Spider-Man: Homecoming

Re: New Spider-Man Movie in MCU (July 28, 2017)

How would the Avengers even know he was a kid? By the time you are about 16 or 17 that is as tall as you are going to get. Your voice has already changed.

I feel like movies about a singular hero get ruined when they throw in too many villains... like the 80's-90's Batman movies. Did nobody learn from Schumacher's failings?

Absolutely agree, but I'll take it one step further. The best superhero films (IMHO, anyway) have been those that focused on one hero and one villain. That allowed the viewer to become more immersed, identifying/sympathizing with one character and their struggles vs. having the narrative stretched all over the place with multiple, distracting characters diluting the tension.

Which is probably why I'm one of the few fans left who get a bad taste in their mouths over this "wider universe" trend that, regrettably, even DC seems to now be on board with. Throwing the kitchen sink into cape films just makes them feel more like popcorn movies and less like films. "The Avengers" and its sequel were entertaining in the moment, but neither of them "stayed with me" after the credits rolled. And the more control the studio has over the course of the films (vs. the writers/directors), the less freedom the creators have to really take some risks and create art vs. formulaic schlock.

But, again, I recognize that I'm in the minority and that I'll just have to get used to it. It'll be a long time before we see the likes of another Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2.

Absolutely agree, but I'll take it one step further. The best superhero films (IMHO, anyway) have been those that focused on one hero and one villain. That allowed the viewer to become more immersed, identifying/sympathizing with one character and their struggles vs. having the narrative stretched all over the place with multiple, distracting characters diluting the tension.

Which is probably why I'm one of the few fans left who get a bad taste in their mouths over this "wider universe" trend that, regrettably, even DC seems to now be on board with. Throwing the kitchen sink into cape films just makes them feel more like popcorn movies and less like films. "The Avengers" and its sequel were entertaining in the moment, but neither of them "stayed with me" after the credits rolled. And the more control the studio has over the course of the films (vs. the writers/directors), the less freedom the creators have to really take some risks and create art vs. formulaic schlock.

But, again, I recognize that I'm in the minority and that I'll just have to get used to it. It'll be a long time before we see the likes of another Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2.

The team movies are fun in that they're connecting and opening up a lot of the comic universe. I loved Avengers (despite Cap's goofy costume). But yes, you lose the character depth in the team films because it's all over the place. But the team films are more about the "big picture" and whatever global or galactic crisis they're dealing with/ I think it's understood that they have to put their life drama aside while they focus on the problem. They're not fighting their inner demons and letting you into their personal world... that's what the stand-alone movies were for and they definitely built enough of a foundation for the characters to stand on when they're teamed together.

I think there's still room for more quality stand-alone character movies. Marvel has a lot more to roll out. Before Iron Man was a household name from the movies, I don't think he was really a flagship character like Batman or Spider-Man. But I'd say the movies have definitely changed that. As that character's loses momentum Marvel has a chance to make another character mainstream. I couldn't say which one... I don't think it'll be Ant-Man, Black Panther, or Captain Marvel. But who knows.

The likes of Dark Knight... that's a tough act to beat. Even with the over-use of the Clint Eastwood-esque Bat-voice that movie nailed it on so many levels. Which is funny to me, because it took me three sittings to be able to watch the whole movie the first time. Since then I've grown to love it and could pop it on any time and enjoy it.

I expect to receive a lot of hate for saying this but Marvel Studios aren't great with their villains. What was great about Ultron was simply that he wasn't Loki. Spidey has a lot of great villains that haven't been done yet so the MCU will have a lot of great things to do with them. The best part of Age of Ultron had nothing to do with the complication or complicator but was just the unique Dynamic between the Hero Characters. Let's just hope they don't ruin the Spidey Villains by making them all mutated and under Oscorps wing. They should just be already interesting enough so they don't have to develop more than the Heroes.

Last edited:

I've actually been impressed with almost all of the MCU villains. All the way back to Raza and Stane in Iron Man. A lot of that has had to do with the actors portraying them. Jeff Bridges, Lee Pace, Tom Hiddleston, Hugo Weaving, and James Spader bring a lot to the table. But on top of that, the writers have shown or implied things below the surface that take them beyond one-dimensional mustache-twirlers. I find myself wondering if Stane had any connection with HYDRA, and whether he was involved in the death of Howard Stark. I find myself mentally pleading with Loki to realize what he's doing and catch himself, because he's not evil, just proud and hurting.

The one that let me down the most was Ivan Vanko/Whiplash. Mickey was a terrific actor for the part, and they skirted close several times... But I was disappointed they took the old "baddie dies at the end" approach. I prefer another philosophy of warfare -- "the best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." All the way through that film, I was hoping Tony would put the pieces together, apologize, point out he had nothing to do with it, but he can try to make it right, acknowledge Ivan's brilliance... Long story short, give us a cinematic version of how Crimson Dynamo changed sides in the comics and became one of Iron Man's fiercest allies. I hold out hope that the armor protected him from the drones blowing up and he's in some secure SHIELD facility somewhere waiting for us to catch up with him again.

As to SOny and Spider-Man... I loved the presentation and portrayal of the Lizard in the first ASM... But they botched other aspects. Electro needed to have been introduced in the first film, well before he became electro. Ditto Harry Osborne. ASM2 needed to have been at least two films, to have developed those characters and their relationships with Peter. I actually liked the portrayal and motivation of Doc Ock in the second Maguire SM. I want to see Black Cat show up, and some of Spidey's less over-the-top adversaries. I could go quite a while without seeing a Goblin -- Green or Hob -- and be just fine with that.

