Spider-Man: Homecoming

Re: New Spider-Man Movie in MCU (July 28, 2017)

Wow, I for one, find this to be terrible news. They should have either have gotten the full rights back or leave it the hell alone. Spiderman doesn't need to be in the MCU if it's going to be on Sonys term. If Sony will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films then you can bet they will bitch about every decision... you all saw the emails. I personally don't think this will end well for the MCU, specially concidering that Sony can now use MCU figures.

I think you're overreading there. Marvel and Sony are discussing Marvel characters appearing in future Spider-Man films beyond this one. I agree that Sony having creative control isn't necessarily the best thing, but you can also read this move as a recognition that, truly, they cannot manage this franchise on their own and need to bring in help. If that's the attitude, then it would seem like they'd be more likely to let the Marvel crew handle the creative end. I think the bottom line is that Sony gets to keep most of the money and have the final say on the films, but is hopefully smart enough to stay the hell out of the way.

Another negative aspect from this deal is that now Marvel will never fully have creative control over Spidey. They will never get the rights fully back. If Disney had waited, eventually Sony would have given up on Spidernam (considering they cant make a good movie to save their lives) and they rights would revert back.

Well, we still don't know what the story is with the rights. This could just be a deal that lasts while the rights are in Sony's hands, but which could evaporate as soon as the license expires. We don't know the terms of the license. We don't know if those terms were modified by the current deal, or if this is a separate arrangement which doesn't affect things like when and how the license terminates.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are many worrisome aspects about Sony having some creative input into the MCU. My faith in the prospect is founded solely on my faith in Kevin Feige to get the right things done. I don't think he would have green lit the project if it could derail the MCU.

Courtsey of a friend on Facebook... Right in the FEELS!

10993090_10153731119145942_2327188053986823923_n.jpg

Definitely agree Disney and Fox need to work something out to get X-men or at a minimum Wolverine into the MCU.
Ideally, a deal that would bring us World War Hulk would be a dream come true.

The only thing I think Disney/Marvel needs to get back from Fox is Silver Surfer, Galactus and anything to do with the Shi'ar Empire particularly Gladiator and the Imperial Guard. Considering how pivotal they are when it comes to things GoTG and Thanos.

And with the news of Spidey crossing over, who is anxious for or dreading this?:

th

Last edited:

I could not be more excited about today's news! I just wish they had decided to keep Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. In my opinion, he was great in the role.

Add me to the list of those disappointed by this. I love the way the Marvel Movie Universe has come together which has allowed minor comic characters to shine... I think adding Spider-Man to that mix will disrupt that balance. Spidey has always worked best as a solo character for me - and while he has worked well in some situations (his relationship with Johnny Storm comes to mind), he's been best as a loner.

I understand his importance to Civil War - but, I looked forward to seeing a more minor character take that role and shining because of it.

I also felt that the last two Spider-Man movies were terrible (with ASM2 - outside of Garfield's well played Spidey - was the worst). I think some guidance from Marvel on this upcoming movie will help out his solo stuff considerably. I look forward to Spidey being recast, while Garfield was solid in costume, I thought his Peter Parker left a lot to be desired. Likewise, Emma Stone was great... but, I still think she would've been a better MJ than Gwen.

I was one of the naysayers who didn't believe Sony and Marvel/Disney would be able to work out a co-prod deal but glad I'm proven wrong! It'd be very interesting to see this play out - how Spidey fits into the MCU and possibly Civil War, at what age (presumably) Peter Parker will be, which story arc they start him off with, etc. Sony getting final creative control is concerning but Sony and Marvel Studios have had a pretty good relationship so hopefully there won't be too much drama there. I also believe final creative control only applies to the solo films, as I really don't think they'd give Sony the ability to shut down a Marvel/Disney film like CW or Avengers IW simply because Spidey is a guest star in it. I pray Arad getting exec producer cred was basically a bribe to get him as far away from the movie as far as possible.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about Spidey overshadowing the current Avengers and GotG lineups. Marvel/Disney will probably still put equal if not greater effort in characters they own outright and aren't going to steer away from the franchise diversification strategy that's worked for them since 2008. Marvel Studios could have 3 billion dollar franchises here - Avengers, Iron Man, and now Spider-Man. In-SANE. Granted there's no solo IM film in the foreseeable future so maybe that's where Spidey steps in.

