The X-Files to return to TV! - I WANT TO BELIEVE

That's a pretty significant improvement, but it looks like they went and did a "Buffy" with the aspect ratio change. I hope they haven't messed it up like they did with that show. (They reframed shots and introduced a lot of continuity errors... crew visible in certain scenes and so on.)

Yeah, I know I have Friends on bluray. Another one of those "if it ain't broken"-moments.

One more reason why it's better to shoot on film instead of digital. Film can easily be rescanned at a higher resolution.

Yeah, I know I have Friends on bluray. Another one of those "if it ain't broken"-moments.

Friends? Oh dear... I'm currently going through that show again (but on DVD) and it has not aged well! I never realized it before but every last one of them are horrible people... homophobic, sexist, egotistical, selfish... I could go on. I'm glad I don't have friends like that, haha. The "social message" the show sends out is generally despicable too. I mean, in Seinfeld, they were are written purposely to be awful, but here...

Sorry for the derail. I'm pretty sure that they re-framed Star Trek TNG as well. Looking at the X-files shots it doesn't look too bad, but you can easily loose some of the original shots intent. The person doing the new framing probably has a ginormous list to go through so he isn't likely to scrutinize each shot very closely.

I guess what would have me most worried is if they try to make the new version "gritty". It would just be so wrong. If they made it "adult" by making it more thematically open, just keeping the craziness, that would be ok. (I mean, Californication was rather "adult" and not the least bit gritty...)

They have already converted the show to HD!

Yeah I saw that, but it's on a German TV network and there's been no word what-so-ever about a BluRay release.

Hopefully soon though. Now I just need them to do that to the first 5 seasons of Stargate SG-1 and I can be happy.

Last edited:
Sorry for the derail. I'm pretty sure that they re-framed Star Trek TNG as well. Looking at the X-files shots it doesn't look too bad, but you can easily loose some of the original shots intent. The person doing the new framing probably has a ginormous list to go through so he isn't likely to scrutinize each shot very closely.

I guess what would have me most worried is if they try to make the new version "gritty". It would just be so wrong. If they made it "adult" by making it more thematically open, just keeping the craziness, that would be ok. (I mean, Californication was rather "adult" and not the least bit gritty...)

Nope! Neither TOS or TNG were reframed and were left in the original format to try and retain the original composition of the shots as they were intended. I think this is rare though. A lot of people complain about the bars on the sides of their TVs, and for some dumb reason think these shows were initially filmed in 16:9 and cropped for tv. People are dumb...

Nope! Neither TOS or TNG were reframed and were left in the original format to try and retain the original composition of the shots as they were intended. I think this is rare though. A lot of people complain about the bars on the sides of their TVs, and for some dumb reason think these shows were initially filmed in 16:9 and cropped for tv. People are dumb...

Yes, we are all idiots, more or less. Some are definitely less informed than others. Those complaining should just go out and buy TVs in the three most common aspect ratios, 4:3, 16:9 and 21:9 :lol that way they can avoid those evil black bars.

Yeah I saw that, but it's on a German TV network and there's been no word what-so-ever about a BluRay release.

Hopefully soon though. Now I just need them to do that to the first 5 seasons of Stargate SG-1 and I can be happy.

I really want all ten seasons of SG-1! :D :D

Last edited:
I would even be happy if they did a mini series similar to Agent Carter every once in a while. Maybe if they see how happy people are for it to come back they will change their mind about a full season.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen. I figured it would be a near full reboot though with a few cameos from Scully and Mulder here or there.

Wasn't the phrasing from the head of FOX something like 'we're looking into and David and Gillian are excited, but we have nothing official, yet'. ?

I got the impression they were getting close buy didn't want to say anything before the i's were dotted and t's crossed.

Man, this brings back memories. X-Files was my very favorite show.

Well, until the black-ooze/super-soldier soap-opera stuff started happening, and then I was like
"Is that Adam Baldwin? What the heck is going on? This is stupid. I'm confused. This isn't fun anymore."

If they do a "monster-of-the-week" sort of thing, like the first 4 seasons, I'm all on board.
But if they do another "if-you-missed-last-week's-episode-sucks-to-be-you" I'm really not interested.

Hopefully the people behind this remember what was fun about the old X-Files.
It should be fun. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong.

I would even be happy if they did a mini series similar to Agent Carter every once in a while. Maybe if they see how happy people are for it to come back they will change their mind about a full season.

I don't see that happening. Here's why:

"Certainly I can't nor would I be interested in doing a full season," Duchovny said. "It will be in some kind of limited form. We're all old, we don't have the energy for a full season."

Nothing would happen in the first place without all the mains being involved.

Think like a producer. Follow the money.

Most likely scenario, they will test the waters with a small TV run featuring the old cast. This is the safe play to stir up interest in the idea right now and legitimize whatever reboot/sequel series they eventually want to try.

If it's working & popular, they will plan a larger new TV series & begin handing the baton off to a next-generation cast for the most part. How much the old actors will continue to feature in a new series is probably undecided at this stage.

Last edited:
If they did reboot it after "passing the baton" I could see Scully having moved up the ranks into a Skinner type role and the occasional Fox cameo as one of the shadowy people who shows up when you tape an x on your window.

Have Mulder and Scully running a business investigating strange and unusual occurrences. They could have an atmospheric, cramped but cozy space similar to their old basement office. Skinner could show up and ask for their help from time to time, there would be no need for any other returning cast members since they're all dead. Scully could finally admit she saw a freakin flying saucer, Mulder could admit the possibility that there may be a god or gods and they can leave behind all the baggage that built up over the years and start fresh. No more rehashing the same damn thing just some scary weird monsters and bad guys.

Oh and they have to bring back the Peacock family for another episode to tie up that storyline.

^ This is the best idea I've heard, but since I dropped X from S4 S5 onward, I'm not into the things that happend afterwards, there has to be much to explaining for those guys like me.

Honestly, I don't think this is something they can recapture. Certainly, they cant' recapture my enthusiasm. I watched this show religiously with my friends in college back when it was on, and it was enjoyable right up until Mulder left. After that, I stopped caring, graduated college, and lost interest in the show. I gather the ending was utterly unsatisfying and basically revealed that they never had any clue where the story was headed. I don't really see a way to rehab that fact at this point.

I mean, great, Twin Peaks got a new series. Doesn't mean every weird 90s show needs a revival now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back