A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Re: Neil Blomkamp's A L I E N movie

I very much doubt there was a screenplay attached to this ! It'll have been a rough plot scrawled on a napkin at best !! It comes across like a fan boy fantasy, and Blomkamp can afford to pay concept artist to draw some of those ideas up !! Is the Alien scary anymore ? Alien Isolation players seem to think so, or is it more of just a case the mood and atmosphere in that game are well done, it could be any monster stalking them in the dark and it would be spooky. The alien like Freddy Kruger, the Daleks is now part of public consciousness, we all know what it looks like, gone are the days from Alien and Aliens of it being a scary creature.

I very much doubt there was a screenplay attached to this ! It'll have been a rough plot scrawled on a napkin at best !! It comes across like a fan boy fantasy, and Blomkamp can afford to pay concept artist to draw some of those ideas up !! Is the Alien scary anymore ? Alien Isolation players seem to think so, or is it more of just a case the mood and atmosphere in that game are well done, it could be any monster stalking them in the dark and it would be spooky. The alien like Freddy Kruger, the Daleks is now part of public consciousness, we all know what it looks like, gone are the days from Alien and Aliens of it being a scary creature.

The xenomorph hadn't scared me at all since the 90's... that is until I played through Alien Isolation. The creature is still very much a scary effin' monster, that much is clear.

The xeno doesn't need to be scary. It just needs to be formidable, quick, and intelligent. The story can be scary without making all the scares based around the monster. The story, quite frankly, can be terrifying in it's concept and execution if it's worked on and not just churned out. It can still be disturbing, unsettling, interesting and riveting if it's put in the right hands.

Blomkamp is a writer too, so there could very well be a screenplay sitting on his hard drive that he was just been working on in his spare time that he never showed the studio. You never know. Could be a good damn story too. I mean, what's with the explosive suicide vest?

But you know, I'm not as angry and cynical as Rogue Trooper is. ;) Kidding Just kidding around.

I always wanted to see the critters home world, I didn't buy into they were created, maybe augmented, but they had natural origins and the
Space Jockeys race bit off more than they could chew perhaps whatever it was they were doing with them. I thought if there is a Queen, there must be a King, perhaps they battle for the right to mate and die, or more likely get eaten since the insect world works that way sometimes.
Prometheus of course screws up all the directions I would have preferred they had gone.

The xenomorph hadn't scared me at all since the 90's... that is until I played through Alien Isolation. The creature is still very much a scary effin' monster, that much is clear.

The best part of ALIEN and Alien-Isolation is that the creature is a singular threat. I love Aliens, but I prefer a stalking alien as opposed to cannon fodder jumping and leaping aliens. I have said it before in other conversations but what made the Alien so scary on the first film was you never really saw it and when you did it was unclear what you were seeing, you just knew it was bad. I love some of the behinds the scenes stuff showing how they practiced the creatures movements intentionally making them odd so that it wouldn't look like a guy in a suit.

The best part of ALIEN and Alien-Isolation is that the creature is a singular threat. I love Aliens, but I prefer a stalking alien as opposed to cannon fodder jumping and leaping aliens.

I would hardly call the marines in ALIENS canon fodder. A lot of casualties sustained during their first foray into the Hive were marines that I was going to miss. Real canon fodder are characters who die that neither the main characters nor the audience give a crap about. Most action films these days don't even care about losses anymore. And we saw the xenos jumping and leaping how many times? I counted only once near the end. Most of the time they're seen on screen they're creeping and crawling! Also, the Queen did no such jumping and leaping!

I will say this for Isolation. I LOVED the Hive revelation. Even if it came at the expense of the stalking element, something has got to happen if you let an Alien remain loose for that long. It was a great transition going from trying to eliminate a single threat to escaping a threat that's numerous, has a new method of attack (Face Huggers!) and are now uncontainable. I just wish the game allowed the player to save some of the characters. I liked the part looking for stray survivors and getting them to safety.

I would hardly call the marines in ALIENS canon fodder. A lot of casualties sustained during their first foray into the Hive were marines that I was going to miss. Real canon fodder are characters who die that neither the main characters nor the audience give a crap about. Most action films these days don't even care about losses anymore. And we saw the xenos jumping and leaping how many times? I counted only once near the end. Most of the time they're seen on screen they're creeping and crawling! Also, the Queen did no such jumping and leaping!

I will say this for Isolation. I LOVED the Hive revelation. Even if it came at the expense of the stalking element, something has got to happen if you let an Alien remain loose for that long. It was a great transition going from trying to eliminate a single threat to escaping a threat that's numerous, has a new method of attack (Face Huggers!) and are now uncontainable. I just wish the game allowed the player to save some of the characters. I liked the part looking for stray survivors and getting them to safety.

