Luke costume (ANH) build thread (WIP)

I am about to order some swatches before I buy fabric for the jacket. I understand that the fabric originally used is no longer obtainable.

I will check out some different cotton fabrics. If anyone have good suggestions, please let me know.

I've done this costume. 1st one i ever did. learnt a lot. made the large pouch myself (have significantly improved on that front since then) found a replica for the ammo pouch and nicely found an original twin pouch on ebay.

made the belt from scratch, weathered the buckle etc..

also got a resin droid caller and altered it for luke and painted it up. was very happy with that but i unfortunately lost it at a con last year :(

it's gone though a couple of boot changes as i wasn't happy with the ones i did make.

was very happy with my saber though. JQ base and did the electrics myself, kinda funnily my stormtrooper friend used it as a light to get changed as the bulb had gone in the cloakroom. heh :D (did a few action shots with the blade in for the giggle)

9180983155_3ab51b72b1_b.jpg

not in the pic but i also had the hat/goggles and made the poncho from the deleted scenes.. needs remaking as the colours aren't quite right but i was very proud of my efforts.

good luck with it, its a trickier build than people think :)

Might I suggest dipping your upper parts in a tub with tea or diluted coffee? It looks so brand new when worn for the first time ... and STAR WARS is all about the 'Used Future' ... so weathering and dragging your newly made costumes through the dirt or ... a sandstorm :)

Chaim

I am about to order some swatches before I buy fabric for the jacket. I understand that the fabric originally used is no longer obtainable.

I will check out some different cotton fabrics. If anyone have good suggestions, please let me know.

Yes it's true that Viyella (which has been confirmed by John Mollo in Dressing a Galaxy to be the screen used fabric for the tunic) is hard to come by in solid colors and is very very expensive. It is a wool cotton blend material.

I hope this helps!

Psab

Last edited:
Thanks Psab keel! I've ordered some fabric samples now. I ordered a few so I can have a look and feel on them. I included a swatch of your suggested cotton sanded twill.

I did the coloring and weathering of the main part of the belt last night. I have never worked with leather before but I am pretty happy with the result. I used small paint brush to apply some leather stainer. I tried to replicate much of the spots and markings on the orignal. Then I heated the belt in the oven (Thanks to Luke the Belter!) and gave it a few coats of oil.

I am most happy with the area around, and to the left of the right lightsaber hook. That came out almost identical. :)

(My belt on top. The bottom is my 1:1 print of the original.)

DSC_0199.JPG

Indeed ... wear it daily and it will weather even more naturally ... especially when touched with greasy hands :wacko

Chaim

Thanks guys!

I tested out dying the pockets I cut of the pants with some tea to see if that would give the pants a nice color. Here are the results. The top swatch was dyed with Earl grey black tea. The color is too yellow. I then tried some green tea on the left swatch. That was just the color I was hoping for! (The right swatch is undyed clean white.)

colortest.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
I painted the belt buckle and gave it a good beating using a file, sandpaper, a drill bit and a box of metal junk. I do not want as heavily weathered as my previous belt pictures. The buckle was in bether shape in the movie. I loosely based my weathering on this image:

lukebelt3.jpg

And this is how it looks on my now almost finished belt:

DSC_0214.JPG

The buckle ended up upside down in relation to what I was thinking in the first place. But I'll leave that for now.

Does anyone know what Hamill did wear under the jacket as evident in the following picture. Or maybe they taped him down the way they did Carrie Fisher. :)

ot_luke_skywalker.jpg

I received the fabric for the jacket yesterday. So it's soon time to do some sewing. Does anyone know of a good pattern for the jacket? Not having to create the pattern myself would make my job alot easier.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back