Amazon's The Expanse

Re: SyFy's The Expanse

Good cast. Somewhat intriguing trailer. Not sure I'm gonna invest the time if it's a full-time series, though.

If this is a full series you can expect it to run for no more than 5 seasons and have the ending rushed because they were promised another season to wrap things up but not given that one more season and not told about it until late in the pre-production of the current (last) season.

Apparently it is based on The Expanse series of novels by S.A. Corey. The first book is Leviathan Wakes. They are not that old.
I wasn't expecting those ones to be adapted ...

Last edited:

Brilliant hard sci fi series of novels that reminded me of Larry Nivens "Known Space" belter stories, but even better. One of the best set of stories they could have adapted for television. Anyone wanting to watch the trailer in the UK its on Youtube as normal.

I was on set at one point...and all I can say is that the production value on this show is really big, huge!!!
My expectations are very VERY high.

David

If this is a full series you can expect it to run for no more than 5 seasons and have the ending rushed because they were promised another season to wrap things up but not given that one more season and not told about it until late in the pre-production of the current (last) season.
It looks expensive so that is likely. A mini-series might be a better idea.

The authors have been involved since day one, and have reported good things from SyFy and the production team assembled for the show. They're quite aware of the concerns associated with the SyFy network, and have been given an unusual amount of leverage over the direction of the show. I am feeling positive about this, and encourage any science fiction fans to run out and read Leviathan Wakes.

So far, no CGI sharks have been harmed in the production of The Expanse

I wonder if this is going to be a regular series or some sort of limited series, I hope it's a limited series unless there are 5 or fewer books in the series then they can devote one season per book and still finish without worry about SyFy's (de facto) 5 season rule.

I was on set at one point...and all I can say is that the production value on this show is really big, huge!!!
My expectations are very VERY high.

David

Yeah they had high production value on Farscape, Stargate Atlantis, Universe and many other great shows and they all got cancelled due to being too expensive to make way for more wrastlin'

Yeah they had high production value on Farscape, Stargate Atlantis, Universe and many other great shows and they all got cancelled due to being too expensive to make way for more wrastlin'

Partially true, while that may have been the reason for ultimately canceling Farscape & Atlantis, SG:U was canceled due to low ratings. There must also be some sort of clause in the contracts for SyFy show or a union thing which states that after 5 years the cast and crew get a big raise because 5 years is always the magical mark which SyFy's scripted shows never cross; I know that some people will cite SG-1 which ran for 10 seasons but of those seasons only 5 were on SyFy.

Farscape was a very expensive show, but the Henson company was absorbing much of the costs, they considered the show a showcase for their work, to bring in more work. The Stargate SG1 producers said that they were the reason for Farscape's cancelation, due to how much the sci-fi channel had to pay to show Stargate SG1. Back then the sci-fi channel was canceling any show that they didn't own the majority share of. Which is kind of funny, because they never owned SG1.

David.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back