The CW Legends of Tomorrow

I enjoyed it, but I enjoy the genre. I would recommend watching a few episodes to see what you think.

what's the verdict on this show? is it worth checking out now that the season is over?

too me, it seems like too much too soon, even if I like most of the established actors in it.

I like this show but Captain Cold is one of the highlights of the show, even though it seemed over acted at times. They Hawks were ok, but their story seems like it was resolved so Im glad were getting a break.

So if season 1 had a 1 armed Arrow, will season 2 have a 1 legged Flash.

I would give it a shot, I really like the show. There's this kid at work who's always late so I call him time master.

what's the verdict on this show? is it worth checking out now that the season is over?

too me, it seems like too much too soon, even if I like most of the established actors in it.

It has heart like flash, some fairly rubbish writing at times like arrow, and some excellent action/feel good moments like Supergirl (with ALMOST none of the angst...still some).

It's not the best thing ever - it's simply an enjoyable show to watch. A lot of stuff that seems a bit off in the first half of the season is actually made more sense of at the end of the season. Shorter season than Arrow/Flash too, so less filler (still has some though) and a variety of stuff on the show.

You'll enjoy it more than Supergirl and less than the Flash.

Edit:

Order of "best thing evar"

1. Flash
2. Legends/Arrow
3. ???
4. Supergirl

Last edited:
Has there ever been a show that breaks more time travel rules than this one?

I don't care if they break the "rules", I care that they have a good reason for doing so and LoT doesn't. Everything happens because... plot. Why couldn't they go back and save Laurel? Plot. Why couldn't they just go back to before Savage became immortal and kill him? Plot. Nobody seems to have thought about how time travel actually works, it's just plot convenience theater. Oh no, we have to protect the timeline! Then you have the Time Masters trying to kill people whose technical achievements are required for the future. There was no reason for most of the things to happen, other than the plot requires it. That drives me crazy.

I don't care if they break the "rules", I care that they have a good reason for doing so and LoT doesn't. Everything happens because... plot. Why couldn't they go back and save Laurel? Plot. Why couldn't they just go back to before Savage became immortal and kill him? Plot. Nobody seems to have thought about how time travel actually works, it's just plot convenience theater. Oh no, we have to protect the timeline! Then you have the Time Masters trying to kill people whose technical achievements are required for the future. There was no reason for most of the things to happen, other than the plot requires it. That drives me crazy.

The problem is that using the time machine to change things runs the risk of turning any potentially game-changing problem into a non-issue.

Beloved side character dies heroically saving the rest? A bad guy drops a nuke onto a city? Virus gets launched, starting the Zombie Apocalypse? Eh, we'll just use out handy dandy time machine to go back and stop it before it starts.

The overall threat of things isn't a threat anymore because there's always an out.

This is why there is causality. The nature of cause and effect makes it so that things HAVE to happen for other things to happen.

Not to invoke Godwin here, but let's look at Hitler.

We all can agree that Hitler was a complete monster of a person, embodying the very worst of humanity.

So, we send someone back in time to kill him before he comes into power, which ends WWII entirely.

You want to know what likely happens to the timeline when WWII doesn't occur?

Well, here's a collection of possibilities. https://www.quora.com/How-would-the-world-look-today-if-WWII-never-happened

They've sorta kinda tried to address this in the whole "Time wants to happen" thing. Doctor Who dealt with these issues by offering the "fixed points in time that cannot be altered" thing. But, I mean, it's a time travel show. They're GONNA break the rules.

And to be fair on the "dead is dead" thing, it's not like they haven't already resurrected two people on Arrow. Granted, they (finally!) got rid of THAT plot-impact-dodging device, but in a world with magic and time travel, I think we're firmly in the "comic book death" realm.

And you know what? I'm fine with that. This isn't a Joss Whedon show. I don't need beloved characters to die right after they said something like "I'm finally in love, and I think it's really gonna last! Life is just coming up roses for me!"

They've sorta kinda tried to address this in the whole "Time wants to happen" thing. Doctor Who dealt with these issues by offering the "fixed points in time that cannot be altered" thing. But, I mean, it's a time travel show. They're GONNA break the rules.

And to be fair on the "dead is dead" thing, it's not like they haven't already resurrected two people on Arrow. Granted, they (finally!) got rid of THAT plot-impact-dodging device, but in a world with magic and time travel, I think we're firmly in the "comic book death" realm.

And you know what? I'm fine with that. This isn't a Joss Whedon show. I don't need beloved characters to die right after they said something like "I'm finally in love, and I think it's really gonna last! Life is just coming up roses for me!"

I thought Deadpool nailed that particular trope on the head whilst actually being the trope itself - collapsing immediately after getting engaged etc.

I'm with you on this though - whilst there are a few items that need to be examined because I'm not certain they even stick to their own rules, for the most part, it is accepted that time is fluid but essentially the moving river type deal. Rip's wife and child are still murdered etc, couldn't go back for Laurel, or change Snart's fate.

It is the unfortunate cross we all have to bear with our particular set of interests - knowing how far to suspend our disbelief!

