Hasbro AT ST conversion to ROTJ studio replica

Not made a lot of notable progress on my new head. It took a lot of pain and stress to do the bottom of the head, I've added the gun mounts on and made some armour templates for the head that aren't on yet.

I'm really happy with it looking almost identical to the picture though. :)

bPdDGd3.jpg

This looks great! I think rebuilding the head like you're doing is a bit beyond my capabilities at present — but I do have one I snagged at a yard sale years ago. Maybe one day …

I don't mean to hijack the thread (and I doubt this will do so anyway), but I was thinking of picking up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebel-Vehicle-At/dp/B00JMJS5J8 It is obviously inspired heavily by the ESB version of the AT-ST, which I always liked. I'm sure making it into the replica of the latter would be a monumental job, but it might be fun to detail it up and get it as close as I can without killing myself.

I wish I knew where my Star Wars Action Figure Archive book is — I remember it had a couple of decent photos of the original AT-ST from Empire. I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to build that version of the Scout Walker before — is that because there was no good starting point, or do people just not like it as much? It really shows why it got the "chicken walker" nickname, and I think the RotJ version doesn't evoke that as much.

EDIT: I dug up some photos of the original AT-ST studio model, and I see that the shape is less similar than I thought. It was, however, based on an early Joe Johnston design for the ESB chicken walker — very closely based on it, as seen here: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/taosw/walkheavy.jpg I knew the moment I saw the one in Rebels that I had seen it previously.

I like this new one — maybe I'll get one and eventually try making a "live-action" version out of it.

Qapla'

SSB

Last edited:
This looks great! I think rebuilding the head like you're doing is a bit beyond my capabilities at present — but I do have one I snagged at a yard sale years ago. Maybe one day …

I don't mean to hijack the thread (and I doubt this will do so anyway), but I was thinking of picking up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebel-Vehicle-At/dp/B00JMJS5J8 It is obviously inspired heavily by the ESB version of the AT-ST, which I always liked. I'm sure making it into the replica of the latter would be a monumental job, but it might be fun to detail it up and get it as close as I can without killing myself.

I wish I knew where my Star Wars Action Figure Archive book is — I remember it had a couple of decent photos of the original AT-ST from Empire. I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to build that version of the Scout Walker before — is that because there was no good starting point, or do people just not like it as much? It really shows why it got the "chicken walker" nickname, and I think the RotJ version doesn't evoke that as much.

EDIT: I dug up some photos of the original AT-ST studio model, and I see that the shape is less similar than I thought. It was based on an early Joe Johnston design for the ESB chicken walker — very closely based on it, as seen here: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...s/images/6/68/Joe_johnston_walker_concept.png I like this new one — maybe I'll get one and eventually try making a "live-action" version out of it.

Qapla'

SSB

Hello,

Several replicas of the TESB AT-ST have been built in the past, you can do a research in the studio scale forum to find several threads that may help you. :)

Not sure what you're talking about but the part on the bottom of the head in which the neck boot is inserted is from the 1/32 Tamiya F-14 Tomcat.

Hey, thanks, that was the part I meant. What part of the tom cat is it? My thinking is the exhaust? Hoping I can find just that part rather than the entire kit for that one!

Hey, thanks, that was the part I meant. What part of the tom cat is it? My thinking is the exhaust? Hoping I can find just that part rather than the entire kit for that one!

This is the exhaust indeed.
Buying a whole kit for just one part is all what studio scale modeling is about ! :D Welcome in this wonderful world. :D

is it this bit I've marked in red? If it is, I can get this without buying the entire kit! :)

View attachment 436759

Yes you can go with an aftermarket part if you are not too picky regarding the accuracy, it's mostly hidden so not a big deal !

This is not the right part, in your pic this is the closed exhaust, Tamiya also provides an opened version if I'm correct but it's been so long that I could be wrong.

Yes you can go with an aftermarket part if you are not too picky regarding the accuracy, it's mostly hidden so not a big deal !

This is not the right part, in your pic this is the closed exhaust, Tamiya also provides an opened version if I'm correct but it's been so long that I could be wrong.

This then? :) $_12.JPG

I added my first kit part last night, between the eyes. That, was a good feeling!

0wDPf7t.jpg

Ignore the putty on the dishes, I've sanded that down since. Also I noticed taking this picture I have a bit of a bend in my right side armour panel which I will need to fix!

Update: I've managed to get a hold of the correct dishes for the side gun mounts, so it's going to be a painful evening taking the ones I put on off and sanding it all down. :(

Last edited:
I admire your determination! RE: the Tamiya kit parts, it may be possible to order individual kit sprues from Tamiya directly, if you can get the correct contact information. The folks at HobbyLink Japan may be able to help (they're good like that...)
R/ Robert

I admire your determination! RE: the Tamiya kit parts, it may be possible to order individual kit sprues from Tamiya directly, if you can get the correct contact information. The folks at HobbyLink Japan may be able to help (they're good like that...)
R/ Robert

Hey, thanks Robert, I will try HobbyLink in future if I get stuck, for now, for the bottom of the head exhaust part, I have gone with something similar, since it will be mostly out of view!

I've successfully taken off the side dishes and sanded it all down, just have to wait for the correct ones to be delivered now!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back