"BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

Way to go gentlemen! This just proves you can NEVER have TOO much reference. Timing IS everything it seems.

Later this afternoon I'm doing the "were the heck do ALL these decals go?" layout. LOL this is great stuff!

Thks!
Eric, does this mean you've finished the draft artwork for all the noted (so far) items?

BTW, I'm sending you the spreadsheet current as of last night in afew minutes. We're up to 97, plus the new 'red circle' ones that JPCO found... note I've added the 'tags' that represent the 'facing surfaces' for each decal so they can be grouped on the decal accordingly; since there are multiple instances of some decals, they don't all end up in the same block, if they are being grouped for ease of application.

R/ Robert

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Robert, the photos I have are from the net forgot where it is from but it is possibly from the Onedrive archive. I was looking for the one you mentioned near the disk but so far could not locate any red & white decals there.
[ JPCO, the one I'm looking for is the one at the bottom left in your first image...]

View attachment 444332View attachment 444334

Here are some more I found...

View attachment 444336View attachment 444337View attachment 444338View attachment 444339

The first photo here is from the bottom bow section, very interesting find...there are two(2) Red circles possibly Japanese airplane Red Suns and Twin Black Strips. [Good one!}
Unsure what is the Zoomed out photo though. [I've noted that one already as well; there are actually a surprising number of decals in this area, which I found going through the 'extreme' close-up images. However, I missed the red circle ones!]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[UPDATED
: The indistinct decal is item #77 on the spreadsheet. The twin red 'dome on white square' shapes & 'twin black lines with red crescent' are numbered items #98 & #119, respectively.]

The second photo is located in the Bow Port Landing gear box (hehehe...I learn that from Robert), the Black & Redish decal looks like the champion sticker. [This one (and it's companion) is new; need to find some close-ups of this area to confirm, but I think you're right on the 'Champion' instance.]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[UPDATED
: The 'champion' decal seems, in close-up, to NOT be a champion decal but a black & white decal of similar shape. I have numbered this item #118.

The last two where taken from the AMT Northwest Trucking tractor sheet Robert posted earlier - (cut from the NW decal). [Good find! I'd seen these but may not have added to the Tracker as of yet; it helps you've ID'ed the source, too!]
[UPDATED
: The red&blue w/ white decal on the inboard end of the cockpit access tunnel is item #70 on the spreadsheet.]

View attachment 444340View attachment 444341View attachment 444342 [All these are on the tracking spreadsheet, so those are good. Really need to get you a copy!! Send me your email (the forum messaging doesn't allow me to send file attachments...]

Great work! You're the master of the 'long shot' survey, for sure!

R/ Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,

Post 95, what is decal marked as 94? Looks like a black square with two red lines slightly off the ends? I'm going to assume thats what it looks like, medal ribbon?

I'd like to get caught up on creating the decals you guys are finding I haven't done yet.

thks,
e

Robert,

Post 95, what is decal marked as 94? Looks like a black square with two red lines slightly off the ends? I'm going to assume thats what it looks like, medal ribbon?

I'd like to get caught up on creating the decals you guys are finding I haven't done yet.

thks,
e

E, it is a decal that has three identical , rectangular blocks in a row. The blocks are black or dark blue, spacing slightly less than the width of the blocks; each block has two narrow red strips bordering them, with a clear gap offset that is approximately twice the width of the narrow red strips. I called it 'medal ribbon' because it looks like the chest ribbons worn by the military in place of the full medals (the infamous 'chest salad'.) I suspect it was 'sliced' from a longer stripe decal from a racing car sheet, or similar.

Recommend clicking the attached thumbnail images, saving down for local manipulation, then measuring directly off the screen for your proportions, and once you have that rough image drafted, "skew" it so the sides are parallel and see how that looks (for correcting the angle.) At least, that is probably the method I'd use, I expect your graphics experience far exceeds mine...

Did you get me email with the tracking spreadsheet?

