1/260 DeBoer Hulls Reliant - Build & Videos

Orbital Drydock

Here are the beginning stages of the Reliant build. There wont be as many photos as some of my other builds, I'm moving toward more videos.
This will be fully lit, with arb., lounge, & of course full custom aztec masks(Yes, there will be a set available. No, I don't have a time frame.). The model will be ceiling hanging, with an aluminum tube frame.

Now on with the video stuff!!

1/260 Deboer Hulls NCC-1864 USS Reliant Build: Raw Footage Pt.1 - Lower Hull Reinforcement - NO AUDIO AFTER INTRO

This video shows prepping the surface along with Coremat & fiberglass application for adding structural rigidity & strength. Being such a large model & fiberglass there are challenges that don't exist in the plastic model world. One of the biggest is large amounts of flexibility. While there has been some carbon added near the back to help with nacelle rigidity. There is still quite a bit of flex across the entire structure.

What I'm doing here is laying 1/16" Coremat & 6oz standard weave cloth. Coremat is a laminating core material used in infused plate & laminated structures. When infused with epoxy it's extremely strong & rigid. Then 6oz cloth is laid & strips of peel ply to finish it up. Peel ply serves two functions, 1) it allows the ability to use excess epoxy to prevent air bubbles & remove the excess epoxy when the peel ply is removed. 2) it provides a uniform textured surface which can be directly fiberglassed without any further surface prep.

Materials Used:
60 grit sandpaper
6oz standard weave fiberglass cloth
1/16 Coremat
West Systems 105 Epoxy
Econolease peel ply

All video is sped up 4x & there's a timecode to show the actual work time. One major thing, there is no audio!! This is raw footage of me working, not an instruction video. All you would hear in the background is STNG season 2, or me talking to the Mrs. & the pets. So, pick out a good 26min playlist of your favorite songs & enjoy the video!

DSCN0922_zpsgppbn8xy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so help me a tad bro. this scale is 1:260 and is just over 24 inches. my amt ertl kit is 1:650 and is just over 20" does this sound right?? just curious!! and looking forward to this build!!

o.k.! lol that sounds better. she's a beauty/beast then and im loving it, and this build!! this is my favorite S.T. movie and ship! :popcorn

1/260 Deboer Hulls NCC-1864 USS Reliant Build: Raw Footage Pt.2
Nacelle/Rollbar cutouts & clean up

This video shows work on the nacelles & rollbar, cleaning up the cut outs, cutting access holes, sanding flash & excess material from the nacelle & rollbar parts, drilling the nacelle front thruster holes & installing fiber optic.

I had a little clean up to do after cutting out the nacelle chiller grill slots & rollbar torpedo launcher housing. Also cut some access holes for fiberglass & lighting that will hide behind the vent ports

There was quite a bit of excess resin on the nacelle vent ports. Thankfully visible part line was around the base of the part. It took some sanding & caliper measurements to get the vents down to an even .250".

On the nacelle front thrusters 3mm holes were, & 3mm fiber optic was installed with CA glue. I know what folks are thinking "CA will damage the fiber optic". In this case it works good. Once the fiber is flush sanded to the nacelle it will all make sense. At one point I hit one of the fiber too hard with the dremel & shattered the fiber. Which resulted in that fiber being drilled out & re-installed.

Materials Used:
Dremel
60, 220, 320, 400 grit sandpaper
3mm fiber optic
CA glue

All video is sped up 8x & there's a timecode to show the actual work time. One major thing, there is no audio!! This is raw footage of me working, not an instruction video. All you would hear in the background is Dune & Stargate, or me talking to the Mrs. & the pets. So, pick out a good 14min playlist of your favorite songs & enjoy the video!

1/260 Deboer Hulls NCC-1864 USS Reliant Build: Raw Footage Pt. 3 - Rollbar body fills & Nacelle Front Thruster Install

This video is shows body fills on the rollbar torpedo launcher lip edges, flush sanding the nacelle front thrusters & installing the amber thruster leds.

On the torpedo launcher I used Evercoat metal glaze as the filler & roughed in the flats using homemade sanding sticks made with tongue depressors 60 & 100 grit drypaper, 220 & 400 grit wetpaper. Same sanding sticks were used for flush sanding the nacelle thrusters.

For the thruster leds I used 2x 3528 smds per nacelle, wired in parallel with 510R resistors for an 11v main system. I'll be using a combo of 5v & 11v systems on this build. 11v for the main window system using mostly led strip ran at 11v to keep it cool & a 5v system for all of the FX boards & FX lighting

All video is sped up 8x & there's a timecode to show the actual work time. One major thing, there is no audio!! This is raw footage of me working, not an instruction video. All you would hear in the background is Dune & Stargate, or me talking to the Mrs. & the pets. So, pick out a good 15min playlist of your favorite songs & enjoy the video!

1/260 Deboer Hulls NCC-1864 USS Reliant Build: Raw Footage Pt. 4 - Nacelle main seam gap setting & fiberglass - NO AUDIO AFTER INTRO

This video is shows setting the gap required for the nacelle main seams & fiberglass layups on the lower seams.

With fiberglass & resin models there are sometimes
some minor fit issues that might require removing or adding material.

In this case I'm adding some gap to the seam by taking width measurements & gluing temporary wood tabs along the exterior seam. Then once both top & bottom seams are tabbed & stable I glue permanent tabs along the interior seam & remove the temporary's. Once the permanent tabs are installed, the seams are taped & ready for fiberglass. With the tape I'm being careful not to press the tape into the seam. That way the tape will act as a shore to surface flush the seam.

In the last portions of the video I'm using pre-wetted narrow fiberglass strips & adding a little extra resin in the layup. I want this area to be a bit thick on the resin as it needs to completely fill the seam. No peelply is used in this are since there wont be any additional fiberglass work done on the seams.

All video is sped up 8x & there's a timecode to show the actual work time. One major thing, there is no audio!! This is raw footage of me working, not an instruction video. All you would hear in the background is Hitman & Westworld, or me talking to the Mrs. & the pets. So, pick out a good 20min playlist of your favorite songs & enjoy the video!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back