Anyone seen Barney Miller's badge at the Smithsonian?

temponaut

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Among its significant props from television history, the Smithsonian Institution has on display Barney Miller's NYPD Captain badge and ID from the 1970s sitcom of the same name.

Barney_Miller_Smithsonian_(James_Peeples)_03.jpg
Photographs by James Peeples.

I'm hoping that an intrepid RPF member might be able to share more detailed photographs of this prop... with any luck, photos in which the text of the ID is clear. :)

Thanks, WC, for hosting. :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see that one. I was in a big rush and just flew thru there on my way back home from vacation. Did see some cool stuff (and got pics) like Seinfield's "puffy pirate shirt" lol

I work in DC and could probably go by there on my lunch break. Do you know which museum it's in? The Museum of American History is closed for renovation but it looks like some pieces were moved to the Air and Space museum.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulv70 @ Apr 4 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]1455076[/snapback]</div>
I work in DC and could probably go by there on my lunch break. [/b]
If you have the opportunity and it's not too much trouble, that would be a tremendous gesture, above and beyond the call of duty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulv70 @ Apr 4 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]1455076[/snapback]</div>
Do you know which museum it's in? The Museum of American History is closed for renovation but it looks like some pieces were moved to the Air and Space museum.[/b]
I don't know for sure where it is, but it seems likely to be in either the American History Museum or the Television Museum:

Hal Linden turned over "Barney" memorabilia to the Smithsonian's American History Museum in Washington in 1982, where they are enshrined with other "parts of American culture."[/b]
Richard de la Font Agency: Hal Linden

One of the props used on the police station set was a chalk board the cops used to show whether they were on duty or off duty. When show ended, the chalk board was donated to Smithsonian Television Museum.[/b]
Sicoms Online: Barney Miller

Thanks, Mr. Wolf. The best you've got is the best I've seen so far. :) :thumbsup

Still hoping for that elusive, crystal-clear shot... :love

Based on WinstonWolf's photo, as well as similar IDs I have seen, here's what the text on the Barney Miller ID looks like to me (content only; the form below is obviously rough):

[attachmentid=13464]

Can anyone confirm or correct this?

Does anyone know what date appears on the ID, or whether the actual ID includes the "Badge No." text beneath the photo?

("D. Arnold" would be Danny Arnold, one of the chief architects of the show.)

I'm still hoping that someone will have a really clear, sharp shot of the ID, without any glare.

Thanks for posting the link, CS.

The badge itself looks like a standard NYPD Captain's shield repro, not too hard to find. It's information about the ID and the case that I'm really after. :)

With a sharp photo, the ID should be relatively easy to reproduce.

As for the badge case, I've seen many in the same style, but haven't found an exact match yet. In particular, I'm curious about whatever it is that's peeking out from under the badge flap. It looks like a white cord. A security strap? A lanyard?

This doesn't directly help your badge question, but in related memories...

The Smithsonian has so much stuff... they rotate it over the years but most remains in storage.

It's been over 20 years ago but I know they had the items from Detective Yamano's (Jack Soo) desk from Barney Miller on display. His coffee mug, badge, etc.
They were sharing display space with Fonzie's leather jacket and The Walton's radio from the living room set and a bunch of other iconic items.

I wish I could have seen the M*A*S*H sets that were on display there after the show ended.

Steven

Sorry but the Museum of American History where the collection including Barney's Miller's badge is kept is closed for renovation through the Summer of 2008. They did have some items on temporary display at the Air and Space Museum, but the badge wasn't one of them.

I checked the gift shop and the web site for any books that might have a pic but couldn't find any.

Some of the stuff they did have were C3P0 and R2D2, the MASH signpost, the Lone Ranger's mask, Archie Bunker's Chair, Seinfeld's Puffy Shirt, Mr. Roger's Sweater, the 60 Minutes Stopwatch and a pair of manacles from Roots.

Wow, that Archie bunker chair seems to always be on display. When i've seen it in the past It was in a stand alone display case along with Ediths chair and the table between them. (with a beer can on it)

Steven

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulv70 @ Apr 10 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]1458535[/snapback]</div>
Sorry but the Museum of American History where the collection including Barney's Miller's badge is kept is closed for renovation through the Summer of 2008. [/b]
Summer of 2008?. :cry

Thank you so much anyway, paulv, for going to so much trouble, not only visiting the museum but even looking through the catalogs for photos. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into getting the information for me, and even though we didn't come away with a picture of the badge and ID, the intel you were able to provide is helpful. Cheers. :cheers

The images you posted are great, too. How nostalgic, to see the M*A*S*H signpost and Archie's chair. I recently bought the first two seasons of All in the Family on DVD and have been enjoying how well they hold up 35 years later.

Thanks again. :) :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvin Martian 68 @ Apr 9 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]1458831[/snapback]</div>
Wow, that Archie bunker chair seems to always be on display. When i've seen it in the past It was in a stand alone display case along with Ediths chair and the table between them. (with a beer can on it)
[/b]

I got a huge chuckle the first time I saw Archie's and Edith's chair. Edith's chair is covered in Scalamandre fabric. This stuff is extremely expensive, running several hundred dollars a yard. Just the sort of fabric you would see in a working class home - NOT.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Apr 10 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]1459204[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulv70 @ Apr 10 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]1458535[/snapback]
Sorry but the Museum of American History where the collection including Barney's Miller's badge is kept is closed for renovation through the Summer of 2008. [/b]
Summer of 2008?. :cry

Thank you so much anyway, paulv, for going to so much trouble, not only visiting the museum but even looking through the catalogs for photos. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into getting the information for me, and even though we didn't come away with a picture of the badge and ID, the intel you were able to provide is helpful. Cheers. :cheers

The images you posted are great, too. How nostalgic, to see the M*A*S*H signpost and Archie's chair. I recently bought the first two seasons of All in the Family on DVD and have been enjoying how well they hold up 35 years later.

Thanks again. :) :thumbsup
[/b][/quote]

Ain't no thang. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

Re: Anyone seen Barney Miller's badge at the Smithsonian?

So the Barney Miller badge was supposed to go back on display in the summer of 2008.

I don't know how this happened, but it's already the summer of 2010! Where does the time go?

Is there anyone out there who can provide a clear shot of Miller's ID?

paulv70, is there any chance I could impose on you again...? :angel

I too would love to see some high res photos of this badge and ID.

kitt1

The wallet is the usual snap button type favoured by the NYPD in those days. It's still availible to them from the equpment section and uniform supply stores. Something like the one on this Ebay auction (but this differs in details).
Police Large Badge & ID Case Holder Genuine Leather on eBay (end time 16-Sep-10 19:42:26 BST)

The thing poking out under the flap looks like the head of the large blanket pin which is used to affix NYPD shields.

The card looks like a generic version from a company or another prop which has been doctored, note how New York City is typed in.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back