For anyone who wants to make a Red Hood costume

Red joker

The inspiration- image.jpg
so here are the pieces and prices- image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Total price = $639.85
most accurate costume for anyone who wants to spend that much

A head would never fit in a 4.5x6 dome. There are also much cheaper places to get pre-tied black bow ties, pocket squares, shoes, and possibly suits.

I looked on Asian websites. A suit will need fitted anyway so it might need work whether you spend $60 or $600. The lapel type is called a shawl lapel, and because of the shape, you can buy a solid color jacket and add metallic fabric on top of the lapel.

There are also different variations to this classic suit. There is, of course, the very first appearance (that happens to have a double-breasted tuxedo jacket with a shawl lapel - I've only ever seen them with peak lapels, but I'm sure they exist), which was also used for the Batman '66 comics, albeit with purple gloves instead of white, and purple spats...
Red_Hood_Batman_'66_001.jpg
There's also the variant seen in "The Killing Joke", with a pleated shirt instead of a plain front, and is also single breasted instead of double breasted...
tumblr_inline_mt25p12yaB1qz4rgp.jpg
The "Injustice: Gods Among Us" variant, with a mini-check grey/black suit with a purple waistcoat, black bowtie with white dots, white pinstripe shirt and purple gloves...
Joker-red.jpg
There's the variant seen in "Batman: Arkham Origins", which just had the dome and cape over his usual costume...
jocz-batman-arkham-origins-joker-redhood.jpg
And then there's the variants seen in the recent New 52 storyline "Zero Year", which featured the Red Hood in a cape-less dome, donning a black suit jacket, tie, trousers, white shirt and gloves...
red-hood-gang.jpg
And in the finale donning a black tailcoat, grey waistcoat, white shirt (pleated with wing collar), black bowtie, white socks and black shoes, with the cape draped around his shoulders (but not attached to the helmet as in previous interpretations), with a hood.
Batman-24-Red-Hood.jpg
batman24-2ybuq3.jpg
I'm sure there are more, but this is what I could come up with :)

Last edited:
The easiest is probably zero year, but I think the classic shawl lapel tuxedo is what I'm going for. I made a post about making a Joker costume recently. There I stated I'm making a fan film, with a mixed take on Joker's origin. I might mix the variants. I want something that looks like a gangster suit that still looks cool without the hood and cape. If anyone wants to know my idea for his origin, ask. I'll get back to you guys with my idea for the design

My design formula:
black shoes-white spats
very dark purple pants
very dark purple tail coated double breasted shawl lapel jacket----black lapel-----white pocket square or white flower
not so dark purple vest
White pinstriped shirt
black bow tie
white gloves
red mask
red dome helmet
red cape

he has 2 masks in my version because he is just a member of a gang, (who's members all have a code name that is a color, so joker is "red") so he has a basic red mask. The leader is captured, (invertinly by him) so he becomes the leader and wears the cape and new dome helmet.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back