Tantive IV - X-Wing Boardgame model modifications to fit studio model

Marko@Rockvoice

Hey there my dear modeller fellows!

When I saw the boardgame-model of the Tantive IV, I was thrilled. At first look, it was awesome. Even the painting was nice, considering the length of 33 cm and the price of just 55 Euros.

All I considered at that point was a new paintjob.
But then... I made the mistake of comparing it to the "real" one... oh boy!

Does anyone know what kind of plastic this is made of?
Spoiler alert! it requires some MAJOR modifications...

Here are my first observations:

Not bad at first glance
450-tantive-01.jpg

the head - argh! Its all wrong... any ideas how to correct this?
450-tantive-02.jpg

from another perspective. Angles, front window, details... all scaled off
450-tantive-03.jpg

port side view. Same, obvious mistakes
450-tantive-05.jpg

engine area. It looks like they took tubes with a smaler diameter.
450-tantive-04.jpg

No idea what to do here. I am guessing the whole inner tube is too small as well...

ANY ideas what to do?
A CG-model would be nice to extract the head and have that 3D-printed correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest to start making 3d parts it will end up costing you hundreds of dollars on a $55 little toy, might as well start from scratch or if you really like this model just get the Randy cooper kit, not 100% accurate but the best kit available and putting time on that is way more worth it. I have it and its awesome!

Marko I think the same... There´s too much wrong to correct efficiently. Why don´t you get the 1:350 Blue Moon kit instead?

BTW did you notice the whole engine cluster sits lower than the ship´s centerline? I can understand proportional inaccuracies when they just didn´t care too much, but I´d believe at least they could manage to line up everything properly...

Weren't you more happier when you didn't know about the errors? Maybe it would be easier to erase your short term memory. :lol

TazMan2000

Its a fantastic board game toy - a Meh Model... for people that don't know any better its a great representation of the Tantive...

Jedi Dade

I have to agree with the fellow members, there's more wrong than right with this plastic representation of the Tantive IV. You can definitely make this model shine if you choose to work your magic on her.... but it's gonna take a lot of work.

(who am I to criticize,... so go for it.... insanity loves company!)

Marco, you ever do anything with this? And yes, I know this is an old thread, but I have one on the way. :cool

Yes ... an no...
In fact, I am AGAIN working on it - paused this project for a while...

I still need someone to 3D-model the head section, so I can replace it. This one would be almost impossible to scratch in that scale...

But... I am planning to use this model for a first millenium falcon model, the tantive with falcon cockpit and radar dish.

Yes ... an no...
In fact, I am AGAIN working on it - paused this project for a while...

I still need someone to 3D-model the head section, so I can replace it. This one would be almost impossible to scratch in that scale...

But... I am planning to use this model for a first millenium falcon model, the tantive with falcon cockpit and radar dish.

There are a couple of 3D meshes of the entire Tantive IV and the MF out there. They look pretty good at a glance. Have not analysed them. Start with this site: http://www.scifi3d.com/

and there's lots of chaff, but also 3DWarehouse.

I've played around some with chopping parts off the meshes to make printable parts. I'm a newbie to mesh manipulation, so I'm having trouble with even minor manipulations.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back