Patrick Stewart says he would do Star Trek again!

TNG Trek movies... I'll give you those... they were all about the action....

Well, as some have defended First Contact I have to defend Generations. There's a very strong Trek theme of loss and acceptance. Despite it's mediocre execution it's very "Star Trek" and certainly the most so of the TNG films.

Open on the temporal distortion of the Nerada entering the JJ universe
In the distance you see the USS Kelvin slowly approaching
SUDDENLY another temporal rift opens! And it's the Enterprise D! (Why? Cause it's better than E)
And we flash to Picard giving the other "fire all weapons!"
Worf (in a gold uniform) "aye captain!"
And the Ent D obliterates the Nerada and enters back into a temporal rift.
Flash to bridge of the Kelvin:
"Mr Kirk! What was that?"
George Kirk: "I dunno."

TIMELINE RESTORED!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make it so!

It seemed to me that Nemesis was some kind of attempt to make a TNG Wrath of Khan.
TWOK seemed to be the gold standard I guess.
Clearly the studio recently thought so again.

You know what the real issue with Star Trek Nemesis going with the whole "The Wrath of Khan" routine? The TNG movies already did that. It was called Star Trek First Contact. A character hell bent on revenge, quotes Moby Dick and almost becomes undone by his obsession to make the enemy pay for what they did to him. It carried over themes from the TV storylines as well as actually develop Picard's character into more than he was previously.

When Nemesis tried using those theme, it forget the one crucial thing that made it all work. Having a point. Why is Shinzon's motivation so aimed at destroying the Federation when the story gives us no reason for it at all? He was enslaved by the Romulans as a child to die working in the mines and he wants to destroy the Federation for Romulus? It's almost like what we got was a first draft of a storyline that was never worked on again because everyone thought they would have an instant hit on their hands. To them the story did enough for what they hoped for. An action film with Patrick Stewart doing his Han Solo corridor blasting while shamelessly referencing The Wrath of Khan with no context.

The new movie could be the most important mission they ever faced: making Will Wheaton's character less annoying any way they can lol

Well, as some have defended First Contact I have to defend Generations. There's a very strong Trek theme of loss and acceptance. Despite it's mediocre execution it's very "Star Trek" and certainly the most so of the TNG films.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one... it touched on concepts of loss and acceptance, but it wasn't very "meta"... there was no greater takeaway from Generations IMO...

You had Soran who couldn't get over the loss of his family and was hell-bent on doing anything to rejoin them, but there was no redemption there... no "lesson learned".

The parallel theme of Picard losing his brother an nephew was supposed to be the counter point to Soran, but again, you didn't ever see Picard go down that same path only to realize just before it cost him everything how wrong that path was... there was no destructive path, no grieving, just a sudden acceptance.

As for Kirk, he was kind of shoehorned in this movie... there was no acceptance that "Commanding a starship is [his] first, best, destiny. Anything else is a waste of material." or coming to terms that it was time for him to allow the "next generation" to take over this path... he was just a convenient plot point.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one... it touched on concepts of loss and acceptance, but it wasn't very "meta"... there was no greater takeaway from Generations IMO...

You had Soran who couldn't get over the loss of his family and was hell-bent on doing anything to rejoin them, but there was no redemption there... no "lesson learned".

The parallel theme of Picard losing his brother an nephew was supposed to be the counter point to Soran, but again, you didn't ever see Picard go down that same path only to realize just before it cost him everything how wrong that path was... there was no destructive path, no grieving, just a sudden acceptance.

As for Kirk, he was kind of shoehorned in this movie... there was no acceptance that "Commanding a starship is [his] first, best, destiny. Anything else is a waste of material." or coming to terms that it was time for him to allow the "next generation" to take over this path... he was just a convenient plot point.

As I said, the execution wasn't great, but it was there. Much like ST5. Crappy movie, great concept under the mess.

Picard's loss had a devastating affect on him, begining the film with a feeling of lost time and the crushing knowledge that he's the end of his line. After experiencing the same bliss that Soran did in the Nexus he turns it down for reality and the resolve that time is there to remind us to appreciate the present.

Either way, my point is that it wasn't all about the action.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Open on the temporal distortion of the Nerada entering the JJ universe
In the distance you see the USS Kelvin slowly approaching
SUDDENLY another temporal rift opens! And it's the Enterprise D! (Why? Cause it's better than E)
And we flash to Picard giving the other "fire all weapons!"
Worf (in a gold uniform) "aye captain!"
And the Ent D obliterates the Nerada and enters back into a temporal rift.
Flash to bridge of the Kelvin:
"Mr Kirk! What was that?"
George Kirk: "I dunno."

TIMELINE RESTORED!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Write the whole screenplay and send it to Paramount! :D

In the fantasy world where I am Emperor:

I'd like a mix style of next gen and ds9 where you have a central base, but much of the story happening aboard ship away from the base. Still plenty of exploration, but also tied to a central location where various characters come and go.

The starbase is run by Admiral Picard. There is tension with possible future war with new never before seen enemy in uncharted lands that the new base borders. The primary ship assigned to that sector is captained by William Riker.

OR. Admiral Picard is performing an inspection on Captain Rikers ship when Oh noes! Q/wormhole/whater/insert-favorite-deus-ex-machina-here sends the ship into uncharted space and we get the series that voyager SHOULD have been, but fairly consistently failed to be.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back