus yet? This one is the only one I've seen...

1280x720-J84.jpg

Pah I've been getting Monthly visits from Krampus Since my wife and I got together. If there were a physical manifestation to deal with and I could throw chocolate and chips at I'd be Happy.

Actually this looks like a lot of fun, I'm not a horror fan but count me in on this one.

Saw this the other night at the world premiere. I will post pics later :)

i THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. It is definitely not a horror/comedy, though there is the occasional but of comic relief. There's some really great story telling going on throughout, and if you are familiar with Dougherty's work you will notice many elements that obviously come straight out of his imagination.

It's a little hard to discuss the film and its merits without giving away spoilers. Sort of like trying to tell someone why The Sixth Sense is such a great movie without giving away the central conceit.

I found it to be fun, scary, a good story, and also rather terrifying. Please go see it!!

Here's Kristin and I on the red carpet.
image.jpg

A few more random pics from the premiere. I have some pics of Krampus, but fear they would be spoilers so I will refrain :)

image.jpgimage.jpg

First pic is with director, Michael Doughert. Second one is the gang with Bryan Singer. Had a great time chatting him up and exchanging stories. A great conversationalist. Dougherty carried the evening wonderfully and hid any nervousness he may have been feeling. I imagine it must be pretty terrifying!!

First horror film that I am going into optimistic about the quality beforehand. The designs are solid all around, and reviews are still positive enough, even with the difficulty of having a good horror movie these days

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back