Edraven99's Collection Tread - Long Overdue Updates

Edraven99

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang,

Happy New Year to you all!!

With the new year and since I've gathered most of the parts I'll need, I figured I'd get cracking and start actually trying to build these things!

I also wanted to create this thread so that I can consolidate everything into one spot and get some much needed advice from everyone as I go along; and hopefully that people can use as a source for discussion and as an easy reference for their own build journeys be they be real parts or replicas :)

Without much further adieu, a peek at what's to come this year!

Luke Skywalker ESB - Graflex with vintage HP connector card and real Kobold clip:
Luke1_zps30adde6f.jpg
Darth Vader ESB - Genuine vintage MPP Microflash with Exactra bubble strip:
Vader1_zps140d3346.jpg
Obi Wan Kenobi ANH - the pièce de résistance which speaks for itself!:
Obi1_zps8353bd28.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread

To kick things off, here's what's been done to the MPP already:

mpp9_zps0974fc7b.jpgmpp10_zps8595ccfb.jpgmpp14_zps35363e2b.jpg
mpp13_zps922e0ee1.jpgmpp12_zps61d4c19a.jpgmpp11_zps6f32eefa.jpg

The wires are all 16 gauge that were sourced out through scrap wires from friends and on Ebay.

Just a quick note that not all 16 gauge wires are created equal... as I discovered, while the wire itself might be 16 gauge, the thickness of the plastic insulator will vary in thickness. You can't tell, but the white wire is ever so slightly thinner than the blue wire. You might not think this makes that much of a difference, but that extra millimeter makes it a lot tougher to fit the wires into the slot holes. I had to shave the insulation a bit in order to fit them in all the way...

As you can see from my initial post, I got my t-tracks from Gino so I'll be working on that next.... still need my plastic sleeve replaced though...

mpp9_zps0974fc7b.jpg

mpp10_zps8595ccfb.jpg

mpp14_zps35363e2b.jpg

mpp13_zps922e0ee1.jpg

mpp12_zps61d4c19a.jpg

mpp11_zps6f32eefa.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks guys! I can't take all of the credit for getting these parts... especially the Obi parts. A lot of help and a little bit of dumb luck went into all of these!

A quick update since I have a bit of time to post... So as some of you may know from my MPP thread that the MPP I managed to pick up isn't 100% accurate - it has a two-step shroud, and as Chaim (Sym-Cha) pointed out, it's missing the plastic sleeve that goes under the metal clamp.

So... I ordered a replica shroud and clamp from Parks so that I could cannibalize the plastic sleeve and have an option if I wanted to replace my shroud.

I finally managed to pick up the parts yesterday from my mail box in the States and guess what... it looks like my MPP is NOT missing a part after all.

I can't put the sleeve under the clamp and still have the clamp screw together on the flashgun.

Can you say "Variant"?

Here's a couple of quick pictures to show you what I mean - the clamp on the left is the Parks clamp and the one on the right is my MPP clamp:

Clamp 1.jpgClamp 2.jpg

Notice that the Parks clamp is slightly bigger than my MPP clamp.

Something to be aware of for all of you MPP hunters out there... it's not just the shroud and sidebars that have variants!!

So now I have a decide whether I want to go with my real clamp and forgo the plastic sleeve in my build... or go full replica with the clamp...

*sigh*

Clamp 1.jpg

Clamp 2.jpg

I just saw a vintage graflex on ebay and because of this thread I'm so tempted to buy it :p

Weird my real MPP is pretty much dead on to the Parks replica... Mine does have the correct shroud though

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic with the Obi parts laid out...would be worth to put these in a shadow box with a fully built/ weathered Russ or RE saber underneath

Markus

Well it's always possible the MPP assembly crew forgot to add a plastic sleeve however as Parfaitelumiere showed me the sleeve was always glued inside the clamp as can be seen here :

So if your clamp lack this glue residue I'd say it came without a clamp sleeve. As for the Parks parts it is possible he used a slightly larger or fatter MPP and you may have to modify your clamp sleeve replica in order to make it fit underneath your MPP clamp. Does the shroud by Parks fit okay?

Chaim

Isn't your MPP endcap a little funny looking too? That was the first thing I noticed. It's a really cool version!

..maybe not. Does it flare out at the bottom? It looks like it does and I've never seen an MPP like that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic with the Obi parts laid out...would be worth to put these in a shadow box with a fully built/ weathered Russ or RE saber underneath

Markus

Yep! That's the plan... sort of... only instead it'll be a real parts saber with the extra parts laid out around it :)

Well it's always possible the MPP assembly crew forgot to add a plastic sleeve however as Parfaitelumiere showed me the sleeve was always glued inside the clamp as can be seen here :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/MPP-Patrice08_zps4364efb5.jpg

So if your clamp lack this glue residue I'd say it came without a clamp sleeve. As for the Parks parts it is possible he used a slightly larger or fatter MPP and you may have to modify your clamp sleeve replica in order to make it fit underneath your MPP clamp. Does the shroud by Parks fit okay?

Chaim

Hey Chaim,

Nope... no glue residue and the plastic sleeve is actually quite thin so that isn't the issue... there just isn't enough clamp! :(

The shroud fits ok... a tiny little bit loose compared to the real shroud, but nothing really worth mentioning.

Isn't your MPP endcap a little funny looking too? That was the first thing I noticed. It's a really cool version!

..maybe not. Does it flare out at the bottom? It looks like it does and I've never seen an MPP like that.

Nope... at least I don't think it does...

Here's a picture of it:

mpp5_zps2c148a17.jpg

mpp5_zps2c148a17.jpg

Correct me if I'm mistaken ... with 'there's not enough clamp' you mean the replica sleeve is to large? If so why don't you cut it in half and then measure how much should be removed by doing a test-fit with both halfs inside and overlap in order to make a perfect fit? Then use a piece of ducktape or such and add them into your MPP clamp. Another strip of ducktape can be used inside the shroud to fill it up for a better fit :)

Chaim

Correct me if I'm mistaken ... with 'there's not enough clamp' you mean the replica sleeve is to large? If so why don't you cut it in half and then measure how much should be removed by doing a test-fit with both halfs inside and overlap in order to make a perfect fit? Then use a piece of ducktape or such and add them into your MPP clamp. Another strip of ducktape can be used inside the shroud to fill it up for a better fit :)

Chaim

Nooooo... I think you're misunderstanding what's happening Chaim... the diameter of my real MPP clamp appears to be smaller than what is normally found on a MPP flashgun. So, when try I take the plastic Parks sleeve and put it under the clamp, the added thickness makes it so I can't close the clamp - the screw won't reach the other side - when its on the flash tube.

My plastic sleeve only has a tiny bit of the old dried up glue... not caked on like the above pic. In fact at first I thought it had none, but dead center was a tiny strip.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back