The problem is that using the time machine to change things runs the risk of turning any potentially game-changing problem into a non-issue.

Beloved side character dies heroically saving the rest? A bad guy drops a nuke onto a city? Virus gets launched, starting the Zombie Apocalypse? Eh, we'll just use out handy dandy time machine to go back and stop it before it starts.

The overall threat of things isn't a threat anymore because there's always an out.

This is why there is causality. The nature of cause and effect makes it so that things HAVE to happen for other things to happen.

Not to invoke Godwin here, but let's look at Hitler.

We all can agree that Hitler was a complete monster of a person, embodying the very worst of humanity.

So, we send someone back in time to kill him before he comes into power, which ends WWII entirely.

You want to know what likely happens to the timeline when WWII doesn't occur?

Well, here's a collection of possibilities. https://www.quora.com/How-would-the-world-look-today-if-WWII-never-happened

But that only matters if you actually care about the timeline. If you just want to erase the event and don't care about future ramifications, what difference does it make? That's really why I pointed out having rules for time travel, but LoT really doesn't. Even the Time Masters, who supposedly want to protect the timeline, were willing to send out an assassin to kill the team before they became the team, but, especially in the case of Ray Palmer, we know that his technology became very important in the 22nd century, killing him as a child is going to cause a lot of damage to the timeline, something the Time Masters supposedly don't want. Besides, putting their earlier selves into an extra-temporal orphanage doesn't keep them safe because a really dedicated time assassin can just go back and kill their parents. Or grandparents. Or cause their mother to have a miscarriage. It's not hard at all to stop someone from being born if you have time travel technology.

Having the ability to alter history as you want, and also to keep going back and re-tweak it whenever you like, just makes a mess. It would be one thing to say you can never go back to a specific time and place more than once or you can never meet yourself in the timestream or you get a paradox, but LoT did both of them and nothing bad happened. They don't seem to have any rules on how time travel functions in this universe. Anywhere that there are no rules, there can be abuses and there's no reason why people with the ability to do so, well meaning or not, won't abuse the system.

But that only matters if you actually care about the timeline. If you just want to erase the event and don't care about future ramifications, what difference does it make? That's really why I pointed out having rules for time travel, but LoT really doesn't. Even the Time Masters, who supposedly want to protect the timeline, were willing to send out an assassin to kill the team before they became the team, but, especially in the case of Ray Palmer, we know that his technology became very important in the 22nd century, killing him as a child is going to cause a lot of damage to the timeline, something the Time Masters supposedly don't want. Besides, putting their earlier selves into an extra-temporal orphanage doesn't keep them safe because a really dedicated time assassin can just go back and kill their parents. Or grandparents. Or cause their mother to have a miscarriage. It's not hard at all to stop someone from being born if you have time travel technology.

Having the ability to alter history as you want, and also to keep going back and re-tweak it whenever you like, just makes a mess. It would be one thing to say you can never go back to a specific time and place more than once or you can never meet yourself in the timestream or you get a paradox, but LoT did both of them and nothing bad happened. They don't seem to have any rules on how time travel functions in this universe. Anywhere that there are no rules, there can be abuses and there's no reason why people with the ability to do so, well meaning or not, won't abuse the system.

You make some valid points, but there is something that you've forgotten.

The Time Masters weren't protecting time. They looked into the Oculus and saw what was truly going to happen to the time stream, then set out to actively manipulate it to a different outcome using Vandal Savage as their instrument. They were also manipulating the entire team to produce outcomes that they wanted. When the team went back and destroyed the Oculus and then killed Vandal Savage, they weren't manipulating the time stream for their own ends. They were setting the timeline right by ridding it of the Time Masters' manipulations. So in reality, the team was indeed following the will of time itself by rectifying the damage done.

You make some valid points, but there is something that you've forgotten.

The Time Masters weren't protecting time. They looked into the Oculus and saw what was truly going to happen to the time stream, then set out to actively manipulate it to a different outcome using Vandal Savage as their instrument. They were also manipulating the entire team to produce outcomes that they wanted. When the team went back and destroyed the Oculus and then killed Vandal Savage, they weren't manipulating the time stream for their own ends. They were setting the timeline right by ridding it of the Time Masters' manipulations. So in reality, the team was indeed following the will of time itself by rectifying the damage done.

Got all ready to type this up. You ironically saved me the time.

Lol-Meme-02.png

Is anybody still watching this? I could barely keep my attention on it last night. I think I'm about done with this show.

What happened to Snark? I can't even remember, but he was the only one in the bunch with any personality.

Is anybody still watching this? I could barely keep my attention on it last night. I think I'm about done with this show.

What happened to Snark? I can't even remember, but he was the only one in the bunch with any personality.

Sacrificed himself at the end of the season so he can be resurrected on Flash thanks to Flashpoint.

Wentworth Miller signed a contract along with John Wesley Shipp, and Matt Ryan to appear on any and all CW Superhero shows at will. The way I see it Snart was at the center of a temporal explosion, so to me the likelihood of him being temporally displaced outweighs him being killed, and makes it easier for his character to appear anywhere, anytime. They could have real fun with this.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back