--Jonah

Sony did a terrible Job developing their villains in the Amazing Spider-Man 2. You're absolutely right about that. The Green Goblin and Oscorp have never been as interesting as the film's seem to think they are and I'd much rather pretend they don't exist. Disney has them beat.
The Sam Raimi films did a much better Job at portraying Peter than they did Spider-Man and the first Marc Webb film couldn't really get either. In the Amazing Spider-Man 2 they perfected Spider-Man's character and had the best portrayal of him with a still lousy Job of Peter.
But... Loki has been overdone and should be dead by now, Guardians of the Galaxy's villains where underdeveloped, either had poor line delivery or just didn't feel menacing, I personally didn't have any qualms with the Portrayal of the Mandarin but I recall many others having so, Ultron's motives where far too inconsistent by the end of the film, and Iron Man 2 was just generally terrible and Whiplash was definitely part of that. In all honesty I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk and I wasn't paying attention to Thor: The Dark World. All the film's I mentioned besides Iron Man 2 are good movies. I haven't been able to watch daredevil because I've overdone all the serious TV shows. When I see glimpses of Wilson Fisk on in the background all I think is "Why isn't he excessively fat like In the 90s Spider-Man TV series?" Marvel has succeeded with villains and generally succeeded many more times than not and I am still under the illusion that they can make any film a success and any film perfect but the the film's already out do have flaws and a select few aren't that great. I wasn't thinking enough when I said they aren't too great with villains because they have plenty of... great villains. Hopefully with all the new Spider-Man villains coming their way, some villains can become more expendable and therefore have more reason to be developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope they keep the Spidey world small and intimate.
That's one of the reasons why Raimi's SM2 is so darn good.
I don't need any more Goblins, or Vultures, or Lizards, and I don't need Spidey to save the world.

My dream Spidey flick would center around a simple museum heist.
With the only "villains" being the Fox and Black Cat.
The possibilities of having those 3 together fascinate me.

I just hope they keep the Spidey world small and intimate.
That's one of the reasons why Raimi's SM2 is so darn good.
I don't need any more Goblins, or Vultures, or Lizards, and I don't need Spidey to save the world.

My dream Spidey flick would center around a simple museum heist.
With the only "villains" being the Fox and Black Cat.
The possibilities of having those 3 together fascinate me.

I reckon there is a happy medium between what you're saying and what has already been done. He definitely shouldn't be saving the world and mostly should be keeping crime rates low, earning the trust of the public and saving his own skin. Something that has been lightly touched upon but not to the extent it should be. I don't recall the plot in the Amazing Spider-Man 2 being devastating for the Planet. Something like that but mixed in with better motives and more light crime fighting should be good.

The one that let me down the most was Ivan Vanko/Whiplash. Mickey was a terrific actor for the part, and they skirted close several times... But I was disappointed they took the old "baddie dies at the end" approach. I prefer another philosophy of warfare -- "the best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." All the way through that film, I was hoping Tony would put the pieces together, apologize, point out he had nothing to do with it, but he can try to make it right, acknowledge Ivan's brilliance... Long story short, give us a cinematic version of how Crimson Dynamo changed sides in the comics and became one of Iron Man's fiercest allies. I hold out hope that the armor protected him from the drones blowing up and he's in some secure SHIELD facility somewhere waiting for us to catch up with him again.--Jonah

Wow. That would have been much better.
I liked IM2 after watching a few more times... but more as a background noise, no brain activity required movie.
I've said it ad nauseum but I can't stand Cheadle as Rhodey. I was flippin amped when Terrence Howard said "next time baby". I was so looking forward to seeing him suit up.
Then we got Cheadle and it was such a let down when War Machine finally showed up as a Hammer pawn. One cool thing from IM2, though, was Gary Shandling, since he was actually HYDRA and you realize in CA TWS that he was trying to get the IM suit for them.

I've been thinking a bit about this. I'm sure all of Marvel Studio's decisions and these ideas would work out superbly but wouldn't it be Amazing if; for Civil war you didn't see Peter Parker and only Spider-Man until it was the "big Civil War reveal" from the comics and it turns out it's Tobey Maguire with a Brand New Costume. That's my ideal Movie.

Having Spider-Bland in the film would be anything but amazing. Also, consider that with the exception of Daredevil and soon Spider-Man none of the MCU superheroes have secret identities, so the conflict isn't going to be about who is under the mask. Thus, there's no point to unmasking Spider-Man publically and even if there were there won't be any time to show Spidey's supporting cast who would be the only ones to care about Peter being under the mask.

Having Spider-Bland in the film would be anything but amazing. Also, consider that with the exception of Daredevil and soon Spider-Man none of the MCU superheroes have secret identities, so the conflict isn't going to be about who is under the mask. Thus, there's no point to unmasking Spider-Man publically and even if there were there won't be any time to show Spidey's supporting cast who would be the only ones to care about Peter being under the mask.

I agree with everything you just said. I just thought my idea would appeal to a wider audience. I hear a lot of people wanting movies to be consistent to the comics which is why I said that. I hear a lot of negativity about the Webb series and Tobey has more nostalgia appeal. I just want a surprise that it's already an established actor. In all honesty I reckon Spider-Man should be perpetually rebooted so years from now a Spider-Verse could be done. I don't really like any of the Spider-Verse stories I've seen or read but I just want to see Tobey and Andrew together. I prefer Andrew Garfield but I just thought it'd be a bigger deal if it were Tobey. I have a better idea than Spider-Verse that I'd rather not disclose. I don't want the movies to be consistent to the comics and I think it's a lot better when secret identities don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back