Static Costume ("I put a shock to yo system!")

Elxiah

Hello. New to the RPF. This is my second convention costume attempt. My first one was a rushed Miles Morales Spider-Man. I don't want to do anything too ambitious, but something cool and original. I decided on Static, a superhero that I've always loved. Not the TV show one, but the one from the comics (pictures will be posted at the end of this post). It's okay if the costume doesn't look designer since it was originally made on the budget of a lower middle class black teenager (coughcoughlikemyselfcoughcough). I'm hoping to enter it into Indiana Comicon this year. It's in the middle of march so I have about a month. I want to creat a low budget cool looking costume thats faithful to the original with my own bit of creative liscense, and also be able to put on a quick show for the judges and viewers during my 45 or so seconds on the stage.

Pictures of Static:

static1.jpgstatic2.jpgstatic3.jpg

Many won't reconize this static. So here is one that most of you WILL probably reconize from his TV show:

Static_Shock_(TV_Series).jpg

And for some of you newer generation kids, the one from Young Justice:
tumblr_nc8ahtVc1R1tgo8o0o1_500.gif

I hope to do this character justice, since he is not done very often. And since he will soon be getting a comic reboot and a live action tv series in the near future, I decided that I should do it this year before it blows up and everyone is doing it. The same goes for my little brother's cosplay, Miles Morales Spider-man. If he finishes it soon, I might put up pics of his costume too.

Wish me luck guys!

First, the most important part (and suprisingly the easiest):
The black body suit.
This was incredibly easy to do. At first I thought about getting a bodysuit, but those can rip easily and shipping damage is a major concern. Plus, how do I go to the bathroom in those things? Take it all off? Also, most come in a one piece with the mask, and i dont like the sound of the experimental cutting work that would be involved. So, easy solution. (it was acutally in my house the whole time).

All I needed was an black longsleeve compression shirt and some black men's leggings (like the kind a track runner uses). When worn together, they work great as a body suit! No cutting necessary! I will have to add that silver lightning bolt. Don't have the material for that right now so it will have to wait. Just a quick sewing job. There should be no hassle there. As for the gloves, I have some blue and black fingerless ones similar to the ones pictured underneath. The only difference is that the blue part is a darker solid material, instead of a lighter mesh. I'm not worrying too much about the bracers he wears, since with the sweater I'll be wearing they won't be visible. So the base of my costume is more or less complete.

10239197.jpg221714.001.jpgDefender-Blue-Small-Leather-Fingerless-Gloves-P14275704.jpgstatic1.jpg

Second part of my costume:
Accessories Accessories Accessories!!!

Time to get those down. First up, that slick mask he wears. Not at all difficult. Its a simple enough pattern. I don't currently have the fabric though. Plan on making a mockup with an old t-shirt or something. While it IS supposed to be a cowl, I'm going to break the rules a bit. The top of my head won't be visible with the hat anyway, so it shouldn't make too much of a difference to a viewer. The design seems to be a go across the eyes with two straps on both sides that loop together over the ear, along with aditional straps that go under the chin. The eye hole are similar to the outlines of Arkham City Robin's mask (pictured under), so I'll use those as a guide.
RobinsEyes.jpg

Next up is that hat of his. I've found that the comics aren't consistant with the color of it. It seems to bounce between purple, navy, brownish-yellow, and charcoal grey. For this particular costume, I've decided on either gey, purple, or brownish-yellow. I found a site that sells some cheap hats in these colors, and I absolutely love the unorthdoxly tall shape of them (pictured under). At only 8 bucks each its a steal in my eyes(http://www.caooop.com/new-era-blank-snapback-c-50.html). The only problems are the X logo is missing, and the brims are straight. I might manually bend it or just leave it that way. I don't know yet. Sewing an X on will be simple. I would have liked to get one embroidered, but I don't think its worth it to go to the trouble.

e8aa448644f56759afea0d1cd5c44918.image.180x150.jpgb259d972445f00dfa01e03d96c969b72.image.180x150.jpge09f39ee2d639901248797007cfc37b9.image.180x150.jpg

Lastly on my list of accessories is a pair of googles. I do know that that comic version doesn't feature goggles, but several other iterations of Static do, and I've decided to include some for fun. I haven't decided on what kind yet, but I have narrowed it down to two kinds: round or oval-ish. For color, I would either do yellow lenses with blue frames, blue frames with orange lenses, or blue lenses with yellow frames. I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards the blue lenses with yellow round frames (all pictured under). The frames for these all come in silver or black, so I would have to do a quick paint job. Since the lenses and straps are easily removed, this shouldn't be too hard to do. The site that I found them on (http://www.steadfastcycles.com/cart...esult&search_in_description=1&keyword=goggles) has some great looking products, but if I find them elsewhere for a cheaper price things would be a bit easier. I am a bit hesitant to purchase goggles for $25.00. I am retaining the hope that I'll find them closer to $10.00.

Folding Goggles Yellow_319x239.JPGFolding Goggles Orange_320x240.JPG!Bu7MmY!CWk~$(KGrHqR,!jIEv1+0L,!yBMCZnigN1!~~_12.jpg
!BiCcoD!B2k~$(KGrHqQOKkIEsnMU-pu8BLM(2hkdUQ~~_12.jpg!Bz1ZW2w!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!iEEw5Kc,c5gBM(v-G7UI!~~_12.jpg!Bz-+ngw!2k~$(KGrHqZ,!hIEw5!2kMyrBMYYYVTdfg~~_12.jpg

And that's the basic breakdown of my accessories for the costume. Yes I know that I left out the shoes and jacket. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do for those as of right now, so it's kinda up in the air.

Last edited:
Re: Static Costume ("I put a shock to yo system!")

First off, welcome to the RPF! It looks like you have quite a plan, good luck!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed the sometimes the images don't work that last post. I've reuploaded them all. Please let me know if they're still not working.

Welcome to the RPF!! One of the BEST GROUPS EVER!!
I just gotta say, If you can pull off the dreads instead of the hat would be SOOOO COOL! That's the only way I'm use to seeing Static and is still my favorite.. Very best of luck in this build, Static is an awesome character and I can't wait to see this build finished, no matter dreads or hat:thumbsup

Welcome to the RPF!! One of the BEST GROUPS EVER!!
I just gotta say, If you can pull off the dreads instead of the hat would be SOOOO COOL! That's the only way I'm use to seeing Static and is still my favorite.. Very best of luck in this build, Static is an awesome character and I can't wait to see this build finished, no matter dreads or hat:thumbsup

Man I so wish I could!!! But if I dreaded my afro right now, I'd just end up with some little twists. Maybe next year though.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sure you'll rock the character without the dreads anyway, just make sure to post lots of progress pics:thumbsup

Will do! First progress pic of my costume will probably be once I get my hands on the pants. While I'm at the store I'll probably try to find the orange coat too.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back