The Sweet Agony Of Cinemaquettes...

Alan Cross

Sr Member
You know... I bought their Terminator Endoskeleton and I absolutely love it. And I want to get their Indiana Jones figure... but, holy ***** mother of God... I'm having serious second thoughts. For example: Their sculpt of Aragorn is just creepy looking. Do they really expect to charge me $1500 for a sculpt that only REMOTELY looks like the actor? $1500???...???

And Indiana Jones looks more like a convict than Harrison Ford. Does anyone else plan on buying these? Am I over-reacting?

Take a look at: http://www.cinemaquette.com/cgi-bin/cinemaquette/index.html
Alan

No your not over reacting. I too think that Indy looks like he wants to make me his b.#@h. Aragon's forehead is HUGE....

If I were Vigo Mortensen, I would sue for defamation, or deformation, or anything I could think of to keep that from being released. That's an awful sculpt :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Mar 29 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]1451325[/snapback]</div>
And Jack looks like he wants to bust a cap in me for rollin' through his barrio homes...
[/b]
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's his hair line is right. I think if they added a little bit of hair to the center and dropped it down a little more , it would keep his forehead from looking like a movie screen...

Not, to play Devil's Advocate here, but personally, I think the Aragorn is pretty dead on. It just looks so weird in the photos because the hair is completely brushed back (as opposed to being in his face during 99% of the movie. However, i think the hairline might be just a ahir too high (pun intended), but if you restyle the hair to a screen accurate doo, you won't even notice. But what really throwsit off is that you can't see his eyebrows. They either forgot or didn't have time to paint/punch them on the prototype model before photography. It happens sometimes.

Regardless, I'm not paying $1500 for a 24 inch tall resin and silicone statue of anyone........unless it's an anatomically correct Arwen.

Yeah, I agree, if they added Aragorn's eyebrows and hung his hair down it would make a HUGE difference. It's just weird to me how some character likenesses end up so far off the mark -- especially when the resources and talent are supposedly there. For $1500, I'm assuming no expense should be spared. But even with the changes mentioned above, I'm still not sure I'd go for the Aragorn sculpt.

On the other hand, MacFarlane Toys released an action figure of Samuel L. Jackson as Shaft (this was a few years back). The likeness of Samuel Jackson was DEAD ON. And that figure was tiny and cost, what, seven dollars?

Seven dollars. And they got it right.

And I'll say it again, the Cinemaquette's Terminator Endoskeleton is right on the money. It's REALLY good. And when I saw the Indiana Jones figure at San Diego Comicon, I thought they did a great job and really nailed the pose, the details, the clothes, the hat, it was superlative work. It just didn't look like Harrison Ford. I hope it wasn't the final sculpt. I hope it was just a work in progress. Because I really want to buy the Indiana Jones figure... if it actually LOOKS like Indiana Jones.

Jack looks decent, but the other two....was the sculptor doing this with a blindfold? Not terrible sculpts of people. Just terrible sculpts of the people that they're supposed to be. No way that I would ever recognize that face as Harrison Ford. Viggo's...a passing resemblance only. There sure isn't $1500.00 worth of likeness there.

Let me make a friendly reminder that to "normal folks" its probably a perfect likeness...

But after all the busts and sculpts weve seen here... Howard, wampa, JRX etc. etc.

Were kinda spoiled.

But yeah harrison and viggo both look a wee bit psycho.

Point taken. To normal folks, it's a generic likeness... it's close enough... it works. Then again, normal folks would then ask you: "So how much did you pay for that? Fifty bucks?" And then when you tell them what it really costs, they'd give you one of those "I've lost all respect for you as a human being" looks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Mar 29 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]1451468[/snapback]</div>
Let me make a friendly reminder that to "normal folks" its probably a perfect likeness...

But after all the busts and sculpts weve seen here... Howard, wampa, JRX etc. etc.

Were kinda spoiled.

But yeah harrison and viggo both look a wee bit psycho.
[/b]

Yeah, but as stated above...normal folks aren't the ones these pieces are aimed at. Normal folks don't pay $1500.00 for what they see as an action figure.

I've seen better, more accurate likenesses on $10.00 figures. For this kind of price, you should have what looks like nothing less than a shrunken version of the real actors. There should be no "looks good enough" mentality at this price. There should only be..."Holy @#$%.. That's Viggo Mortensen and Harrison Ford."
I can't imagine any sane (by hardcore collector standards) collector shelling out those kinds of bucks for that kind of likeness.

$1500.00??
Fifteen hundred dollars?
One thousand, five hundred dollars?

Are they made of platinum? :confused

And no, it's not a good likeness of Viggo. It's a good likeness of Josh Lucas though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superjedi @ Mar 29 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1451513[/snapback]</div>
$1500.00??
Fifteen hundred dollars?
One thousand, five hundred dollars?

Are they made of platinum? :confused

And no, it's not a good likeness of Viggo. It's a good likeness of Josh Lucas though.
[/b]

:lol Good stuff.

Yeah....$1500.00 for a doll that doesn't do naughty things is friggin' insane. :lol But, it does come with hand punched hair.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superjedi @ Mar 29 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]1451513[/snapback]</div>
[/b]
I was thinking it looked more like William Sanderson... :rolleyes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mechamaniac @ Mar 29 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]1451325[/snapback]</div>
And Jack looks like he wants to bust a cap in me for rollin' through his barrio homes...
[/b]

Hahaha - not bad. I actually think Jack looks pretty good, although I don't see any dreadlocks...maybe that's what throws it off?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back