A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Re: Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

The parts that felt the most Aliens to me were the reactor and hive, but thats as far as I have gotten so far.

And taking my entire post out of context, no less. :lol

If the context was supposed to state the blatantly obvious, I guess I'm not in the mood. I just think it's silly that everyone is taking shots at ALIENS for ruining the xenos when subsequent films in the franchise did far, far worse

Aliens is a fantastic if not perfect film but one thing it DID do is turn the Xeno from a near invincible killing beast and one of cinemas true monsters into just canon fodder. And don't get me started on the mods to Giger's design including taking the menacing human skull from the front of it's head.Alien was pure thrilling horror and tension at its best where as Aliens was a sci-fi action blockbuster.Isolation based on the former rather than the later. And I do love Aliens.

Aliens is a fantastically entertaining movie but in my mind it did cheapen the "perfect organism" of the original movie. As much as Alien³ is despised at least it tried to return the alien to being a more menacing and unstoppable foe.

Yeah, I agree with Mola Rob and Gizmo. I was almost 10 years old when ALIEN came out and that creature scared me so much I became obsessed with it. I didn't understand it, how it worked, why it was so frightening. As a teen in high school, the Aliens looked too much like acrobats in suits too often and it was the only aspect of that film I didn't like.

Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

If the context was supposed to state the blatantly obvious, I guess I'm not in the mood. I just think it's silly that everyone is taking shots at ALIENS for ruining the xenos when subsequent films in the franchise did far, far worse

Actually, the statement was about how the game borrows more from the original film than it does from both movies, despite the fact that the story takes place in between them. By just quoting the opening if the post, it takes the whole thing out of context.

But to be fair, it wasn't the film Aliens that stole the xenomorph's scary thunder. It was all the films, games and merchandise that were based on the second film to the point of over saturation that stole the xenomorph's scariness. In fact, it's that over saturation that lead to Ridley Scott doing Prometheus instead of another film featuring the xenomorph (which he has stated it has had a hell of a series run).. The fact A:I is based more on the first film than the second film that makes it such a breath of fresh air, because it gives you a creature you're suppose to fear. It's not about gunning down the aliens with a big grin on your face (which pretty much came about due to Cameron taking some of the concepts from the first film and, as he himself out it, turned it into a war movie). The game is about being in that scenario the first film presented, with no real easy way to take it out and trying to survive like how the Nostromo crew attempted to.

Last edited:

As I mentioned, I was let down my the xenomorphs right at the same time we started calling them xenomorphs. :) It's hard to put into words how strongly I was drawn to the original Alien design, with the clear dome, skull face, silver teeth, odd movements, even the way how there was an odd loving, embracing way he killed Brett and Lambert. It was like it was studying them, curious, gentle....and then that tongue and teeth exploded so violently from its mouth smashing their skull. And when it reaches out for Dallas, yikes! Or when Ripley rounds the corner and it standing in the hallway, bent over at the waist, quietly resting, waiting. And when it notices her, it slowly rounds the corner and stops to examine Jones in his box.

As I mentioned, I was let down my the xenomorphs right at the same time we started calling them xenomorphs. :) It's hard to put into words how strongly I was drawn to the original Alien design, with the clear dome, skull face, silver teeth, odd movements, even the way how there was an odd loving, embracing way he killed Brett and Lambert. It was like it was studying them, curious, gentle....and then that tongue and teeth exploded so violently from its mouth smashing their skull. And when it reaches out for Dallas, yikes! Or when Ripley rounds the corner and it standing in the hallway, bent over at the waist, quietly resting, waiting. And when it notices her, it slowly rounds the corner and stops to examine Jones in his box.

My thoughts exactly, this may sound weird but to me the alien in Alien felt alien. It seemed highly intelligent but was incredibly brutal, it was graceful and elegantly creepy. It had a human form but was distorted, with protrusions on it's back and that strange elongated head. In Aliens they became bugs, plain and simple. There were a lot of them and they swarmed and overwhelmed the marines like bee's would if you attacked their nest. They were no longer alien they were pests.

I wonder if the follow up to Alien had only been another single creature, would it have felt like a retread? As much as I love one and two, I don't feel like the sequel tarnished the mythos - to me it just logically opened up the world a little more, and gave us a new take. As opposed to three, the first film was such a perfect take on a single creature, much in the way Aliens was a much better take on multiple creatures as opposed to Resurrection.

I wonder if the follow up to Alien had only been another single creature, would it have felt like a retread? As much as I love one and two, I don't feel like the sequel tarnished the mythos - to me it just logically opened up the world a little more, and gave us a new take. As opposed to three, the first film was such a perfect take on a single creature, much in the way Aliens was a much better take on multiple creatures as opposed to Resurrection.

3 and 4 were just rubbish. But I can see how your thinking with them having a fresh take on things with Aliens.That makes sense and I think what Cameron was doing. I would never have had a sequel with just one alien again though and just rehash the first. I think Alien could stand alone as a masterpiece with no sequel needed. And don't get me wrong I love Aliens. It's brilliant. There's just something mesmerizing about that first alien. I'm a huge fan of Giger and Alien is what drew me to his work. All his artwork is so captivating and chiling to me. It scares me in a way that first creature did when I was younger. For Isolation to capture the spirit of that creature he created was a very rejoicing moment for me.

Ben

Predator 2 kept one and it didn't feel like a retread. Predators though...great film but felt like a retread...

But Blomp would probably really go all out on the world building. Although Elysium fell short of the mark I thought it a was a tecnically well done film. Except slo-mo scene...there

Oh, I totally agree, Cameron had the correct instinct and made a masterpiece of an action film.

I know generally people don't like Resurrection, but it had some great moments, the underwater scene particularly stands out.

I know generally people don't like Resurrection, but it had some great moments, the underwater scene particularly stands out.

A3 restored some of the Alien that I loved. Resurrection completly jumped the xeno shark..they even growl. :(

Speaking of a new spin on the ALIEN story, I am reading a book called "ALIEN- Out of the Shadows" which creates a whole new post ALIEN story for Ripley. It's pretty good.

Last edited:

A3 restored some of the Alien that I loved.
But did it have to go through so much stupid in order to get there? And what we ended up with wasn't that interesting anyways. The xeno is just kills you and that's it. And that whole "the Alien so scary on the first film was you never really saw it and when you did it was unclear what you were seeing, you just knew it was bad."? Not here. We got to see this xeno in plain sight many many times. Sometimes with visual effects that have not aged well at all.

You know what just absolutely killed Resurrection for me (among many things) - when Call gets on the Auriga's PA and says, "All Aliens please report to deck three. All Aliens please report to deck three." Really? They speak English now? This is what the creature's now become? So cartooney and dumb.

You know what just absolutely killed Resurrection for me (among many things) - when Call gets on the Auriga's PA and says, "All Aliens please report to deck three. All Aliens please report to deck three." Really? They speak English now? This is what the creature's now become? So cartooney and dumb.

Not defemd that steaming pile of a film, but I always took that as a joke and not that the aliens understood.

You're probably right, I was just shaking my head when that moment happened.

It's just such a rich universe when done right - the big mystery I always wanted more of was never the Space Jockeys - but more about Weyland-Yutani (the company, not the man) - that's why I dig some of this Blomkamp concept art.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back