Snow Trooper "Auction" helmet Analysis and possible identification?

tubachris85x

Master Member
I posted this awhile ago over on the Blizzard Force forums, but never here. Figured some one might be interested in this. For those that don't know, a screen used snowtrooper helmet was sold on auction for $225,000. I certainly wish I knew who owns it now and pray that it's not siting a box somewhere never to see the light of day again!

I wasn't actually trying to compare it, but was really just looking through some ESB promo pics. I came across the one black and white picture depicting the Wampa grabbing the snowtrooper and I was actually kinda surprised how "familiar" the helmet in the picture appeared. I have used the Auction helmet as a viable reference source for comparison given the fact that the images available are very very hi-resolution, yielding a better, clearer reference source compared to the MoM helmet.

My analysis gave me the impression that the auction helmet is or more than likely the same exact helmet used in the promo pic, and here's why:

Image in question

BU9iQro.jpg

Auction helmet:

WMdM7CH.jpg

Now here's my comparison with the Auction helmet:

sYOlljk.png

My brief summary of the annotations which are circled, I fully believe these details to match.

The biggest giveaway for me is the "splotch" on the upper-brim just above the "nose" of the helmet. It's present clearly on the black and white photo. This splotch is also present on the auction helmet, albeit a bit faded from age. See the next image of the auction helmet below for a better view of said "splotch."

The auction helmet from a different direction (VERY large image, which is why it's a direct link)

http://i.imgur.com/omOzNkg.jpg

The second "giveaway" is the helmet's appearance. If you look at both the un-annottated pics of the auction and the black and white photo, you will see that the center-line where the nose/brim are appears almost "bent" inwards. think of how a sheet a paper looks if you fold it and then open it up. That's how this helmet appears. Because of this "bend" in the helmet's dome, the goggles/eyes don't sit as close to the inside of the dome, and that's also apparent by the shadowing where these gaps fall. These shadowed spots also fall in the same place between both images.

The rest of the annotations are small similarities. The separation of the cowl at the nose, the small chip on the right side of the hard-shroud and the additional weathering on the upper-right part of the dome matches the location as well.

The last annotation being the cut of the cowl. Not all the helmet's cowls were cut this way, with a clean contoured curve over the shoulders. The black and white photo appears to have this same style cut as well, and does not have the sharp corners or even flare out like the rest of the helmets do.

I'll also add this picture of the same helmet, revealing that at least the cowl that covers the face has two layers of vinyl material

JfsIYFS.png

Again, this is my analysis. I do imagery analysis as part of one of my jobs so I wouldn't make this call unless I wasn't sure enough about it.

Thoughts?

-TC

Last edited:
Old thread but decided to revisit this. I had thought I may have been wrong, but eh, found a clearer pic and I think this distinct marking on the side is a good end-all for it.

wampa attack auction helmet2.jpg

Too bad we'll probably never see this auctioned helmet ever again...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back