Galileo Study Model - half studio scale replica

So, you're suggesting three long strips making up the bulk of the roof, with two squares in back? Have I got it right?

I'm back to the putty-sand-prime routine... mostly getting the aft elements together. I had improvised some aspects while cutting parts, which got some of the angles off when they came together... but not off by enough that I wanted to attempt to pull everything apart.

Anyways, here are some more progress shots...

galileo_011.jpg

I also decided to test some of the rear detail parts to see how they looked in their approximate final positions...

galileo_012.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always impressed with how much your modeling looks like CGI. So clean! If not for the little bit of tape and whatever that clear gel looking stuff on the impulse area is...

--Alex

Thanks guys!

Looking at the best shots I have of the studio model, it looks like the production team used existing signage decals from the decals sheets of the two Enterprise models. So this is most likely what I'll have in those spots on my study model...

Once I have a chance to print out the decal sketches and do a test arrangement of them on the model (to make sure I didn't miss anything in my measurements), I'll start in on redrawing them for the final sheet.

Thanks!

There are only a few times were you can see them, and even then you can only really make out their general shapes (which is most likely why they didn't worry about matching the large scale mockup).

I wanted to see how the model looked with the nacelles in place, but not sitting. I taped the supports to the underside of the wings and they are just slot fitted to the nacelles (the actual gluing won't happen until after the painting is done), and then positioned the model on a bar. Here is how she looks so far...

galileo_014.jpg

There is still a long ways to go, but it feels like I'm heading in the right direction with most of it.

Certainly looks that way.

Yeah, in my experience, if it doesn't read, it doesn't get attended to at all. You go up to the DP or the operator, point something out, and ask if that's going to read. If he/she says no, end of discussion. You move onto the next problem. And there's always a next problem. :)

Thanks!

Quick update...

So rather than print the test sheet of decals (because I'm out of ink), I figured I'd try photoshopping them onto one of the recent shots of my model I took to see how it looked...

galileo_015.jpg

It seems like a good starting point, but I'll still wait for the printed test to make sure before I invest a ton of time in redrawing all that stuff for the final sheet.

No love for the nacelle pennant stripe?

Also, am I the only one who always thought it was silly to have the registry painted huge on the side of the only to have it repeated in small letters on the nacelle... only viewable from the same angles as the huge side number? ...hmm

--Alex

Yeah, it was a bit redundant.

The nacelles weren't far enough along to want to waste too much time on them (though I took the time to add in the reflection on the wing, so I guess I could have).

But while I was playing around, I was wondering what the old AMT box might have looked like with my models...

galileo7_box_art_test.jpg

Of course it'd look better with a finished shuttlecraft (and actual decals and paint), but I was just curious to see how it might have looked.

Thanks!

Small update...

I've done a little more work on the nacelles...

galileo_016.jpg

And here are a few shots of the model before it's last restoration which helps show how close (or far off) I am on some of my details...

galileo_prerestoration.jpg

... of course the point of the model is to learn from the build.

I know I make mistakes, so I generally make sure that I have a backup to take the pressure off. For my Phase II Enterprise I had JT Graphics print up three copies of the decal sheet I designed... I only have one that is still untouched.

So yeah, when I realized that I could get almost all the decals on a single sheet twice, I figured it was worth the effort (though one of the extra nacelle registry numbers needs to be used for the rear of the model).

Better safe than sorry. :p

I do the exact same thing, mainly because I print decals on my low-grade home inkjet printer. If one version of the decal prints sloppy, the other one of the same graphic is usually good.

--Alex

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back