Black Panther cowl

KJC

Day 1 sculpting Black Panther cowl
006.JPG007.JPG
This is after only about 4-6 hours of sculpting. I am not finished defining the brow area and I am going to make the ears bigger, but I am happy with most of the forms so far. I'll also have to fix the symmetry issues too obviously. I am Impressed with myself at the speed I was able to sculpt this after taking so long on previous sculpts. I am trying out using WED clay instead of plasteline.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about sculpt times. I lay them out somewhat quickly but then nitpick them for ages after. So far it looks like you'll be giving him the furrowed brow some artist gave him in the books. Looking good so far.

I am almost done after only 2nd day. I might tweak the brow expression a little still, but other than that just smoothing. I may do a junk mold to sand since I seem to suck at getting a good surface on clay.
004.JPG002.JPG

Any critiques welcomed, symmetry issues I may have missed, etc.

Last edited:
Hey man I actually like the non smooth look to it. Its not like a machined helmet...imperfections almost make it look more realistic.

How are you liking the WED clay?

I've been using WED clay and I find it's easiest to smooth out using a wet sponge. Works quite well. Looking good btw!

Hey man I actually like the non smooth look to it. Its not like a machined helmet...imperfections almost make it look more realistic.

How are you liking the WED clay?

I won't need to smooth it as much if I decide to put any kind of texture on it, but I am not so good at texturing yet. I like the WED clay for being faster to work with without warming it up. It is also more fluid to change the basic forms. It seems to be harder to get crisp detail though. Maybe I need to let the clay dry and harden some before detailing.

I've been using WED clay and I find it's easiest to smooth out using a wet sponge. Works quite well. Looking good btw!

I'll have to try a sponge. I figured something like that or a damp rag must be better than my fingers. Maybe I won't have to do a junk mold if I can get it to look good in clay.

Nice sculpt but it looks like it's not symmetrical. It looks like the left face is drooping compared to the right. Your right side is definitely your best side. Still nice work!

Nice sculpt but it looks like it's not symmetrical. It looks like the left face is drooping compared to the right. Your right side is definitely your best side. Still nice work!

Ya, I noticed the angle on the left cheek does not match the right. That was the last area I worked on and I over corrected. What other parts of that side do you think are "drooping"? The right side tends to look better because I am right handed. I actually like the left eyebrow better though.

Thanks. I will think about adding texture once the sculpt is finished. I know some that use a lightly textured spray paint to both seal and add surface texture.

The left eye and eye brow. The left eye doesn't looks wider and not as tall, it looks more oval then the right. The left eye brow droops/lower then the right.

- - - Updated - - -

The left eye and eye brow. The left eye doesn't looks wider and not as tall, it looks more oval then the right. The left eye brow droops/lower then the right. I actually like the right eye brow better then the left. The right side looks almost spot on but the left needs a little. Sometime when I'm sculpting I draw or trace on paper sections of one side that I like to use to get my shape which I will use or hold up to the other side to help keep things symmetrical, if that makes sense and helps.

That sounds like a good technique. I could do it digitally by flipping the picture. The hardest part is getting the lighting right to show the angles on both sides evenly. The brows I am not going for perfectly symmetrical. I do need to work on the eye openings though I did notice that.

Last edited:
You're certainly off to a good start.

You should give this video by Jordu Schell a watch. I recommend it to all who are new to WED because it really is a totally different beast than oil based or polymer clays.

In this video you can see how he rakes to smooth, uses baby powder so he can stamp texture, and dries the clay to put the fine details in. I think it'll help ya out a little!

Alien Soldier Sculpture Demo: http://youtu.be/pm927BfWjtI

I am almost done after only 2nd day.
So.. a week later I am still "almost done"

I have softened the the angles on the face, added mass to the cheek bones in the front, and played some more with the ears and brows.
black panther front.jpg black panther sides.jpg
I notice a small issue with the bottom of the jaw that I will need to fix.

I tried smoothing with a sponge and it does work quite well. It flattens the surface, but I am getting lines from the texture on the sponge.
017.JPG

I may get to molding this this weekend.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back