No, not the marines, the aliens themselves became a little less scary when they were legion and getting blasted by pulse rifles. I actually just finished that level of Isolation and it was fun, but I would have been fine without it and just more of the one alien stalking me. Queen's and hives are cool but I am actually partial to the original ALIEN life cycle as described in the book and cut scene where the Alien converts his prey into eggs.

It's the working Joe's that I can't stand and find very frustrating and not as much fun.

No, not the marines, the aliens themselves became a little less scary when they were legion and getting blasted by pulse rifles.

I just look at it in terms of practicality. If you have more than one xeno, and a group of people with weapons in a non-vacuum environment, it seems like a natural progression. I mean, it could have been worse. A LOT WORSE. Besides, the Xeno kind of lost it's scary factor when it crawled into the Narcissus' engine nozzle. At least the Queen crawled into the right place.

It's the working Joe's that I can't stand and find very frustrating and not as much fun.

AMEN TO THAT! Easily my biggest gripe with the game. Especially towards the end when the gadgets you have are almost useless.

The best part of ALIEN and Alien-Isolation is that the creature is a singular threat. I love Aliens, but I prefer a stalking alien as opposed to cannon fodder jumping and leaping aliens. I have said it before in other conversations but what made the Alien so scary on the first film was you never really saw it and when you did it was unclear what you were seeing, you just knew it was bad. I love some of the behinds the scenes stuff showing how they practiced the creatures movements intentionally making them odd so that it wouldn't look like a guy in a suit.

I actually prefer AlienS over Alien. However I do agree that a single stalking alien as you put it is a bit more scary than a bunch of cannon fodder.
As cool and exciting it is seeing aliens jumping from wall to wall, that is definitely better suited for a first person shooter/action film.

No, not the marines, the aliens themselves became a little less scary when they were legion and getting blasted by pulse rifles. I actually just finished that level of Isolation and it was fun, but I would have been fine without it and just more of the one alien stalking me. Queen's and hives are cool but I am actually partial to the original ALIEN life cycle as described in the book and cut scene where the Alien converts his prey into eggs.

I'm actually playing the game, as is my Dad. I agree. The game company made the alien scary once again. I agree, the aliens in Aliens didn't seem as scary as comparison to the one in the first film (with the exception of the Queen, the first time we see her up until the escape from LV-426), and every game that has come out has based itself on the Aliens concept. The Working Joes have their scary moments, but it does wear off quickly. I have to admit, I kinda wish Alien: Isolation was a film instead of a game. The story seems like the kind of thing that should have been done as a film, but it also works well for the game.

Having got a PS4 for Christmas and Alien:Isolation I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. As much as I LOVE Aliens,Isolation is the best thing since the original Alien movie. It perfectly captures the world Ridley and co created. And to all the movie makers out there that think things need to be modernized and fancy(Star Wars PT) this games popularity is proof that keeping things lo-fi sci-fi is still best.The world of Alien is still just as relevant and effective as it was in the 70's. No need for 100's of Aliens and fancy a weaponry and spaceships or the ridiculous AvP movies. For me there is Alien and Isolation and if I'm in the right mood Aliens. ;)

Ben

The world of Alien is still just as relevant and effective as it was in the 70's. No need for 100's of Aliens and fancy a weaponry and spaceships-

Didn't ALIEN mostly take place on a spaceship?

Isolation is the best thing since the original Alien movie. It perfectly captures the world Ridley and co created.

Don't forget James Cameron and his co. I don't know if you've ever realized it or not, but Amanda Ripley was specifically created for the film ALIENS, and the game's story and certain style elements still abides to a lot of what ALIENS establishes.

Look at the zillion iterations of the classic monsters, it went on and on.

The eighties wave of Predators, Aliens, Terminators created a whole new
era but that wave is still being ridden just like the classic monsters were and still are sometimes.

I wonder when/if we might see another explosion of new creations like that?

Guilmeo Del Toro (sp) Comes to mind. He has a fresh, original take on other species. The Jeeper Creeper monster was also kinda cool. Too bad that franchise was aimed at the teen crowd.

It takes place mostly on a space ship... Mostly.

Don't forget James Cameron and his co. I don't know if you've ever realized it or not, but Amanda Ripley was specifically created for the film ALIENS, and the game's story and certain style elements still abides to a lot of what ALIENS establishes.

Actually, the game's design borrows elements from both films, even more so since the story takes place in between the films. Amanda Ripley may have been designed and created for Aliens (in fact, one previous draft of the screenplay actually had Amanda still alive when her mother was found, and Amanda being embittered by the years of her mother's absence), but most of the design of the game was modeled after Ridley Scott's film with small bits and pieces of Aliens thrown in. To me, A:I actually fits literally in the middle of both films in story and in design.

I actually meant fancy cgi spaceships and modern fx. And yes I realize there is elements of Aliens but it's mostly Alien inspired. Even the developers say that's what they were aiming for.

Ben

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back