Thermal Detonator - activation switch variations - WHY??

spoudastis

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am currently making a thermal detonator and ran across three variations of the activation switch tank treads. It is clear that all three are the same TD, they have corresponding unique markings however it is obvious that not all of the markings are the same, as if it has been further weathered over time. Stranger still is that the tank treads appear different in each image.

All spikes:
Class-A_thermal_detonator.jpg

Half spikes:
thermad.jpg

No spikes:

3315127413_8fb17b84b4.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? When i saw it recently it had no spikes like the last image.

Yes, probably that's the point.
Or gone during casting and cleaning the cast, too.

No issue with the cast...all pics show the very same prop, the ONLY difference is the time these pictures were taken.
Remember that these props were handled quite often being part of the various shows/ exhibitions and for being photographed. I BET every "handler", even while wearing white cotton gloves, HAD TO play with the TD switch at least once (resulting in ..OOPS, I broke of some threads. Hope nobody noticed it :lol).

Well...I would ;)

Markus

It seems that is the most likely answer. The rubber of the treads seems soft but it could have become brittle over time and like you said simply broke off. I guess the real question for myself is should I build it the way it was originally or how it is now? Thanks for the response guys.

you know if you want it accurate, the halves will have to be clear, right?
The dark spots show the chroming peeling off and what we see ain't black, but the inside of the detonator ;)

Wow ... thanks for sharing those pictures ... and looking at that last picture ... you can see through the outer shell into the interior, yes?

Chaim

Absolutely correct R2Dan. I have a newly created WIP thread which will document this build. The plan is to use acrylic hemispheres then get it vacumetalized before chipping it.

http://www.therpf.com/f79/thermal-detonator-wip-thread-233154/

you know if you want it accurate, the halves will have to be clear, right?
The dark spots show the chroming peeling off and what we see ain't black, but the inside of the detonator ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back