Avengers 2 HULKBUSTER, or how to throw out your back in 3 easy steps

BumblebeeRecycd

Hi all, I have done a few giant build here and this one is going to be my most challenging. 9'6" tall 4'8' wide at the shoulders with a 11 foot reach between arms. 11 Arc reactors, 400 LEDs, 30 watt PA system, stilts, puppeteered head and arms. Estimated weight is 70 pounds. Those are my goals, this will be my 15th Giant Robot (Power Armor), due to my experience I have a very good chance of pulling this off the way I want to. While this will be my first Iron Man build, and many others have done tons of them, I feel there are many challenges to building large that I have already overcome. This build will be completely freehand, and I will use Aluminum, EVA, polycarbonate, foamcore, expanded PVC, fiberglass and some craft foam. I talk about throwing out your back in the header, not because of the weight, but because of the leverage. As things move farther out from your core, the weight increases geometrically so a 100 pounds on a backpack feels far lighter than 50 pounds spread out two feet away from your extremes. I already have a system to bring most of that weight back to the core, and it worked out really well for my Titian, so I know I can make it happen. I hope you all will join me for the ride, and offer advice and criticism. The photos from the statue and toy have been really helpful, but if you guys find any other sources please post them as well.
I am starting with the feet. Feet are really hard, and don't get much notice. They will be stepped on, kicked and a poor set will prevent you from taking stairs, or escalators. If they don't flex right, you can tear one off with just a misplaced step. To my joy and frustration, the Avengers model is far more detailed than the comics one, and I am building the movie version. The comics one naturally has less detail since it was hand drawn with lots of smooth curves ( those curves offer some real challenges though), while the movie version has all the endless detail of a CGI monster. The movie feet have rear facing toes as well as needing to flex in the front. This means that my 25 " foot will have to flex well enough in both directions to allow my 9" stilt foot real purchase on a stair when I go up OR down, As I am 245 pounds, this will leave 320 pounds of pressure on each foot as I travel. I have in the past sheered off a set of toes from this exact problem. Here is the start of one of the feet.
AHB2.jpgHB15.jpg

Oh man this is going to be a good one. May i ask, is it possible to show pics of your past work. Best of luck on this adventure...GM

OK, here is some more progress, In the movie version, HB has 2 rear facing toes, both at a 45* angle. I am choosing to have theme rear facing, but with very little angle. This is not an artistic choice, as I step down a stair, the toes will have to fold in to pockets I have carved into the back of the foot. If the toes were at the 45* angle, then they would be far more likely to hook, and tear off. In addition, when swinging my massive ( I mean really massive ) legs back and forth past each other with every step, I felt having a hook sticking out ready to catch/ trip/tear off just seamed like a bad idea. I have also chosen to make them smaller than depicted on the toy, this is to make the logistics of having these rear facing little nightmares a little bit less frustrating. After all, looking straight down will be near impossible, looking straight down, and behind myself is unrealistic. Well, with that small amount of background into the thought process for every inch of this monster, here you go..Toes facing backwards :).
Keep inAHB3.jpgHB12.jpg

Hey I remember seeing you at Boston comic con! Your Bumblebee costume was AMAZING I remember you walked right by me in it and I was like "WOAH this guy is HUGE". keep up the great work my friend.

This build will be more than twice the volume of Bumblebee, sadly, I am not sure I will be able to fly this build. I have taken BB on dozens of flights. I hope to make the HulkBuster as agile as Bumblebee, though 80% is more realistic.Thanks for the props though :)

Free hand :) Here is a better shot of the legs I know everybody is looking for files, but I have always just looked, cut and glued. Sorry if I do not have a map for you guys, just the one in my head.

AHB12.jpg

Murdoch, I'll just kick out hat ceiling and the kitchen above that tomorrow. I think a 900 sq foot shop is not to shabby, but in my next home, there will be a stand alone shop/garage :) Logan, Quan is a very valued member of the team and brings excellent seamstress skills in addition to her foam cutting :) She is currently starting her own first giant robot build and I could not be more proud. Here is a progress shot on the codpiece, estimated waistline 54" :) .... or "Thank god there's finally an IM suit that does not require a 28" waistline "AHB13.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back