Destiny Warlock Cosplay - New to all this!

Well, i am getting there, though i keep forgetting to take pictures, but it takes ages so i want to crack on.

I now have everything i need to complete the cosplay i think.

Helmet is now needing a final smoothing before filler primer and 2000 wet n dry sand for the gloss black to go down for the alclad lacquer base Chrome layer.

Coat wise, the outside of the coat is finished in terms of putting panels together, the time consuming bit is quilting the lining to give that diamond pattern so iconic of the Warlock outfit, but about 1/2 done now. Once its done all the lining parts are to be sewn together and then join the 2 sections, as a first timer, its slow as i dont have time to make a mistake :)

Boots i found a very good EVA foam pattern for cosplay stuff, think it was the foam cave or foam vault. So using that as a basic template but modifying it with my own design ideas, basically to save time over designing something from scratch, i ordered sheets of foam from a industry supplier so hopefully arrive soon.

The rifle is a nerf bullpup, with extruded polystyrene sections to carve out and some metal and plastic tubing, plus gribblies. This has yet to be started but will be doing so next week.

Bracers and gloves are started with the use of some BMX gloves sewn into bracers made from foam and metal with velcro strapping.

Then its a case of modifying some belts into a bandolier and adding all the pouches etc.

I will get some pics up tonight hopefully.

I'm impressed. A complicated helmet for your first pep. And a coat for your first sewing!

(Word to the weary -- "Simplicity" patterns ain't. Some of them have a lot of mistakes, too -- you got to be smart with them. That said, there's a half-dozen that get a lot of use in the cosplay community, which means you can send out a bat-signal with "Help! Building Simplicity AAAX and having trouble!" and you will find lots of resources.)

Yeah, the instructions are very vague, steps completed in the next picture with no real expanation.

However google Fu and a bit of common sense has helped.

Main change is that the pattern calls for the lining and outer parts to be joined as a tunic (top part) and the cloak (Bottom duster part) seperately, then join the top and bottom, but sewing the centre seam would be very difficult.

Plan is to sew all parts of outer and inner as 'two' coats basically then join them together. Its not going to be perfect, but its coming along, and at least it seems to fit so far :)

Mega busy at work in the next month with audits, then going to Vancouver (Canada) from the UK for a 1 days visit :S Then Birmingham for a 2 days visit, and an award submisssion pack, so getting a tad frazzled. But if i get the next 3 weekends to just bash at it, it should be finished to satisfaction :)

Hi Folks,

Busy weekend and made decent progress. Main work this weekend was EVA foam boot covers to add a bit of bulk to the calf boots i have. Pattern parts were from The Foam Cave website :)

I was also able to sew the first coat lining arm to the bodcie piece.

Hoping to be able to silicone coat the helmet buck this weekend.

Last nights progress:

Arms sewn into the tunic parts of the outer and lining sections of the coat.

Worked out how the arm pieces will be cut and folded\sewn to give the classic 'rolled' sleeves Warlock coat look.

Tonight plan is to get the top and tail sections of the lining and the outer fabrics joined up to effectively create 'two' coats before joining them up.

Then its smooth off the helm in preparation for final addition of engraved detail lines, screw heads and such to give a 'busy' look.

Then spray it in micro filler primer for final sanding checks in preparation for silicone going on this weekend before i fly to canada for 1 day. 23 hr round trip!

Replacement sewing machine in hand! Happy Days.

Working on preping the helmet for primer before coating in Silicone this weekend. Sanded down and adding 'gribblies' like screw head effects and engraving.

Also got my clay for making mother mould partition.

I also got some brass rod and flat bar to use to put my 2 nerf guns together (a bullpup type and cutting up a pistol for parts.)

Sat and Sun will be busy

Thanks Marcus, Wedding venue hunting is a go for 2016 :)

Lots done today, as away to vancouver from UK for a day so lose 4 nights to work so this weekend HAD to be cosplay work.

Main bits done were the foam layup of the last few bits of the leg covers which i will be coating in PVA tomorrow, i also got the first shoulder pad completed before painting, its a sheet of polished metal and decorative effect brass sheet, cut and laid over the top, giving a nice effect and detail which i am really happy with even at this stage.

The helmet has had its last rub down and now has 3 coats of red primer on it, which will get wet sanded tomorrow and the silicone will be applied. I poured my mould keys into cups tonight using some silicone i bought 5 years ago but have never openbed and i was curious if it would work, if nnot i have 6 kilos of fresh stuff exactly the same, that i bought 6 weeks ago :)

Maim bits to do are final foam armour parts to create, cast the helmet next weekend and if that works paint it, and i have to make the nerf gun into a Psi-Umbra rifle.

