R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy

"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."
-Captain James T. Kirk

He came to our comic expo just before I moved here to Calgary. Wish I could have made it there to meet him. They even took him down to Vulcan, Alberta for a special event. RIP Mr. Nimoy :(

Very Sad Day... You Lived Long and Prospered and brought great joy to so many... We've all lost a friend today and we'll all miss you.

...Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning...

May You Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
I never was a big Star Trek Fan, but of course it's always sad when such a famous actor with fans all around the world passes away...

RIP

good bye Leonard Nimoy thanks for the childhood and adulthood memories!:cool
spock.JPG

It's a shame. But on the other hand, the guy lived a solid life (COPD notwithstanding).

When it comes to folks like him, I say it's understandable to be sad at the news, but take it as an opportunity to celebrate his life and the impact he had on the world around him.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. My mom had COPD and then I heard he also had it and saw the video of him in I think an airport in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank. Right there I knew is was fairly far along. So when I heard he was in the hospital this week I sort of figured it was near the end.

I think author John Scalzi said it best via Twitter: If you're having trouble understanding the grief over @TheRealNimoy's passing, here it is: Every geek just lost their favorite grandparent.

I was lucky enough to meet him very briefly when he was in town for ECCC a few years ago. He was exhausted, but he was sweet and kind, and had a smile for everyone.

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” - Carl Sagan

I read he was taken to a hospital the other day... and then someone wrote he was getting better and now he's gone????? :confused :cry

I posted this video I made on Leonard's Facebook page and he was kind enough to comment on how much he liked it.
I am going to make another one just for him as I am very very sad.
Meanwhile, thank YOU Mr. Nimoy for all of the years you have made me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAynFz5SYw

Spockboy

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 273
Gotta give the guy props for taking a character that on paper could be one-note and predictable and bringing depth and character to it while remaining subtle and understated. Especially true in the later films where Spock had more flesh on his bones. No disrespect to the Shatner & company, who we all have genuine fondness for, but Kirk, Scotty, etc., were easier to play and other actors probably would have been just as good, but I can't think of anyone else who could have played Spock as well as Nimoy did.

Rest easy, Leonard, you did good in this world.

[Years ago I was covering BookExpo America, the largest annual American book show, and Nimoy was there plugging a photography book he'd done. He was scheduled to sign at the publisher's booth at a certain time, so me and other press guys went to take pix(BEA attracts a number of celebs, so he wasn't the only big name present). When he saw all of us with cameras he told the publicist he really didn't want any pictures taken. Here's a guy with a photo book who didn't want other photographers to take pix. The irony was so wonderful you had to laugh. I don't believe he was being egotistical. Despite his fame and place in the public eye he seemed shy.]

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back