Thanks! Regards, Robert

Last edited:
got it! I sent you a reply email. I'm drawing all these from scratch in illustrator. As with any endeavor there are quite a few way's to skin a cat.:)

Just remember kids, cutting ALL the little double black = marks will make your model very acurate. And you'll need a few new xacto blades.:facepalm lame attempt at humor.

I was hoping someone would start working up the 'little black marks' map, but that is probably something that can be effectively 'faked' using a technique similar to the original modelers'. In the end, we can't be 100% since there are so many bits and pieces that are missing, including an unknown number of decals. We do what we can and edu-guess the rest!

BTW, Eric what file formats will work with Illustrator? I have OpenOffice Draw that I'm pretty proficient using and am wondering if the two can 'talk'.

R/ Robert

e mail me back with the earlier e mail i sent you. Pro design programs (Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop, illustrator, Quark Express), etc, can all import standard graphic formats, eps, jpg, png, tif, pdf, etc. I'm creating these using Illustrator vector art due to scalability with no loss of resolution. Billboard size down to pin head and still be legible. The other consideration is print.

Most of the time non pro graphic software is not as robust and causes issues when printing to a professional press.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would start working up the 'little black marks' map, but that is probably something that can be effectively 'faked' using a technique similar to the original modelers'. In the end, we can't be 100% since there are so many bits and pieces that are missing, including an unknown number of decals. We do what we can and edu-guess the rest!

BTW, Eric what file formats will work with Illustrator? I have OpenOffice Draw that I'm pretty proficient using and am wondering if the two can 'talk'.

R/ Robert

" was hoping someone would start working up the 'little black marks' map,"

LOL. uhm, that would be me.

Another new one: tagged as #100 (#99 is still being searched) is a colored strip located on the port side "chassis box" on the upper hull forward. Obviously a slice of something, it appears to be a red & black (?) design.

Regards, Robert

Attachments

• no_100.jpg
    no_100.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 104
  • no_100_locator.jpg
    no_100_locator.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 115
Here's one not previously posted, #81; very tattered it will be extremely difficult to identify the source.
R/ Robert

Attachments

• no_81.jpg
    no_81.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 106
  • no_81_locator.jpg
    no_81_locator.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 130
E, here are some graphics from your latest draft that need correction:
#42 & #43: Upper is the graphic, lower is from the source kit original sheet. Sides are parallel, blocks regular, etc. The angled appearance was from camera perspectives.
no_42_43_correction.jpg

#97: Cut Valvoline logo was cut higher (I determined this by overlaying on the image):
no_97_corrected.jpgCORRECTION to my correction! The first, uncorrected version is more correct! Also, the white circle, which has NO black outline, is bounded by a red square.

#46: This illustrates the use of the railroad data plate 'arrays' in place of the simplified design; technically, not all the data plates are the same, so perhaps four different variants with different color arrangements would be sufficient to represent the original application:
no_46_correction.jpg

#10: Remove the text from below the strip, as it does not appear in the images (top is your original graphic, lower without the text) The images show a shadow from the edge of the detail the decal is on, which gives the impression that there is something below it:
no_10_corrected.jpg

I am integrating the updated graphics into the referential page so to show the latest and greatest. Tracker spreadsheet is going out in a few moments via email. NOTE: #99 is in green highlight because it needs a better image to work from.

