Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

The holster varies from film to film does it not? Maybe I am confused. I know your last update was referring to the holster in The Force Awakens but I am creating one for A New Hope Han Solo costume. If they are one and the same than I will patiently wait for the complete reveal, if the holsters differ from A New Hope and The Force Awakens, I guess I was wondering if there ever was a complete New Hope pattern finished and I just missed it.

-Ash

The holster varies from film to film does it not? Maybe I am confused. I know your last update was referring to the holster in The Force Awakens but I am creating one for A New Hope Han Solo costume. If they are one and the same than I will patiently wait for the complete reveal, if the holsters differ from A New Hope and The Force Awakens, I guess I was wondering if there ever was a complete New Hope pattern finished and I just missed it.

-Ash

Just to recap what I just sent you. The final pattern will include all the patterns from each movie including TFA. They are all quite different, and so that is why it is taking a long time. I have to look at each film and find all the subtitle differences.

For example, the holster from RotJ and ANH have different numbers of stitches. I don't want to just assume they're the same, and cheat you guys out of a 100% accurate holster.

The reason I am releasing them all at once is because A. it is being released as a book B. There is some overlap, so it is easier to reference other parts instead of repeating things.

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Shop Tour

Small update. I have been invited to check out the industrial machine shop at UofVic next week. The shop owner and I are a part of the same search and rescue organization, and after training we got to talking about this project. He thinks he might be able to do a run or two of hardware, so I'm going to head down with my patterns and we're going to see what is possible.

Smugglers Holster

v 1.0

Bendy Corners

So I was down at the machine shop and my friend Chris was looking at the buckles and disk and had a few thoughts.

First, we all know the sides of the buckles are beveled, however he is convinced that the are actually bent. He explained that it is an old trick to make metal appear thicker than it is by giving the illusion of thickness. He feels the edges of the buckles have a slight bend, and then are smoothed out with a file. This is an interesting idea. I am going to look at the reference photos with this new information.

He also is convinced the buckles are steel, not aluminum. I think this was solved before, but it is good to get a second opinion.

Also, when he looked at the disk on the belt his reaction was, "That looks like a bud buster." I had no idea what that was, but he explained that it is a thing for grinding up weed. For obvious reasons this isn't something I would have a clue about, but....it does really make sense being 1977 and all.

I'm going to look into this a bit more and see what I can find.

He also said I could come work in his shop anytime I like. This is a huge deal because I can try things much faster for sizes and such.

Smugglers Holster

Also, when he looked at the disk on the belt his reaction was, "That looks like a bud buster." I had no idea what that was, but he explained that it is a thing for grinding up weed. For obvious reasons this isn't something I would have a clue about, but....it does really make sense being 1977 and all.

I think this is what he was referring to. They are called "Herb" Grinders. My old roommate was big into the "weed culture" and he had one of these things. It wasn't until you mentioned it did I realize I've seen something like the "Mysterious Han Solo Belt disk" before but couldn't remember where. The one I posted a picture of retails for about 30 dollars.

HERB-SPICE.jpg

-Ash

That would be one of the greatest finds ever if its turns out to be a Bud Buster! Its funny your friend called it that.

It is funny because when he first mentioned it, I was like, "Whaaaat, really?" He did a quick Google search and what he showed me did have a striking resemblance to the disk. Looking around the internet a little, I learned more about these things than I ever thought I would. I found this last night.

grinders.jpg

These things apparently come in all shapes and sizes. It is totally feasible that the people creating the holster in 1977 could have made their own (or had access to this in local shops), and would have gotten a kick out of putting this on the holster.

I have to admit, if you were to turn the disk with the holes around (if it is flat) it would bear a very striking resemblance to the disk on the holster. It also seems like one of the most feasible parts that I have come across, if we go with the assumption it was something found, opposed to something custom created.

Strange...:)

Last edited:
Forget "spice", I always knew Solo was dirty. In fact, that's what I thought was his appeal; he was a smuggler/trafficker of assorted narcotics and slave workers. I don't think Jabba is the kind of guy you go working for shipping only peppercorns.

Any news on the patterns CrazyLegsMurphy as cant wait to have a go at making one.

Yup. I've got some updates coming shortly. I've also been waiting for my BobaDebt parts for my DL-44 so I can assure the holster patters will work, but he seems to be having issues himself.

I'll update shortly.

So like the OP, I too am waiting on my ESB DL-44 from Boba Debt's run. However, gonna try to use the info from this thread to still make this in time for Dragon Con in a few weeks (depending how fast wiring up a Graflex 2.0 goes). I'm hoping that the Disney Parks DL-44 is close to the same size as the Denix kit, so hopefully the pattern pieces (which I'll have to eyeball to fit the Todd's Costume Holster Kit) will be able to accommodate both. Probably won't form the holster itself to the toy, but instead wait for the blaster to arrive.

