Edraven99's Collection Tread - Long Overdue Updates

Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread

Okay I see what you mean ... so what y'a gonna do? Use the Parks replica clamp in stead? Thanks scottjua ... I never checked mine since it fits so snug on my MPP ... so I'm leaving it alone.

Chaim

Okay I see what you mean ... so what y'a gonna do? Use the Parks replica clamp in stead? Thanks scottjua ... I never checked mine since it fits so snug on my MPP ... so I'm leaving it alone.

Chaim

That's the debate... though I think I might be leaning towards just using my real clamp. I'm not removing the "MPP" tag on it so my build is never going to be 100% accurate anyways. But that said... I *might* have a cheat... I have to test and see.... :)

I can see not taking off the MPP tag... even on the Parks I may pick up it seems wrong to remove it.

Going to use that much overused word which in this case is completely appropriate: Awesome.

A bit of a change in gears (this will happen a lot since I can't just focus on one thing at a time it seems lol)

I started to work a little bit on the T-tracks for my Luke ESB build...

Before I start getting into more of the details, a bit of a word of encouragement to my fellow prop builder noobs out there that might be daunted, like I was, in tackling the Luke ESB. I'm a desk-jockey by profession and I've lived in condos for most of my adult life so the last time I really had to pick up and use tools in any meaningful fashion was in my metal and woodworking classes eons ago in high school.

Needless to say I was freaked out about screwing up this build more so than the other two - there aren't really anything that needs to be cut or drilled in an Obi or Vader build and what little that does need to be done is fairly straight forward. But for a Luke ESB, there's notches, drilling, riveting, and even more drilling involved before everything can be said and done.

All I can say is just go for it. You might take a bit longer to get there than some of the pros on here, but so long as you take a bit of care, you will get there. Of course I actually haven't started drilling anything yet so I could still live to eat those words lol....

Ok, on to the build.

After first cutting the T-tracks to the proper lengths and cleaning up the ends, I used information from both Gino's instructions and Roy's tutorial to first carefully measure out where the the notches are supposed to be with a pencil. I then used some thin painter's tape to mask off the area so I knew where I was going to cut.

IMG_1114.JPG

This not only provided me with a visual guide, but help protect the flat area of the track later on. I then very carefully used my exacto saw and mitre box and cut along the edges of the notch on both sides all the way to the base of the track. Again, masking off the base of the track really helped in the couple of instances that I was a little too aggressive in my sawing as only the tape got scuffed up slightly as opposed to the track itself. The benefit of sawing the notch edges was that it gave me a nice clean edge along the notch sides to work with before I needed to start clearing out the excess material.

IMG_1115.JPG

I them used my dremel with a grinding wheel to carefully cut out the excess material. This was easier than I was expecting it to be since the wheel more or less melts most of the excess plastic away. I got as close to the edges as I dared and as close to the base of the track as I could, and then used an exacto knife to clean up the base corners. I then used a file and some sandpaper to smooth out and clean up the base. The time I took to mask off the base once again came in handy as only the tape was scuffed and not the track itself during this process. And voila... notched out T-tracks:

IMG_1116.JPG

I unfortunately haven't had time to do much else, but I'll leave you all with a discussion point. I know that there are a few of you out there that are doing their own Graflex ESB builds and the ongoing debate amongst everyone has been screws vs. rivets for the T-tracks.

Well I'm about to throw more fuel into the fire for the rivets camp.

Thanks to Chaim, we know that the screws from an Exactra calculator seem to fit the bill for the size of whatever was used to hold the T-tracks on and were probably what was used. But a lot of people like the look of rivets as it give a more "outworldly" look as opposed to an everyday Philips head screw.

LukeESBscrew-01_zps0438e330.jpg

Now for most ESB builds I've seen on the site, most people who have gone the route of rivets seem to use the standard 1/8" rivets for their build. But, if Chaim's dimensions are correct, they would seem to be a little too big for this purpose.

