Nike confirms BTTF MAGS Power Laces coming this Year (2015)

I am amazed with all the new and improved versions of technology we have today and yet we still tie shoes with a piece of string. Something needs to happen here.

I've seen cheap shoes with elastic for 'laces' similar to the MAG - they're in Big W. But never anything good, that you could actually use for performance sport. They're just marketed as 'slip-on' shoes that probably wouldn't hold on very tight and have a really crappy sole with no cushioning. Velcro shoes should make a comeback in quality shoes, not just the dunlops that've been the same for the last however many years, lol

I've seen cheap shoes with elastic for 'laces' similar to the MAG - they're in Big W. But never anything good, that you could actually use for performance sport. They're just marketed as 'slip-on' shoes that probably wouldn't hold on very tight and have a really crappy sole with no cushioning. Velcro shoes should make a comeback in quality shoes, not just the dunlops that've been the same for the last however many years, lol

I tried some of those Skecher Diameter slip-ons for my Star-Lord costume. They kept slipping off the back of the foot. I even sized down to get it tight, and they still did it.

The HC mags actually manage to stay on with just the elastic. The HC strap does nothing but float there, supported by the wing-velcro.

Exactly. Which brings us to another point in favor of the HC Mags: even if you buy a pair of Nike Mags, you're never gonna wear them (unless you are in the show business) because they are too expensive. But in the end, if you believe that they can only be looked at, you might as well just print a photograph of them and look at that, and save $5000.

Photots, even those lenticular 3D prints are not the same as a physical pair of shoes sitting on your HoverBoard display.

Maybe not at $5000, but at $500, I would buy two pair - one in US10 for wearing and another in US7 for display. Granted I'd still kick around in my V2s and only wear the RD for special events.

That's cool, but I think Nike wouldn't use the term "McFlywire". Considering the name of the shoe, it's more likely that they would use "MagFlywire", which still sounds similar to McFly, but doesn't infringe any trademark.

They didn't. I added that. The M is actually the W switched around.

Well, movie Mags don't even have velcro so doesn't Griff look silly.

Actually they do, though the concept is that they don't. The straps are supposed to wind up inside the shoes somewhere. Like a certain blue phone box, these shoes must have more space on the inside.

The HC mags actually manage to stay on with just the elastic. The HC strap does nothing but float there, supported by the wing-velcro.

The elastic on these replica MAGs are fairly decent. NIKE actually make kids shoes with elastic instead of laces. Shame they don't make adult ones the same.

The elastic on these replica MAGs are fairly decent. NIKE actually make kids shoes with elastic instead of laces. Shame they don't make adult ones the same.

The one thing I wonder is how long the elastic will last on them. Well, the HC mags in my case.

The one thing I wonder is how long the elastic will last on them. Well, the HC mags in my case.

I bought my first pair July 2013 and the elastic (top lace) is now showing signs of stretch wear, but still in fairly good shape.

The older V1s had crap elastic that only lasted about 3 months before losing its stretch. Same as the velcro which was total rubbish on the those older shoes and seems to be pretty decent stuff V2s.

Well, movie Mags don't even have velcro so doesn't Griff look silly.
The actual prop did. See this picture to see a detail of the velcroed strap on the right shoe, and this clip at 0:02 to see the Velcro strap laying against the huge tongue.
In-universe, they didn't, so "unbelted" made more sense than "unvelked", because all straps were supposed to be "belts" (in the mechanical sense) coupled to servos.
They didn't. I added that. The M is actually the W switched around.
I already knew that. My point was that the name McFlywire detracted from the verisimilitude of the image.

*OFFICIAL NIKE statement*

Hi guys,
Thought I should share this with y'all.
image.jpg

They won't be doing a general release (though I hope they do. These shoes are not sports shoes regardless if websites list them as "basketball" or not.

As for the "unbelted" Vs "unvelted" thing, what do the subtitles say? Not that subtitles are 100% accurate anyway.

The revised draft of the Paradox script dated 19 December 1988 says:

Hey, McFly, your shoe’s unvelked.
But transcriptions and subtitles online say:

Your shoe's unbelted.

Perhaps it was changed based on the final design of the Nike MAG laces. I guess only Thomas Wilson would know for sure…

I've never bothered to check the subtitles for this. Given BD is now 1080/24P world wide, the discs should be the same between regions, but they are often not, so...It might be screen cap time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back