Amazon's The Expanse

Re: SyFy's The Expanse

The show is a decent adaptation, but the novels are truly terrific. One thing I miss on the show from the books, is the physical differences of the belters. It would be hard to do that economically on the TV show, but I do miss it. Also, in the book, a great deal of the action takes place "on the float" (zero G), which again, would be expensive. Still, I think the show captures the spirit of the books pretty well.

I've only read Leviathan Wakes, I actually think the show is better. In the book Miller comes across like Harrison Ford's description of Deckard - a detective who does no detecting. The Julie Mau investigation in S1 was way more developed in the show, and imho, made the 'love story' more believable.

I think the relationships between the Roci crew is also more interesting in the show, with the whole Donnager plot was just breezed past in the novel, without the crew interrogations or the Martian perspective of the battle. Obviously the structure of the novel's alternating perspectives limits what we get to experience, but the show just seems to expand on everything in the novel, which is usually the other way around

I did think the show missed the boat on the Earth/Mars war and the political stuff in general is better developed and explained in the novel.

I've only read Leviathan Wakes, I actually think the show is better. In the book Miller comes across like Harrison Ford's description of Deckard - a detective who does no detecting. The Julie Mau investigation in S1 was way more developed in the show, and imho, made the 'love story' more believable.

I think the relationships between the Roci crew is also more interesting in the show, with the whole Donnager plot was just breezed past in the novel, without the crew interrogations or the Martian perspective of the battle. Obviously the structure of the novel's alternating perspectives limits what we get to experience, but the show just seems to expand on everything in the novel, which is usually the other way around

I did think the show missed the boat on the Earth/Mars war and the political stuff in general is better developed and explained in the novel.

I love both of the narratives, but to be honest, I had no idea what anyone on the Roci's name was except for Holden until I read the book. They just didn't stick with me for some reason. However, I do agree that the added threads of Mars/Earth are fantastic. Also, I love every moment this lady is on screen...

MV5BMTYxNTM3Mjg2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzI3ODIzNzE@._V1_.jpg

Do you guys know why Fred Johnson was so against Holden and the Roci crew leaving Tyco station - not sure why he'd be against them investigating more proto-molecule.

Do you guys know why Fred Johnson was so against Holden and the Roci crew leaving Tyco station - not sure why he'd be against them investigating more proto-molecule.

I think it was connected to Fred's deteriorating grip on Tycho. Holden and the Roci were both valuable assets, both in terms of propaganda (Holden as another Earther and a hero of the Eros incident strengthened his position against the militant OPA) and military power via the Roci.

By the way, the show has been renewed for a third season :) http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/e...ic#flw_c=email&flw_n=58cb09f1126b923f0de45019

Hardly anything on Syfy goes more than 5 seasons, otherwise they have to pay the actors more, at least for Syfy "original" programming.
No scripted show on SyFy has ever lasted more than 5 seasons, none. Not a one. They get promises for one more season but they never get it, this has happened with Farscape, SG-1, and Eureka, all were told that they were doing great and they would get one more season SyFy suddenly tells them that they're not and by the time they hear that it's either too late to change the season finale into a series finale or they have to rush to write a series finale.

I think syfy is run by history channel as the interesting stuff never lasts long but the reality trash does. I'm thinking of adding the Expanse books to the christmas book list for my dad and I to try them out. I don't have my kindle anymore or i'd get it on there...and I really don't want to have to try and teach my dad to use another piece of tech just to read a book lol. I have to say for syfy channel this show actually has surprisingly good cgi.

I'm honestly shocked that a show of this quality is on Syfy. I hope that if it does get the axe early, a quality streaming platform like Netflix or Amazon Prime picks it up. Best sci-fi I've seen in years on the mall screen.

Hi! Love the Expanse, especially the Martians. I am trying to put together a quick MCRN uniform like Sutton or Thorsen wear on the Scirocco for an upcoming Con. I don't have the greatest sense of color, however, and I am tying to determine if the lettering on the back of the uniform ("Scirocco EML -09") is the same Martian red color that the collar and epaulets (shoulders) are. Most of the stills I have seen are too dark for me to tell. Tried re-watching some of the episodes, but still not quite sure...appreciate the help!!!

Clonus, go to YouTube and Look up Adam Savage meeting with the Prop and Costume Department for The Expanse, you'll get some good tips there as what to get etc.

Clonus, go to YouTube and Look up Adam Savage meeting with the Prop and Costume Department for The Expanse, you'll get some good tips there as what to get etc.

I have seen Adam's videos, or at least the ones where he is looking at the armor and some other things, but I don't see him looking at a MCRN uniform (unless I missed a video of his somewhere). I did get some nice views in tonight's episode. The color looks different to me, a bit more of a pinkish color to the lettering, and not the same as the collar/shoulders. I want to get a few more looks, however....

17820128_10211073975584284_292804779_o.jpg

Lettering looks like a rose/dark pink color, same color lettering as on the t-shirt that Draper is seen wearing under her armor a few episodes back.

I love both of the narratives, but to be honest, I had no idea what anyone on the Roci's name was except for Holden until I read the book. They just didn't stick with me for some reason. However, I do agree that the added threads of Mars/Earth are fantastic. Also, I love every moment this lady is on screen...

View attachment 715098

Avisarala is great in both the books and the series. And she only gets better as the books progress.

I have a feeling that right before he pulls the trigger, a certain Martian Marine in power armor is going to F--- up his day, and his face.

Were you NOT paying attention? The whole reason for her making her way to the Skiff is because he packed her power armor just in case. So Yes...yes it is doom, for Mr. Mao and his crew when she suits up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back