A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Re: Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Almost a bit like, "I created this cool make up effects but I didn't actually watch the film"

Actually no - the make-up effects were purposely intended to reflect the concept art from Blomkamp's team. In that regard I think they were spot on. Since the guys involved worked on every Alien film except for the first one, I'm pretty sure they've seen 'em ;)

It's a really nice Make-up job, just way over the top. I'm sure this is the guys at ADI almost doing a little pitch to Blomkamp in case this film happens !! Thing is creature wise Blomkamp is well into the digital side of stuff so I could easily see him going down that route for the Aliens themselves !!

Thing is creature wise Blomkamp is well into the digital side of stuff so I could easily see him going down that route for the Aliens themselves !!

Why stop at the Aliens when you can also do Space Jockeys? That's right. Space Jockeys. Not Engineers who are bald hairless albino humans who's direction was to make them look like a mix between Elvis Pressley and the Statue of Liberty. Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than seeing an artist like Blomkamp try to make that original Space Jockey creature come to life in whatever kind of life it would take on.

It's like the Hypersleep pods or the Sulaco written in white in Alien 3, did nobody say, 'Hey it didn't look like this in the last movie' ? :)

View attachment 438155View attachment 438156

Well, for the absence of Newt, they could probably have it where there was some sort of malfunction with her cryotube and she ended up dead (so that way they could explain why Newt's not involved with the events). But then again, that didn't really work very well for Alien 3, so they may not go with it.

If they decided to go this rout, its obvious Ripley and Hicks have aged, they could easily cast Newt as an older actress.

Re: Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

I was excited until I saw these two together. I hope it's not another Ripley crap fest.

Ripley, as portrayed by Weaver, is one of the most iconic characters in modern sic-fi. It's not the characters or actresses fault she was poorly realized in two of the films. I would love to see her back.

Actually no - the make-up effects were purposely intended to reflect the concept art from Blomkamp's team. In that regard I think they were spot on. Since the guys involved worked on every Alien film except for the first one, I'm pretty sure they've seen 'em ;)

I was talking about the original concept art. Pretty sure they've seen the film too, but doesn't change the fact that they're not very similar.

Alien
is like Terminator - its original monster has become far too iconic to be effective like it originally was.

I was talking about the original concept art. Pretty sure they've seen the film too, but doesn't change the fact that they're not very similar.

What exactly isn't similar? Concept art is CONCEPT art - the Derelict ship in Blomkamp's art isn't dead on to what was seen in the film(s) - if the artist just wanted to convey the concept of an acid-scarred Hicks, I think *conceptually* he absolutely pulled it off (and for what it's worth, successfully conveyed the idea to the appropriate execs).

Alright thank you Willie for that...just made my day...I hope they push Alien 5 thru to the big screen !!!!

Re: Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

I was excited until I saw these two together. I hope it's not another Ripley crap fest.

Ripley died and should have stayed dead. A clever writer and a good filmmaker could continue the Alien series without her. It limits the scope of the movies to think that nothing in the universe happens with the aliens unless Ripley is around - do they cease to exist without her?

A clever writer absolutely can, the problem is the folks ponying up the money for these films have their own ideas about what makes a franchise. Problem is the studio mentality, not really the filmmakers.

Which perfectly underlines the basic problem with the movie industry. It seems not many care about the integrity of a storyline or character they just want to see the return of their favorite character or repeat the best moments of the best entry in a given franchise. If you yell Ripley in a room full of sci-fi fans you get a tweeny-bopper screech of delight at the thought of her return even though the character was absolutely horrid in the last movie and she freaking died in the movie before that.

I'm sorry but no matter how bad a movie franchise gets I would rather see a continuation of what came before and not have a writer or director hit the magic reset button and ignore what came before.

Whatever the merits you think the last two movies did or did not have what's the point of even becoming invested in a story or character if the story is rolled back every time a movie doesn't make enough money, a hot director decides they want to take a shot at a sequel, or the star expresses interest in returning? It would become a joke after awhile. Look at the Spider-Man franchise, do I care to see three takes on the story one right after another? Hell no, who cares if all they're going to do is start over again.

Whatever the merits you think the last two movies did or did not have what's the point of even becoming invested in a story or character if the story is rolled back every time a movie doesn't make enough money, a hot director decides they want to take a shot at a sequel, or the star expresses interest in returning? It would become a joke after awhile. Look at the Spider-Man franchise, do I care to see three takes on the story one right after another? Hell no, who cares if all they're going to do is start over again.

I would argue that continuing the story after ALIENS and ignoring 3 and 4 wouldn't be a "start over". If you want to argue about how wrong starting over a movie franchise*is you'll have plenty of support over in the Ghostbusters 3 thread.

Also, ignoring Alien3 and Alien Resurrection isn't much of a new thing since both the director and writer of Alien3 choose to ignore it in their own way and Joss Whedon even has a whole quote on the wikipedia page for Alien Resurrection saying, and I quote, "They did everything wrong that they could possibly do."

Last edited:

I agree that it would not be starting over from scratch such as the Spider-man movies keep doing, but it would be rolling the story back to a certain degree and erasing some events some fans found unacceptable.

The director and writer of Alien³ didn't exactly ignore what came before but chose to go in a different direction and use a certain style that did not appeal to many fans while at the same time killing off two popular characters. He left the movie because of studio interference and didn't choose to ignore it intentionally. I don't have a major problem with the third movie except for some inconsistencies in the hardware and sets and some sloppy FX, as for Alien Resurrection I don't consider what they did as ignoring what came before I just see the whole movie as a mishmash of one bad idea after another that was ill conceived, badly written, and poorly acted and filmed, it's just a terrible movie. Joss Whedon expressing his dissatisfaction is not exactly ignoring that the movie exists.

But to try and erase both movies simply for the convenience of bringing back two or more beloved characters is just ridiculous.

As for Ghostbusters I have never been that big a fan anyway but I don't see a problem with continuing the story with new actors (just not the ones they cast) I just think the reboot thing is a bad idea in general. But really without Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, and Rick Moranis what the hell is the point.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back