Pics of progress:

Good progress.

This makes me want to actually play my Warlock again!!!! I'm a Titan kinda guy myself.

Anyways, the helmet looks great!! I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this!

Well today was the day for silicone, and it went okay.

First thinned coat:

Waiting for that to become touch dry i laid out my bracers and cut out parts:

Planned coating list:

First thickened coat:

Last coat and plugs added.

That's it till i come back from Canada on Thursday, 23 hrs of travel for 5 hour meeting!

That is all looking spectacular thus far!

I love the use of the sheet brass for decoration! I bet that stuff will polish up beautifully!

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see how this goes.

Note to self. DO NOT attempt fibreglass mothermould after 23 hours of international travel and an 8 hour time diff jet lag...it will end in tears.

Thankfully its not biggie, just fell out with the clay, fibre matt and RTV silicone not staying where they should.

Got enough of a base to layer up stronger material now so should be easier from here. Issue was the very deep undercut of the lid of the helm and the fibre glass tissue not wanting to bend and stay in that position.

Nothings ruined though, just means the mother mould will be a bit more complicated than i first thought.

Well today was the day.

I got my mother mold finished yesterday out of fibreglass, turned out the fibreglass i had bought about a year ago but never used had gone thick, causing headaches, but new stuff was much thinner and more like how i am used to, the tissue type fibres were too springy and wouldn't conform well at all, so i used chopped strand matt instead, with much more success.

I got the 3 sections made and parted after a bit of persuasion (and swearing) however this lead to 2 small punctures in the silicone however it wasn't in a critical area and were small.

After removing the master model i inverted the silcone and reattached the mother mold and screwed it all together.

Then i poured 4 layers of polyurethane resin, adding blue colouring then no colouring etc. This was to see what i had missed or thin sections.

After i had let it sit for an hour i pulled my first cast.

it came out pretty well but had 3 depressions where it must have moved slightly in the glove mold, however i may be able to straighten them out immersing the cast in hot water as i have done with resin before.

I removed the back panel of the helmet with a dremel, and tried to see if my melon will fit!

It does....just!

So need to repair the issues with the cast, or make a second helmet.

Then pad it out for comfort and so it sits correctly, then paint it.

sewing the last of the costume tomorrow too hopefully.

Pics of progress:

Quilting this was fun.....

Got quite a bit of progress last few days, Main things done now:

Coat is now fully together, and fits, all machine sewing complete, now just hand sewing any missed stitches and adding buttons\main lower folds.

Foam parts have been coated in PVA glue before i spray then with plasti dip this weekend.

Helmet has had rear section cut out and face plate screen area cut out. Now need to smooth out and fill a couple of small bubble holes and work out best way of attaching rear plate with magnets and a strap.

Once its all smooth i will paint it and the foam armour and then its the last parts of the gun and i am done.

Still a fair bit to do but i think i may actually reach my deadline of a week this friday :)

Hi folks,

getting it all together now.

The coat is together and has the fasteners fitted and final stitching to do by hand.

The foam armour has been painted and final coats to be done. The helmet has had the back piece attached with velcro, as magnets were going to cause fit issues in the time i have to work out the method. its primer micro filler has been sprayed on, then to smooth it down and apply gloss black before the alclad colour.

Its getting there but a lot to do in the 2 days i have left after a business trip this week. I may not do the gun as time is tight.

Well folks,

The day came and as i only had a couple of days after a business trip i haven't updated since last week.

The last few bits to do were to fit the armour parts to the coat, and paint the helmet and make the rifle.

All was going well with the helmet, being painted with pri,er and then glass black before a coat of Alclad Lacquer Chrome.:

This was then very carefully masked as the surface was showing some signs of lifting, and red lacquer was appled with some liquid mask in places to rub off later as battle damage.

upon removing the mask, disaster!

I have never seen paint lifting so badly in my life, so i had a bit of a moment to myself (sulk) then had at it with freehand airbeush metallic acrylics and a high gloss varnish.

Turned out okay in the end.

The screen is clear 3mm acrylic with window anti glare film added to it, gold colour 2 way like a mirror. :)

I added more length and some parts to the NERF gun, but i only had about 4 hours to do this so in the end it was servicable but not what i wanted but ah well:

Test fit of the main parts:

Rocking out with Iron Man (a fellow RPF member but as we could hardly hear with our helmets on, didnt get your name buddy!

Group photo of the finalists :)

It was a great event and for the first of its kind of this sclae in Aberdeen the turnout of over 3000 people who had to queue in the rain for 3 hours+ was amazing.

Looking forward to 2 day event and tickets next year.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back