Ultimately as long as the content is good and all the storylines mesh well together leading up to Spidey joining the Avengers in IW, this is gonna be a treat for everyone. If his first appearance is indeed CW, it's gonna be Cap vs IM along with Black Panther AND Spider-Man making their first appearances :eek

There are many worrisome aspects about Sony having some creative input into the MCU. My faith in the prospect is founded solely on my faith in Kevin Feige to get the right things done. I don't think he would have green lit the project if it could derail the MCU.

I agree that there is no way in hell Marvel Studios is going to allow its comic film juggernaut to be derailed by Sony's mismanagement of a single character. I expect they'd kill the deal before allowing that to happen. Too much money is at stake.

Add me to the list of those disappointed by this. I love the way the Marvel Movie Universe has come together which has allowed minor comic characters to shine... I think adding Spider-Man to that mix will disrupt that balance. Spidey has always worked best as a solo character for me - and while he has worked well in some situations (his relationship with Johnny Storm comes to mind), he's been best as a loner.

I understand his importance to Civil War - but, I looked forward to seeing a more minor character take that role and shining because of it.

I also felt that the last two Spider-Man movies were terrible (with ASM2 - outside of Garfield's well played Spidey - was the worst). I think some guidance from Marvel on this upcoming movie will help out his solo stuff considerably. I look forward to Spidey being recast, while Garfield was solid in costume, I thought his Peter Parker left a lot to be desired. Likewise, Emma Stone was great... but, I still think she would've been a better MJ than Gwen.

I'm less familiar with the Civil War storyline (I'm kinda burnt out on multi-title year-long crossovers at this point), but I agree that Spidey has always been more of a loner character. Well, not a loner, but rather that he worked better as a standalone character who only occasionally interacts with other Marvel heroes, and usually those local to the New York area like Daredevil, or other lower-tier heroes who'd run into him like The Punisher. He's not part of any team, or at least wasn't from the 1960s up through the 1990s, I think, so, his overlap with other characters would seem to be less about actual involvement with them, and more about them all being in NYC at the same time to fight...something. Spidey is usually battling individual villains, or maybe a small group of superpowered villains, rather than some organization like HYDRA or galactic threats like Thanos. Sure, if the Chittari attack NYC, he'll be there saving people, but otherwise, he's busy dealing with the Kingpin and Hobgoblin and their ilk.

And I definitely agree that the last two (actually the last three if you include the final Raimi film) Spidey films have been...weak. Garfield was generally solid, and I think could've played a good Peter Parker if given a better script, and Emma Stone would've been an excellent Mary Jane (but did ok as Gwen Stacy). Really, I think the ASM films were just...not very well told stories. But the actors could've done well.

All that said, I think it's still possible for this new film to do well, given the people involved in it, assuming Sony doesn't muck it up.

Along those lines, I'm really, REALLY hoping we don't get yet another origin story for this film. Do it in the credits, the way they did for The Incredible Hulk or the second (or third?) Raimi Spider-Man film, and just show Spidey in action. Maybe reference how he was there in the background during the invasion of New York, but just focus on the new story rather than telling the same one we've seen TWICE now.

I was up until 3 a.m. last night flipping out about this.

Still though, I'm cautiously optimistic. This could either be amazing or the beginning of the end for the MCU.

This article brings up a lot of good points. What sticks out to me, however, is that the deal is over Spider-man. Nowhere has anyone said Peter Parker. Moviegoers have already seen Peter Parker's origin story twice. We* do not want to see it again. But a new character under the mask, using Miles Morales, would let them still do an origin story, but one that's fresh to the audience. Heck, have Peter's Spidey show up in Cap3, and then something happen, which causes Miles to take up the role in the solo film. I'd enjoy that.

*By "we" I mean the general public, not any person or people specifically.

Wow, I for one, find this to be terrible news. They should have either have gotten the full rights back or leave it the hell alone. Spiderman doesn't need to be in the MCU if it's going to be on Sonys term. If Sony will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films then you can bet they will bitch about every decision... you all saw the emails. I personally don't think this will end well for the MCU, specially concidering that Sony can now use MCU figures.

Another negative aspect from this deal is that now Marvel will never fully have creative control over Spidey. They will never get the rights fully back. If Disney had waited, eventually Sony would have given up on Spidernam (considering they cant make a good movie to save their lives) and they rights would revert back.

