Jurassic World raptor CGI model (SPOILER WARNING)

Rymo

Sr Member
So, I was able to take a quick look at a low-res version of the new JW trailer that was leaked online recently, and I noticed something very familiar about one of the raptors in it. The CGI model they used for the raptor in the JW trailer looks identical to one of the CGI raptor models from the finale scene of Jurassic Park.

Here's a comparison of the two raptors. Top one is from JP and the bottom one is from JW. Pay close attention to the skin folds along the neck and the shadow along the tail. And even the lighting and shadows along the body. They look identical to me, like they used the exact same raptor model. What do you all think?

comparison.jpg

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 183
It is just a stand in until they finish the raptor CGI, they wont use the same exact cgi. I know a few ILMers.

Interesting! I had no idea. Thanks for the info! Honestly, I was actually kind of excited about the idea of seeing the old raptors. But, oh well.

if the model is good, why change it!! Maybe/Probably added some more polygons, some higher quality textures and your done.
The movements of the raptors in the old movie were good enough.

i see it like a wheel. its a perfect cirkel... you could put some nice tires and chrome on it, but that base is still the same.. if it work, it works.

if the model is good, why change it!! Maybe/Probably added some more polygons, some higher quality textures and your done.
The movements of the raptors in the old movie were good enough.

i see it like a wheel. its a perfect cirkel... you could put some nice tires and chrome on it, but that base is still the same.. if it work, it works.

You can't just add a couple of polygons, it doesn't exactly work like that.

I worked at ILM for a few years - And I dont even think they still use the SOFTWARE that they used to create those original JP models anymore... (It may not even exist anymore..)

And - Sure, they might look good, but software and processing power has gotten so much better , they is really no reason to recycle an old model.. It would take so much updating and retexturing, not to mention possible converting from old software, it wouldnt really be worth it - Very cool observation though!

They started out by making maquettes of the dinos right, which they then scanned and made digital models. So isn't it possible they rescanned the same maquette and that is why they look identical? :confused

They might, if they wanted the exact same look as the Velociraptors in the first film

I can guarantee they wouldnt - Its just not a way these are done now -

My guess is for the low res trailer, they used the rendered Raptor element from the first film, and just comped it into place in this, with some color correction done to it...

They wouldnt do that in these "modern VFX times"

Actually they still very much use the same sort of 3d scanning in computer animation and effects! In Avatar they actually handmade all the Navi jewellery before scanning and simulating it, and you can see in the Star Wars bonus features for the prequel trilogy that they definitely used maquettes in the concept phase of character design before laser scanning the final sculpts in. They do alot of cleanup work on those scans, but essentially the tried and tested techniques still yield the best fruit. :)

Actually they still very much use the same sort of 3d scanning in computer animation and effects! In Avatar they actually handmade all the Navi jewellery before scanning and simulating it, and you can see in the Star Wars bonus features for the prequel trilogy that they definitely used maquettes in the concept phase of character design before laser scanning the final sculpts in. They do alot of cleanup work on those scans, but essentially the tried and tested techniques still yield the best fruit. :)

I dont know WHY they would do that - considering you have to basically remodel all assets once they are scanned anyway -

Perhaps as reference, but they arent scanning models and using them directly in films -

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back