A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Never seen a 1911 with sling shot and/or crossbow accessories :lol
:p
Yeah, but I've got a bayonet for my Glock 23.

32D49E85-D97B-41B4-90E4-B09CBA3A9C10_zpssqwe8s1x.jpg

I have low hopes for this. For me, the best of Alien/Aliens have been rooted in interesting characters, dialogue and strong performances. Neil is a great stylist (though he obviously and admittedly pulls material/design from known manga) but he has yet to demonstrate an understanding of character, character development, dialogue or an innate understanding of actors. I have low hopes.

That seems fair. Best to approach the film with a "eh...we'll see..." attitude. Might wind up good, probably won't, but it'll sure be pretty either way.

I still think this is Blomkamps personal airsoft pulse rifle that he had a prop guy trick out and he's just having a laugh.

Look at the weapons in Elysium, the sights all matched the weapons. The weapons were all designed. Even the add on parts were made from scratch. He mated an old weapon, an AK47 "Is this a family heirloom?" (was the joke in the scene) with air bursting ammunition, and a very cool laser sighting system that was attached using zip ties.

He's not going to stick a tech from 2015 on a gun from 2204 unless there is story behind it. He's a gun guy. He knows weapons really well. He made notes about Magpul accessories in some of the different concept weapons from Elysium. Directors who don't know guns don't do that.

I still think this is Blomkamps personal airsoft pulse rifle that he had a prop guy trick out and he's just having a laugh.

Look at the weapons in Elysium, the sights all matched the weapons. The weapons were all designed. Even the add on parts were made from scratch. He mated an old weapon, an AK47 "Is this a family heirloom?" (was the joke in the scene) with air bursting ammunition, and a very cool laser sighting system that was attached using zip ties.

He's not going to stick a tech from 2015 on a gun from 2204 unless there is story behind it. He's a gun guy. He knows weapons really well. He made notes about Magpul accessories in some of the different concept weapons from Elysium. Directors who don't know guns don't do that.
Magpul is big with the air soft community, too - it's not exclusive to the gun community.
Just sayin'

And isn't the sight on backwards?

Nope. The sight is on the correct way. I have a very similar one installed on my .223.

I like the look of it, but I really, really doubt that is what they'll be using in the film. As Noeland said, Neill has a great taste in gun design. There is no way he'd take such a huge step backwards in the design aspects... At least I hope so!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have low hopes for this. For me, the best of Alien/Aliens have been rooted in interesting characters, dialogue and strong performances. Neil is a great stylist (though he obviously and admittedly pulls material/design from known manga) but he has yet to demonstrate an understanding of character, character development, dialogue or an innate understanding of actors. I have low hopes.

Ditto. Blomkamp's a great concept designer but a weak writer-director.

Yep....I agree. Blomkamp ....may be not much of a people person in terms of perceptive intuitive ability. A typical sci-fi geek, more at home with gadgets and ideas, with likely a low intuitive sense of the human condition and feelings. From what I have seen and my deductions.....it may be a factor that is affecting his films. Nevertheless, the upcoming Aliens movie could be a winner if the team work it through together well.:popcorn

Last edited:
Yeah, I see him as very much in the mold of George Lucas -- great idea guy, not so good at capturing the human condition in writing. The sort of filmmaker who needs to be teamed with a strong storyteller to take those ideas and make them an awesome narrative.

--Jonah

I've seen him talk about these things in interviews. He seems pretty humble and open about his shortcomings as a storyteller, and seems to know where his weaknesses lie, which I find kind of refreshing.

My only real hope or "want" for this film is that they don't retread putting Ripley in some kind of mechanical rig to fight a Queen at the end. The concept art with her and Hicks looking at some kind of suit of armor made me wonder about that. But they also have her in that Aliens rig with a dome helmet on, I'm guessing so she can infiltrate a hive unnoticed?

OK, maybe that's not my only hope or want. :)

Those insects are pretty smart, right..... "how can they cut the power?!...they're animals!..." I reckon it would be kind of cool if they can somehow communicate with us...even if in a crude or rudimentary way with the humans this time...... die all you carbon based organisms ....die! ....no...breed so we can breed too....:p

Those insects are pretty smart, right..... "how can they cut the power?!...they're animals!..." I reckon it would be kind of cool if they can somehow communicate with us...even if in a crude or rudimentary way with the humans this time...... die all you carbon based organisms ....die! ....no...breed so we can breed too....:p

Oh, HELL NO. It would be like in that horrible Roger Corman movie "Forbidden World". Just no no no no no no no no no no no no no. The Xenomorphs have already lost enough mystery. It was enough that the Queen knew to send away her drones when Ripley threatened with the flamer.

NO.

Oh, HELL NO. It would be like in that horrible Roger Corman movie "Forbidden World". Just no no no no no no no no no no no no no. The Xenomorphs have already lost enough mystery. It was enough that the Queen knew to send away her drones when Ripley threatened with the flamer.

NO.

:lol:thumbsup

What are your thoughts regarding the newborn in Resurrection? ;) :p

:lol:thumbsup

What are your thoughts regarding the newborn in Resurrection? ;) :p

It was creepy in a disgusting way (I have to give them that)... but I hate it to the point that it's not entertaining and that I don't want to watch it. Resurrection would have been a fine general scifi-movie, but as an Alien film it's an atrocity, aside from having a couple interesting ideas. It should never have been directed by Jeunet either. He's a fine director, but didn't understand the series because he turned it into a slimy gorefest instead of the psycho-sexual horror that the Xenos represent. (He himself even openly questioned why Fox wanted him to do it.) It also contains the same quirky French humor as in The Fifth Element. (No offense to the French humor intended, I just don't think it works in an Alien film.)

So damn it Blomkamp, NO TALKING ALIENS. Please.

It was creepy in a disgusting way (I have to give them that)... but I hate it to the point that it's not entertaining and that I don't want to watch it. Resurrection would have been a fine general scifi-movie, but as an Alien film it's an atrocity, aside from having a couple interesting ideas. It should never have been directed by Jeunet either. He's a fine director, but didn't understand the series because he turned it into a slimy gorefest instead of the psycho-sexual horror that the Xenos represent. (He himself even openly questioned why Fox wanted him to do it.) It also contains the same quirky French humor as in The Fifth Element. (No offense to the French humor intended, I just don't think it works in an Alien film.)

So damn it Blomkamp, NO TALKING ALIENS. Please.

Agreed, agreed and agreed :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back