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
E, to clarify a couple of items:
#95: The text comes from these areas of the Microscale sheet and the two pieces were applied side by side.
no_95_source.jpgno_95.jpg

#16: This is what it should look like, made up of data plates and the 'shape' at the top, all from the Microscale sheet. Notice how the 'shape' looks like a small star and bar.:
no_16_source.jpg

Regards, Robert

E, here are some graphics from your latest draft that need correction:
#42 & #43: Upper is the graphic, lower is from the source kit original sheet. Sides are parallel, blocks regular, etc. The angled appearance was from camera perspectives.
View attachment 444638

#97: Cut Valvoline logo was cut higher (I determined this by overlaying on the image):
View attachment 444639
#46: This illustrates the use of the railroad data plate 'arrays' in place of the simplified design; technically, not all the data plates are the same, so perhaps four different variants with different color arrangements would be sufficient to represent the original application:
View attachment 444640

#10: Remove the text from below the strip, as it does not appear in the images (top is your original graphic, lower without the text) The images show a shadow from the edge of the detail the decal is on, which gives the impression that there is something below it:
View attachment 444643

I am integrating the updated graphics into the referential page so to show the latest and greatest. Tracker spreadsheet is going out in a few moments via email. NOTE: #99 is in green highlight because it needs a better image to work from.

Regards, Robert

Robert,

Are you using the latest version (sent PDF) as the corrections on #42/42 (square not oval) have been done also they need to be 180 flop.

Also please do NOT post (pdf) it in it's entirety, as work in progress and muddies the process with incorrect art.

#46 You are correct, BAD reference on my part.

#10 fantastic planet reference shows what LOOKS(?) to be a text block underneath it (see attached)
kg_m-falcon_-045.jpgkg_m-falcon_-126.jpgkg_m-falcon_-042.jpg

#97 I can only find this on the L rear engine deck by the center vent, VERY CHIPED and faded looks to show(?) most of the V, can't really tell.

kg_m-falcon_-105a.jpg

#95 and #16 Makes life MUCH easier!

Thks,
e

Hi Robert,

I got your Excel file...I modify it a bit and paste all the photos to corresponding Decal numbers ...including revisions..

Can you tell me what Reference Decal No. is this... I cannot locate it in the list....

Untitled.jpg

Hi Robert, I got your Excel file...I modify it a bit and paste all the photos to corresponding Decal numbers ...including revisions.. Can you tell me what Reference Decal No. is this... I cannot locate it in the list....

Hey, that is item #29 (description may need some tweaking.) See post #56 for the latest updated 'numbered design sheet'. Note, in the spreadsheet on the "Locations" page, I have recorded the original OneDrive file names so we can backtrack to the source documentation. You have posted your extracted images (as I do) with your own file names, but keep the linkages intact so we can go back to Stephen's images if needed. Any new info you have, please pass back to me for integration as I'm acting as the 'version manager' on the spreadsheet.

Eric, I was using the PDF you emailed me on the 26th (the 02-26-15 PDF file.) You may have corrected items #42 & #43 during the interim. For #10, the black detail you are interpreting as text, and I was seeing as a shadow is actually a black line along the bottom & right side edges of the decal. See my post #51 for the close-up image. Also, the red white and blue 'bar' is outlined in a thin black line, also visible in the close-up.

On item #97, again Stephen's images provided me a close-up that I used to determine the cut edge of the "V". I think they cut it that way because it no longer looks like a 'V' but two diagonal lines...

Now, lastly I must report I made a mistake in post #115. I put together the example image from memory (duh! I should know better...) and it actually should have only ONE of the data plates, oriented vertically (90 degrees from what I posted) under the little 'dumbbell' shape. At least, it does illustrate how Microscale varied the colors in the data plate stripes, including blue, red, white, and light blue (even possibly yellow...) Truly, that is some nice decal printing (we're talking HO scale, so really small to begin with...) Anyhow, obviously we can't expect to achieve that level of accuracy but a little variation would be noticeable.

Regards, Robert

All, just for my own edification, everyone is aware if you click an attachment in a post, then click the pop-up window, you will be seeing the full size attachment image - right? At least, that is the way it works in my Firefox & Internet Explorer browsers. I just learned how to put the images in line with the text, improving the readability. Anyway, for what it's worth...
Regards, Robert

EM, here is the scoop on item #24, the solid black circle; it should be updated to include the associated black line running out it's center:no_24.jpg

There are eleven of them arrayed on the dish face.
R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back