HalloweenCostumes.com “Back to the Future Hoverboard”

How did everyone attach Vormz pink footstrap? I'm thinking just gluing it on top of the original one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strap might not glue on properly if you glue it to the old strap. I know , I tried, I failed. So I removed the original strap and installed Vormz strap the same way except I did not loop it through the existing slot as the original. Instead I loop over the entire pad and left it as is. It won't go anywhere and looks better IMO.

See below. I worked on both hoverboards with my 4 year old daughter. We had fun, there not perfect, but the point was to teach my daughter a fun hobby. ;)
The one on the left I used the Honeycomb lenticular in clear. You can see a couple of visible glue spots. The right one I went with Roland's Hoverboard graphic printed on vinyl. Both are only redone on top. Nothing done to the bottom yet. Over all a fun project.
(Special thanks to Roland for his amazing Hoverboard graphics.)
image.jpg

I've just finished my Hoverboard mods using the great kit from Vormz. I had some trouble figuring out how I was going to attach the fuzzy footstrap...I ended up cutting the original strap, leaving 2 small sections on each side. Then using a small screwdriver I forced the fuzzy strap down the gaps on the plate, without losing the original sections of strap.
I then simply stapled the new strap to the old one. The pink fur covers the staples anyway, but if you really wanted you could push the stapled part back into the footplate.
Works really well for those who don't want to take apart the board. Cheers
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433867794.818433.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433867805.656606.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433867817.529109.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433867834.087447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting ready to undertake an HC board upgrade to something akin to a hero board. I've got the HC board en-route to me right now, and I'm going order some Sommers lenticular, strap and Matty logos from Vormz, and velcro from ladesigner2012 on eBay. I was going to stick with the stock hoverpads and either fabricate the battery box and extensions myself or wait for formula388's run of them, but now I'm leaning more toward one of his full sets including the pads. That's all well and good, but I'm running into a bit of a roadblock on how to handle the rest of the decals and need a little advice.

It's been said here that Roland's graphics don't fit these boards, but I'm thinking I could just get the "Hover Board" stripes from his graphic printed on vinyl (and perhaps the other yellow sections) and maybe use tape for the white stripes, bottom green stripes, and pink non-velcro stripes. If I were to go that route, I would need to know the width on the stripes as well as suggestions for color (if someone knows of a seller on eBay with the right sizes and colors, that would be fantastic). I could measure myself when the board arrives and just duplicate size-wise what is already on there, but I know the existing color isn't really hero-like. Another option I considered was to paint the stripes, but I would love to hear about any experience anyone has had both with painting onto the lenticular as well as how well masking tape works on that material. If someone with a properly modified Roland graphic could upload it, I'd be very tempted to just get the entirety of the graphic (minus the faux lenticular, though I will say looking at the files that it looks VERY good) printed and use that.

A hoverboard will be my first attempt at a prop replica and I'm super excited to do it. I was fortunate enough to be at Universal on a tour a week prior to when they filmed the 2015 scenes. The tour took us to an area that the guide said was a film set. We were told that they could not tell us the name of the film but we would likely be able to guess what it was. So the little tram thing rolled into an area and just to my right there sat the Delorean in the alley. As we passed along slowly behind the buildings, we'd pass another gap through which I could see a bit of the future... The Clock Tower... the Cafe 80's... Hill Valley, 2015. That day in '88 (I think) at the age of 12, I saw a vision of the future. I've literally come back to that future. It took 27 years to get here and I want my hoverboard...

Here is my latest HC hoverboard upgrade and almost done. (This is my third attempt). Yes I know, it's not 100% accurate, but I love it.
A lot of work, especially with the lenticular material. But certainly well worth it. The lower green velcro needs to be re-aligned and the small round hole will be done last.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks great, nice work! The Time Machine Restoration team wrote me back after I inquired about a screen accurate prop. They were at the eFX booth over the weekend, and said that eFX will be unveiling a screen accurate “Marty” hoverboard to go alongside the “Griff” board that they are releasing. Anything is better than what is currently available, so hopefully they knock it out of the park. As for pricing, they didn’t say but they did say that it will NOT be a toy like the one Mattel released, it will be a nice prop.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas in regards to framing a hoverboard? I have seen a lot of props get framed, usually using Plexiglas or something similar. Any ideas of companies that could whip something together to show off the board?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas in regards to framing a hoverboard? I have seen a lot of props get framed, usually using Plexiglas or something similar. Any ideas of companies that could whip something together to show off the board?

This is not really framed, per se, but I've seen a lot of pics of this screen used board in an exhibit (in Italy I believe).

1437922561-exhibition-the-movie-back-to-the-future-in-settimo-torinese_8083401.jpghover-board-ritorno-al-futuro.jpg

Something similar to that, but not as thick. something where you can have the board and maybe a photo from the movie. I'd like that I just have no idea about going about it.... you'd think there would be companies that specialize in it.

Has anyone found the correct color for the green velcro? I know it varies on different boards, but mostly it's a warm, muted green-yellow color. I bought a "luminous green" color from ladesigner2012 on ebay, but it's more of a cooler green (see below):

Hero board (warm green):
HB_velcro.JPG

ebay (cool green):
green_velcro_ladesigner2012.JPG

Well, I found an etsy seller who has much more variety (but you have to buy a huge roll). They show loop velcro, but you get hook with it.

The (wrong) color I have now is closer to the green circled on the bottom left. The two greens at the top right look a lot closer to the real thing. Hard to tell with the different lighting conditions in the movie. My gut says the top right, but some of the photos look more like the second one down. Which one do you guys think looks closer?
miBonCrAft_VelcroHookFastener27yardsRoll1.jpgHB_velcro.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back