Well... here's what using a 3/32" rivet would look like:

IMG_1117.JPG

The track on the top has the 3/32" rivet and the track on the bottom has the 1/8" rivet as a reference.

The size looks about right to me... what do you guys think?

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

*grumble grumble screws grumble*

I LOVE your description on how to work those notches. I just got an exacto saw/mitre box set for christmas and this saber is my next project. Nice work!

I like the LOOK of the lower ones... but I dunno. If matching screws, then yeah the top.

I have Exactra screws for mine... tried to shine them up with tricks I saw online, and now they're super dull.

I too have no tools, as I CURRENTLY live in a condo (moving to a house with GARAGE in 6 months) so I know your pain for dealing with even the smallest of projects.

I'm not even drilling the holes, I'm doing it at my friends place who has a drill press.

Careful drilling into that flash... don't wanna slip. Glue the T-tracks down first to hold as a guide.

What NeoRutty said ... I've been growing up seeing Luke's ESB with 1/8 rivets for so long now ... I just gotten used to them even before I learned that x-screws were used ... still the only evidence comes from the saber held at Skywalker Ranch or the Archives, which has never been confirmed to be seen on screen with that extra large graphic foil on the clamp ... as well as those additional tiny screws on the top-right of the T-track ... so what if all those extra bits to tighten the T-tracks were added or altered later on, after production ... that would indeed leave room for the more out-of-this-world rivets instead of screws. So yeah ... if you prefere those rivets ... go ahead and use the 1/8" or the smaller size, though remember . . . size matters not ;)

Chaim

I swear, in that ESB screws thread james kenobi (or MAYBE someone else) put up a final blown up shot of that bespin scene. There was a frank X there, and now the picture is missing. Notice how I ask "is that the same bespin scene" and something along the lines of "yep, i see it now"....right before that there used to be a picture and no one believes me now :lol

What NeoRutty said ... I've been growing up seeing Luke's ESB with 1/8 rivets for so long now ... I just gotten used to them even before I learned that x-screws were used ... still the only evidence comes from the saber held at Skywalker Ranch or the Archives, which has never been confirmed to be seen on screen with that extra large graphic foil on the clamp ... as well as those additional tiny screws on the top-right of the T-track ... so what if all those extra bits to tighten the T-tracks were added or altered later on, after production ... that would indeed leave room for the more out-of-this-world rivets instead of screws. So yeah ... if you prefere those rivets ... go ahead and use the 1/8" or the smaller size, though remember . . . size matters not ;)

Chaim

I swear, in that ESB screws thread james kenobi (or MAYBE someone else) put up a final blown up shot of that bespin scene. There was a frank X there, and now the picture is missing. Notice how I ask "is that the same bespin scene" and something along the lines of "yep, i see it now"....right before that there used to be a picture and no one believes me now :lol

I took some screen grabs of the best saber shots from ESB (1080p bluray) myself to check. I enhanced and enlarged the saber:

Wampa_cave_1.jpg Wampa_cave_2.jpg
Bespin_hallway_trap_3.jpg Bespin_hallway_trap_1.jpg
Bespin_hallway_trap_2.jpg

I can't make any crosses visible, but I did change the screws back to black on my Luke ESB :)

Roy

If only we could blow up this picture of 'lonely' Luke :

Or this one :

... however it feels like this debate about rivets vs. screws keeps popping up once in a while ... so here's that particular thread :

http://www.therpf.com/f79/lightsaber-screws-119376/?highlight=rivets+vs+screws

and as scottjua mentioned last : 'I'm still debating this in my head... I've been over and over the blu ray screen shots tonight too, and no conclusive thought yet... ' so there you have it. Let's finish this debate as I said for once and for all ... please :confused

Chaim

Cool Obi and Luke parts. Im not a huge fan of the Luke but its always cool to see a real parts build.

So what is the story behind the emitter? Is it a replica or the real thing? Also, how do you plan to put the obi together? It needs some things inside to keep it together.