My only hope is that Sony keeps it's mouth shut and let Marvel do iIt's thing.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I don't think we're giving Fiege enough credit here if we think him and Marvel Studios signed the deal knowing Pascal and Sony would be bitching and moaning about every decision. Both parties know that Marvel has all the momentum to be calling the creative shots. I suspect final creative control was given to Sony since they probably wouldn't budge on financing the film, and it's almost unheard of for a studio financier to not retain final creative decision. Also just to be clear here, Sony has no input at all on the other Marvel Studios films (no way in hell Marvel would've given them that), with the sole exception of having some input over how Spidey is featured as a supporting character. Creative control likely applies to the solo Spidey films and even then, since they brought Marvel on board to co-produce, I would imagine it's Fiege's baby to raise and Sony is just there to make sure they don't trash Sony and its partners, like for example having one of Pascal's emails in the background of a scene :lol Besides we're also not privy to all the deal terms, who's to say that there aren't required conditions (i.e. impasse for n length of time, not achieving certain milestones) that need to be met before Sony can exercise its final decision right.

With this deal, I now sorta get why Marvel agreed to co-produce with Sony. Waiting has its risks because Sony could continue hurting the brand, and while ASM2 was a disappointment, it still pulled in $700M theatrically, not a small sum and more than likely made a small profit. It would take a very long string of bombs for Sony to call it quits, and time is money especially when Marvel is launching a massive team-up in Avengers 3.

This article brings up a lot of good points. What sticks out to me, however, is that the deal is over Spider-man. Nowhere has anyone said Peter Parker. Moviegoers have already seen Peter Parker's origin story twice. We* do not want to see it again. But a new character under the mask, using Miles Morales, would let them still do an origin story, but one that's fresh to the audience. Heck, have Peter's Spidey show up in Cap3, and then something happen, which causes Miles to take up the role in the solo film. I'd enjoy that

Or they could just do a quick recap of the MCU origin story like what they did in Incredible Hulk. I personally don't think they'll use Morales, to the broader audience many of whom don't read comics, Peter Parker is still Spider-Man. If they were serious about Miles Morales in film, you'd start seeing him play Spidey in the cartoons first, that would be the early indicator to watch out for.

The only thing I think Disney/Marvel needs to get back from Fox is Silver Surfer, Galactus and anything to do with the Shi'ar Empire particularly Gladiator and the Imperial Guard. Considering how pivotal they are when it comes to things GoTG and Thanos.

And with the news of Spidey crossing over, who is anxious for or dreading this?:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608052200020839512&pid=15.1&P=0

I'm really hoping the Iron Spider suit makes an appearance!

This is some good news! Being its in the MCU (#itsallconnected) I hope they connect him as a hero who wants to keep New York safe after the Chitauri invasion, he could be like "my uncle was a NY Invasion victim, we need to keep this city safe!" And then he can be like "I was on a field trip to D.C. when Project Insight was happening..." blah blah some more connected material as filler to make it seem fluid and planned. This is literally a game changer, since Marvel always has everything planned out years in advance. I guess they can start fresh with his story and do whatever they want to add him to the mix.

Now, WOLVERINE needs to hop in and he can be like "whoa I just snapped out of a 50 year space-out and the only memories I have are from an alternate timeline, well u guys are sorta like the guys I lived with, the Avengers Tower is sorta like the mansion I used to live in, so I'll join you now!" haha something like that lol

Yeah it is very likely that there will be no origin story. Could be that Spidey just a makes a direct appearance in Civil War with his character's recent history of crime fighting established in quick flashbacks.

I think going with Miles Morales rather than Peter Parker would be interesting. Adults who don't read comics or watch cartoons will have no idea who he is, but it almost doesn't matter. As much as I love Parker, he is the Spider-Man I know and grew up with, I don't know that I could blame them if they went the other way this time.

Hence it was not part of the core 5 things Marvel must do, it was a postend suggestion.

Though Miles is embraced by lot of the comic readers, Peter Parker is what most of the world knows as the alter ego of Spider-Man. With Spidey making an entry into the MCU it would not be ideal to go with a different Spidey now. Maybe if needed they could introduce him down the line in the sequels as taking on the mantle.

Didn't Garfield once say he wanted to see Miles come in after him on screen? as Dessa said, nobody has used the name Peter Parker but only said Spidey would appear. which could imply that it wont be Peter, but news about new characters or stories are always 50/50 and right now we're all in hopes without the whole story

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back