Motor City Comic Con - Detroit, May 2015

Probably boycotting it this year due to the behavior of one of the organizers. They banned me from posting on their page because I verified very nicely for a friend that a celebrity signer left 2 hours early when the organizers said she didn't.

They banned me from their page two years ago after they asked for suggestions to make the show better and I posted a suggestion for vendor-only parking since we pay for a vendor pass. Lots of people are moving to Fanfare instead but I'll be at both.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I'm on that boycott list, too. I just can't tolerate their behavior based on the stories mentioned here and others I've heard. It's unfortunate that there isn't another Detroit based con that values and respects both their customers, vendors and others. I am just disgusted by the folks that run MCC.

I live in Michigan and I went to my first con last year, the wizard world chicago comic-con. I'll spend the few extra hours for the drive every year.

That's sad. Fanfare had very nice people working for it.

I started going to MCCC in the early 90s and it's gone downhill in terms of customer service, meanwhile prices keep getting higher and higher and they're packing more people in. When Stan Lee was there for one day, it shut the city of Novi down entirely. There were people who paid something like $200 (I don't remember the exact cost, does anyone else?) for the Stan Lee package and weren't even let into the venue because it was oversold.

Some new folks were just announced. Interesting mix this year. I'm a bit excited about Ian Ziering and Katey Sagal and Gates McFadden. (Though of course I would be, I'm a redhead who plays a doctor on a Star Trek ship in my webseries, we have oh so much in common!). Few other interesting people recently announced, too.

I assume you mean of the staff as was mentioned above? There are a few instances in the thread, but you can also find a lot out there. I know at least one person was going to do a documentary on the convention and how it's gone downhill, but the owner shut him down as soon as he got wind of it I heard.

MCCC has had problems in the past - some were pretty well documented - long lines, poor planning, etc. But, the worst of it seems to be the organizers and their treatment of both attendees and participants (artists, vendors).

Last year, I went to the Con on Sunday for the sole purpose of getting a poster signed by one of the people signing - there wasn't a whole lot there that interested me that year and the organizers past behavior just bugged me enough to not want to go (and I do support local artists and vendors there whenever possible - I did buy prints from a local artist the last two years).

My issue starts the guest I whose signature I wanted (Joey Lauren Adams on a Chasing Amy poster)... simply: she wasn't there. The reason I went to this show, drove 30 miles and paid to go wasn't there. @dbaslchi was there and I met him and his girlfriend (now fiance), he saw that Ms. Adams wasn't there and we also exchanged messages with time stamps showing that she wasn't there at the time both MCCC and Adams' manager states she was there.

So I post on the MCCC Facebook page about this, I used their website to contact them about this matter and I even contacted one of the organizers directly (she had sent a Facebook friend request a couple years ago when MCCC was getting some flak about organization and guests - which I had made a few posts about). It was on their Facebook page that Adams manager stated that she was there at the time that both I and dbalschi know that she wasn't there - in fact, con/venue people were cleaning her area and I asked if she was coming back and she wasn't. Of course, MCCC deleted the post and banned me and dbalschi from their page - this seemed to happen after dbalschi posted affirming my story and contradicting the managers statement. It's worth mentioning that MCCC uses social media to post about guests and if they're leaving early and that kind of stuff.

I've spoken to friends more involved with MCCC and was told stories about their personal and their vendetta tactics and the poor way they deal with the "lesser" talent/vendors. It seems like most them hope for a new con ran with a more professional team that actual works with people rather than the "bullies" that run MCCC. I'm told many in the Detroit local scene are heartbroken over the loss of Detroit Fanfare but there is hope that something new may be on horizon.

Last edited:
I saw something going down at the afterparty a few years ago for MCCC. I witnessed it happening but wasn't close enough to hear what exactly was going on, so technically this is sort of third person information (second-and-a-half since I did visually SEE it happen?) but... apparently a few people who were involved with Fanfare were at the afterparty. Someone asked them how it was going for planning it, someone from MCCC staff overheard it and booted the entire group out.

I should add that MCCC did offer a free pass for this years con but refused to lift the ban - so I refused. I did follow up with complaints to various organizations - one of which sent me a copy of one organizers e-mail rebuking my comments (which included some really childish comments - and some statements that I feel were outright lies).

The Monroe convention was pretty good. It's in the fall. But far smaller and without the pop culture people there as much. Still, they were really great people, very professional and actually care about the convention-goer's experience.

I'm working on my Friday costume now. It's slow going because of this bitter cold weather. I decided to use pink foam to make my axe head for Viking Batgirl but can't go outside to work on it!

Friend of mine is putting together a Youtube gathering at the con. Did we want to try to do one for RPF members, too? Maybe just even a group photo to put up on here?

Also, if anyone is on the fence about the afterparty, it also doubles as my birthday party so you should go. ;)

Some cool new guests were added. Emma Caulfield, Gates McFadden, Lou Ferrigno, Ian Ziering, Steven Yeun, Ryan Hurst, Emily Kinney, Lori Petty, Katey Sagal, Laura Vandervoort, Roddy Piper, John Schneider and a bunch more. And of course, my personal favorite person of all time, Dawn Wells. She is an utter and total doll and funny as all get out.

Anyway, full list up to the minute here: https://www.motorcitycomiccon.com/media-guests/

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back