Edraven99's Collection Tread - Long Overdue Updates

Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread - Real Parts Obi Complete! Sort of

^ Indeed all I thought was Edraven99 has got a white picket fence ... and some nice shrubs in his garden ... I wonder if Mary Poppins lives there too :wacko

Chaim

P.S. Yeah, yeah ... very cool catch ... (green with envy and smiling through my teeth)

Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread - Real Parts Obi Complete! Sort of

^ Indeed all I thought was Edraven99 has got a white picket fence ... and some nice shrubs in his garden ... I wonder if Mary Poppins lives there too :wacko

Chaim

P.S. Yeah, yeah ... very cool catch ... (green with envy and smiling through my teeth) http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/biggrin3_zps14cae5ee.png

Thanks Chaim! I'm still keeping my eye out for one for you!

It's amazing how little time you have to devote to props with newborn twins... even simple tasks like swapping out grenades :wacko

Ok... so what do you guys like better... weathered? Or AFBB? :D

DSC01573_zps7pjyijnl.jpg
DSC01588_zps66u95asc.jpg
DSC01576_zpsndpozvzc.jpg
DSC01590_zpsuk5gemjh.jpg
DSC01575_zpsidm7utax.jpg
DSC01589_zpsooihtobw.jpg

I like the AFBB more, but I like both versions!

The one on the right with the other one as a display piece.

AFBB... That grenade has such a sweet color... mine would probably look like that by now if it wasn't covered in paint for 100 years.:D

I should probably give my two cents when next I see in person!

Did you finish your MPP with my D-ring yet ... or are you going for one of Roy's replicas in the near future?

Chaim

Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread - Real Parts Obi Build!!

Ok… so I’ve been meaning to post a step-by-step build thread for my Real Parts Obi lightsaber ever since I saw Tom’s build.

I figured that people might want to see (no offense to Tom) a less “extreme” build, that might not be as daunting as drilling the grenade or cutting up a vintage flash hider, and still makes use of as many vintage parts as possible for their builds.

And the beauty thing about this build is that because Roman offers complete Mk 1grenade replicas as well as a replica of the ANM2 booster cone, all of you out there with replica parts can do this build as well!

So here’s what you need for hardware parts:

- One 3 ½ “ long 1/4 20 carriage bolt
- One 3/8 16 rod cut to about 6 ¼” long
- One 3/8 16 to 1/4 20 coupling nut (Thanks Tom!)
- One 1/4 20 nut
- Two 1/4 20 washers

IMG_2203.JPGIMG_2175.JPGCoupler.jpg

Step 1:
Put the carriage bolt through the AS handwheel. You’ll notice that the square base of the bolt fits perfectly into the square slot of the handwheel hole. Tighten with one of your washers and the nut.

IMG_2204.JPGIMG_2205.JPGIMG_2150.JPG

Step 2:
Put your booster into place in the handwheel, complete with the booster cone attached. Mine’s a replica cone that came from the run that teecrooz had done, which was beautifully finished by Serenity. It’s still available as far as I know from Roman.

Use your last washer and secure with your coupling nut.

IMG_1708.JPGIMG_1710.JPGIMG_2151.JPGIMG_2152.JPG

Step 3:
Test fit your clamp. The clamp should sit on top of your booster fins and when closed, snugly clamp around the lip of the booster cone ring.

Here’s the neat thing: the diameter of the booster cone ring is the same diameter as the grenade! To further test the fit of your clamp, release it, take your grenade and have the base of it “sit” on the clamp tabs and close the clamp again. You should be able to lift everything with only the tension of the clamp holding everything together (though I would NOT recommend swinging it around!)

At this point, attach your transistors to your clamp. I attached my vintage transistors but cutting off the “legs”, drilling a small hole into the resin base, epoxying a small brass screw with the screw head cut off, and securing them using small brass nuts through the clamp holes. The washer is from Roman.

IMG_2176.JPGIMG_2177.JPGIMG_2206.JPG

Step 4:
Once you’ve attached your transistors, once again, place your properly fitted clamp on top or your booster fins.

Take your 3/8 16 rod and screw it into your nut adaptor all the way so that it’s tight.

Then, take your grenade - with the brass top plate still screwed on – and gently thread the 3/8 16 rod through it and once again have the base of it sit on top of the clamp tabs.

Another fun fact: the hole in the brass top plate as well as the opening in the wind vane base are pretty much 3/8” in diameter so the rod will keep your grenade in place.

Add your bubble strip to the clamp and close it to secure everything together.

IMG_2083.JPGIMG_2251.JPG

Step 5:
Screw on your balance pipe and adaptor (again, I’m using Roman’s adaptor) and voila!

IMG_2178.JPG

You now have a very securely put together Obi Wan lightsaber with minimal fuss and utilizing as many of the pieces to the original parts as possible!

As for my build… I’d say I’m about 99% finished with it. I have a re-chromed AS handwheel on it that I’m using at the moment for it, but I intend to swap that out with my vintage chromed handwheel as soon as I can get the D-ring hole drilled.

I also may try and swap out my wind vane wheel (propeller?) with a more accurate ‘ridged’ ring; which I do have, but I need to get the ring re-soldered back together.

And for all of you who bore through this really long post, how about a special treat? And what better treat than not one, but TWO real parts Obi Wan Kenobi lightsabers? :D

Enjoy!!

IMG_2225.JPGIMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPGIMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

Coupler.jpg

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Two?! :eek

I'm jealous in the most complete way!

Great tutorial by the way, cool to see how you mated it all together!

Questions!

1. How do you decide when to use the hot or cold saber?

2. Do we know what the bottom plate on the screen-used saber was? Could Obi-Wan have had a H or C lightsaber? :)

3. A lot of the kits and repro part version used a core insider the clamp, you skipped that. does it every "feel" empty when handling it? Is it known if the original was empty inside the clamp or had some sort of core like the one Roman offers?

Questions!

1. How do you decide when to use the hot or cold saber?

2. Do we know what the bottom plate on the screen-used saber was? Could Obi-Wan have had a H or C lightsaber? :)

3. A lot of the kits and repro part version used a core insider the clamp, you skipped that. does it every "feel" empty when handling it? Is it known if the original was empty inside the clamp or had some sort of core like the one Roman offers?

I'll do my best to answer!

1. Personal preference really. I like the "C" myself... C = cold = blue, whereas H = hot = red... and since Obi's blade was blue...

2. As far as I know and as far as I've been told by more knowledgeable people, no one really knows which sink knob was used.

3. Not at all... the weigh of this thing is actually pretty impressive. You have to remember, most of everything that goes to make this lightsaber is solid steel - the grenade body, the booster, and even a part of the handwheel. Not to mention the balance pipe is made of inconel so it doesn't feel 'hollow' or empty in the least.

Hope this helps!

Two... twoo... twooooooooo... And now I go back to looking for ANM2 flashiders...:wacko and a jet engine... :cry

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back