R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy

The makers of Star trek online are making a permanent memorial for him and Spock that's going to be installed later this week during the next maintenance cycle.

nimoy_kelley_makeup_tos.jpg

ooterry-llap.jpg

International Space Station astronaut Terry Virts (@AstroTerry) tweeted this image of a Vulcan hand salute from orbit as a tribute to actor Leonard Nimoy, who died on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015.

Everyone's is different in how they mourn. Shatner is not a young man either. I can't say how how I would handle a close friends death as that has not happened to me yet.
I think it's personal choices and that's ok. He is not not recognizing this.

I spent the day after Spock died at a robotics tournament with my son's team and at one point I looked around and saw a gym full of 12-17 year old nerds and geeks- boys and girls of many different races, supported almost entirely by their parents and volunteers (though many corporations and organizations like NASA donate $$) glowing in beautiful happy geekdom as they competed with robots they had worked on for months, some nearly a year.

It hit me that when I was their age there was nothing in science this cool for kids to be involved in... but our generation grew up on Star Trek and Star Wars and icons like Leonard Nimoy and the Space Program inspired us to want more hands on involvement, not just for us, but for our kids.

As it turns out, my son's team won the Excellence Award and they are going to Vex Worlds in a month... I've never seen him as excited about anything he's done as he is about his success in mechanical engineering.

It felt somehow like perfect closure to know that the first character that had really opened my heart and eyes to the fascination of logic and science had planted a seed back when I was my son's age that was moving on, but his legacy lives on, propagating in a whole new generation.

Dozens of people judging him without fully knowing any of the circumstances. He could be hurting and dealing with all this emotionally in his own way. And then he has to deal with all judgmental pricks, as many bombarded him with mean tweets.

Lowbrow publication NY Daily News posted this article and actually tagged Shatner. He then tweeted the following.

16503836568_0aeed003a5_o.png

16071461363_67fc9c9823_o.png

Florida to LA is roughly the same distance as the UK to the US, its a 9 hour flight for someone who is also 83, people need to cut the guy some slack.

If Nimoy wasn't Jewish they probably would have had the funeral with ample time to get back, but they have rules that you have to get them in the ground as soon as possible.

If he could have got back in time without cancelling the charity gig he would have.

One of the best comments I've come across in support of William Shatner:

'William Shatner put aside his own personal grief to honour a promise he made to the best of causes - a promise which, through the money he helped raise by attending the function, will save thousands of lives around the world. For the alleged fans who criticise him for doing so, I have only five words: 'The needs of the many.'

I feel Leonard Nimoy and Spock would have agreed.

PS Thanks and amended Glunark, I'm not at my most literate or alert first thing in the morning. Lets also hope we do not turn what has been a fairly wonderful and respectful tribute thread into a needlessly bitter argument like the rest of social media.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back