Cant wait to see the completed Luke soon.

and as scottjua mentioned last : 'I'm still debating this in my head... I've been over and over the blu ray screen shots tonight too, and no conclusive thought yet... ' so there you have it. Let's finish this debate as I said for once and for all ... please :confused

Chaim

Ok... follow me on this... and someone please correct me if my eyes are playing tricks on me....

Based on Roy's example evidence and Chaim's Exactra screw reference picture, it looks to me like the heads on the screws that were/are used are pretty much the same width as the T-track "fin":

screw-size.jpgLukeESBscrew-01_zps0438e330.jpg

But if you look at Roy's screen grab, is it me or the screw/rivet head a noticeably few millimeters wider than the fin?

Wampa_cave_2.jpg

Almost, dare I say, the same amount of "overhang" as a 1/8" rivet head??

IMG_1117.JPG

screw-size.jpg

LukeESBscrew-01_zps0438e330.jpg

Wampa_cave_2.jpg

IMG_1117.JPG

Cool Obi and Luke parts. Im not a huge fan of the Luke but its always cool to see a real parts build.

So what is the story behind the emitter? Is it a replica or the real thing? Also, how do you plan to put the obi together? It needs some things inside to keep it together.

Cant wait to see the completed Luke soon.

Thanks! Yep... the emitter is real - both of them (though obviously one of them is an uncorrected male balance pipe) :)

Ah, envious of your real female balance pipe. Were you on the engine buy? Looking forward to the build. Hope the question of rivets vs screws dont keep you too occupied (lol yes Im biased).

Regarding the Luke, Im sure that they made multiple versions of the saber, both stunt and hero. I wouldnt be surprised if the ESB is very different from the ANH (and probably slighly easier to reference since it appears much more prominently in ESB. Luke only turns it on in tatooine and trains with the droid on the falcon in ANH).

Ah, envious of your real female balance pipe. Were you on the engine buy? Looking forward to the build. Hope the question of rivets vs screws dont keep you too occupied (lol yes Im biased).

Regarding the Luke, Im sure that they made multiple versions of the saber, both stunt and hero. I wouldnt be surprised if the ESB is very different from the ANH (and probably slighly easier to reference since it appears much more prominently in ESB. Luke only turns it on in tatooine and trains with the droid on the falcon in ANH).

Heh... don't worry... I should be getting to the Obi soon enough... my big problem with it right now are my sink knobs.... one's stuck so I can't disassemble it and flip the cubes, and my other one is a bath knob variant and it looks like I'll have to take a hacksaw to it to make it work :(

And yup... there are a lot of differences between the ANH and ESB versions of Luke's lightsaber... the screws/rivets on the T-tracks is one of them... we're just trying to figure out what was used :)

Heh... don't worry... I should be getting to the Obi soon enough... my big problem with it right now are my sink knobs.... one's stuck so I can't disassemble it and flip the cubes, and my other one is a bath knob variant and it looks like I'll have to take a hacksaw to it to make it work :(

And yup... there are a lot of differences between the ANH and ESB versions of Luke's lightsaber... the screws/rivets on the T-tracks is one of them... we're just trying to figure out what was used :)

No rush no rush. Just a little ribbing. Take your time with the sabers. Any good product takes time and love and research. I love learning more about how these props and the various builds anyway so will keep a close eye on the thread. Sorry if Im derailing btw.

As far as those AS handwheels ... I never understood why the cubes were flipped in the first place ... putting together the OB1 props it makes little sense and compared to the later ROTS OB1 saber all cubes were 'flipped' back to the original position as on the vintage handwheels. So were those OB1 ANH cubes flipped and all other vintage parts cobbled back together after production in need for several publicity shots when STAR WARS turned to be a blockbuster and huge success? One of my AS handwheels is also quite stuck and I was adviced to use some WD-40 as well as the square metal part of a seperated regular doorhandle to use as a tool ... perhaps this might give you some ideas to loosen all the 4 parts?

Chaim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back