So like the OP, I too am waiting on my ESB DL-44 from Boba Debt's run. However, gonna try to use the info from this thread to still make this in time for Dragon Con in a few weeks (depending how fast wiring up a Graflex 2.0 goes). I'm hoping that the Disney Parks DL-44 is close to the same size as the Denix kit, so hopefully the pattern pieces (which I'll have to eyeball to fit the Todd's Costume Holster Kit) will be able to accommodate both. Probably won't form the holster itself to the toy, but instead wait for the blaster to arrive.

This has been part of my issue as well. I have been waiting on Boba's run so that I can use a "real" DL-44 as a real world test in the hopes that the pattern actually fits 95% of the blasters that people have (myself included). Because I can only release this pattern once (it will be a book...spoiler), I don't want to just "eye it" and hope it fits. I purchased an additional two hides of leather just for testing to make sure the shape and size was correct.

This was going to be one of my big announcements, but when Boba delayed the run for unforeseen reasons, it pushed me back as well.

Now, I get on average two PM's a week from people asking me to send whatever patterns I have, but they are disappointed and frustrated when I say no. Let me be transparent with everyone here for a moment so perhaps you can understand why.

When I started this pattern, the goal was to make a super accurate ESB version for myself. When people seemed to be excited for all the versions I expanded it to included all the others. As time went on, I found myself writing a LOT of information so that I could learn to make this (buying leather, sewing, dying, etc). At one point I had so much information that I realized that I could actually make a book.

The problem of course is once I started down this path the scope creep became immense. What started as notes typed out and pasted in a Google Doc, had to be reworked into something with proper grammar and explanation. Artwork needed to be created for the cover, inside pages, tutorials, etc. This was all on top of the pattern that was being delayed due to Boba Dept (not his fault, just circumstance).

Then, my wife (who had a cancer scare which made this pattern hard to concentrate on) made the point that if I was going to spend this much time/money, I should try to recoup some of the costs. The problem is that I can't (nor want to) sell this. So, I thought perhaps I could create 3D models of the Greeblies, which I could give away as a "Thanks" to anyone who donated any small amount. The patterns would be free of course, but if someone wanted to donate a $1 or $2, then they would get the 3D Greeblie patterns, an additional pattern for the Solo black belt, and a "Convention Pouch" based off some older Star Wars designs, that would attach to the holster and could carry money, wallet, phone, etc.

This required finding a 3D artist, which I did, but unfortunately they disappeared half way through and I never got the files. So, I put out some feelers to start over, but wasn't able to find anyone with the skills and/or that would accept my offer.

Throw in some family issues, some personal issues and a loss of a job, and this project started getting away from me.

So. That all said. Here is where things are honestly at.

The patters are 100% complete except for the holster part (on all versions) due to me not being able to test my Denix with Boba's parts. The patterns are still in one big Illustrator file, which need to be broken down into smaller, printable 8.5x11 sheets. Some patterns span multiple pages, so I needed to sort those out so they could be printed and then joined back together.

Here is a screen shot of about half the layers turned on. I can't turn them all on because even with the beast of a machine I have, it crashes the program. :/

Smugglers_Holster_PatternPage.png

The book is about 80% complete. Most of the text is complete and ready to go. I just needed to research a few other things and send it to an editor (my friend knows a professional that will help, since I created a logo for her). The artwork needs to be completed, and it all needs to be put together into a proper book.

Here is a sample page from the book. As you can see there are some placer images I still need to complete, and it needs some editing and layout, but it is close.

QsPXhEEJ17BUKsRTcYpMCkCgQRVPJ0Iu3f7nf-Xlio_jm1mUhfTWPte9oTL4_ctrH2CWBricdg=w1920-h1200-no

The 3D models are on hold and I may drop the idea unless I can find someone who is a 3D model ninja. As you can see from the image below, these are highly detailed plans that require a LOT of effort on the part of an artist to recreate them accurately.

Smugglers-Holster-Greeblie-Carb-Final.png

So, as frustrating as it is...everything is kinda in those final stages where I just need a push and some help to get it completed. I am not deaf to the pleas from all of you (and the many PM's) I get. I really, really, really want to get this completed and released to all of you.

I appreciate your patience and I hope this helps to clarify a few things. I have not abandoned this at all. My hopes are that Boba will start shipping his parts in the next few weeks, which will allow me to confidently sign off the holster part. Once that is done, the patterns will be ready to be placed in the book, and sent off for editing. After it is edited, I can release it (for free) to anyone who wants it.

Hopefully...I can get some 3D patterns created for the greeblies and that it is enough of an incentive for you guys to send a buck or two my way, but that is a low priority for me at this point. I just want to get this in your hands so you can get those holsters made.

CLM

Last edited:
Really appreciate all the thought, time, research, and especially the effort you've put into this with all that you've had to deal with. It's been a tremendous help and resource. I know we're all eagerly waiting for the final updates (and to get our blasters, too).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back