One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Here's a question probably already answered, though I haven't found it in a search: has anyone published an analysis of the lighting pattern of the Bussard collectors? I'd like to model my bussards as close to the originals as possible.

I was told this was from Miarecki when he did the first restoration.
IMG_2674.png

:)Spockboy

View attachment 687924

Cool! I wondered if I didn't see a few extra lights in a ring inside the main
ring of lights. Can't see it in the re-mastered editions, of course.

Thanks for this!

The few shots of the bussards open show a completely different mechanism from
what they originally had, guess that is to try and keep the temperatures down.

Cool! I wondered if I didn't see a few extra lights in a ring inside the main
ring of lights. Can't see it in the re-mastered editions, of course.

Thanks for this!

The few shots of the bussards open show a completely different mechanism from
what they originally had, guess that is to try and keep the temperatures down.
Yes. Margaret Weitekamp's biggest concern was heat from bulbs and motors as a potential fire hazard. So it's LED lighting only, and the lights and motors are on for only 10 minutes at a time at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm.

I stabilized this famous shot and looped it in HD to get a good look at the pattern.
Hope it helps.

[video=vimeo;164444066]https://vimeo.com/164444066[/video]

The note on the bottom right doesn't make sense to me.

"Basically" all the time? Meaning NOT all the time? Then it's a really slow blink? What?

"they flash yellow" the orange lights that are basically on all the time flash yellow?

Maybe he was mixing up his words and he was saying the yellows and the blues flash together?

View attachment 687924

The note on the bottom right doesn't make sense to me.

"Basically" all the time? Meaning NOT all the time? Then it's a really slow blink? What?

"they flash yellow" the orange lights that are basically on all the time flash yellow?

Maybe he was mixing up his words and he was saying the yellows and the blues flash together?
Well... You have to remember, Ed Miarecki didn't have access to the source material we have now. The availability of HD video of the old FX has made it a lot easier to get precise timing, so I'd go from that over notes from 1991 that may or may not be 100% accurate. For that matter, the conservators at NASM have already been through this exercise, so why reinvent the wheel?

What does my post have to to with source material or lack thereof? I'm just trying to figure out a very confusingly-worded set of notes.

All I'm saying is that Ed Miarecki himself may not have been absolutely sure of what he was looking at, hence the confusing wording of his notes. If that's the case, there's nothing to figure out -- that would be the closest he could come at the time to being sure. :)

I would not pay too much attention to the light colors as they were frequently changed even after the series ended but the arrangement is interesting!

Yes, I could see there not beeing too much concern when a light burned out, just replace it with one out of the box and get it working in time to film again.
Hard to pin a pattern (sequence) of flashing down. Sometimes I feel it is random, at other times there seems to be a definite sequence, the eyes
can play subtle tricks. :eek

Keeping in mind that Miarecki didn't see it until 20 years after the Smithsonian received it and worked on the nacelle ends themselves (with those brilliant flashing red lights that installed in the 70's); there is really no telling what was left of the original configuration.

Bad news guys -- my E photos are about to go temporarily dark, but I'm not sure when, as will those of anyone else posting from the Dropbox Public folder. Dropbox is changing the Public folder and making it private, and I'm not sure what the replacement for file sharing is yet. And once I find out, I have to go back and redo all those damn links. Thanks a lot, Dropbox. :angry:facepalm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back