1:1 Wall-e Build

Thank you guys,
I got some good progress done on Wall-e over the last 2 weeks. So first was to get those pesky wheels all built. For this I turned the wheels up on the lathe, getting the basic style and shape. Im really running out of time so the wheels and bearings are not going to be that accurate. So this is all done using green chemi wood, with a mix of acrylic laser cut pieces.

This was done for all three types of wheels, with two styles then being vac formed in styrene, trimmed, sanded and primed.

Here they are next to Wall-e for a size reference. Ive also molded the smaller wheels so as to cast in resin as these will bear the weight of the tracks once everything is all built and assembled. But in the mean time ive been waiting for resin to arrive, so I decided to get some paint on him. First was to glue on some texture using sand to give that heavy rust look, I tried to get it vaguely accurate to what is seen on screen. But yet again time is not on my side.

Once all the glue and sand had dried, I then went and gave the main body a coat of white to help when painting the yellow. The yellow I then used was an automotive grade mustard colour.

I then added various shades with orange and other yellows, but then spent most of the day hand painting all the rust. This is the first colour of three im putting down, and will then be hitting it with black and greys to get the grubby look of him. Once thats done I will paint up the main colours of his trim and solar display.

Hoping to get the box all painted by Monday, and maybe get started on casting the tracks if my resin arrives. Only two weeks left on this build so things are getting really really tight. Hope you guys like him, again any help or crit please feel free to give it, could use the help.

Lewis

Amazing work ! Simply love the whole project. :thumbsup

I think you do one of the best Boba Fett paint jobs so I can't wait to see how this guy will look once finished.
I hope you will be updating soon with new pictures.

Thank you very much guys, I have had a few people now show interest in kits. So I may look into the feasibility of moulding him up and doing a very small one off run, but it would be costly.

So the last week has been a crazy blur trying to get him all done for the project hand in. So I carried on with the painting, getting his arms all masked out ready for the stripes, as well as the body for the black trim and silver side pieces.

With all of the main colours blocked out, I then set about working on the tracks. I casted then up in black polyurethane resin, 66 in all so 33 a side. These were then all pinned together to allow movement and to wrap around the wheels.

These were then sprayed black along with the wheels to give a nice matt even coat,

And here they are lined up either side of wall-e. They were weathered down with silver and brown paint to simulate all the miles he travels. I also painted up his head and other details, while his arms and hands are yet to be weathered in these shots.

And these are not the best photos, but here he is all set out on my desk ready for the hand in. The arms have been weathered, and his inner eye pieces installed.

He is not 100% accurate by any means, I had to cut corners on the design as well as the paint job as only had just under 16 weeks to build this guy. He is missing the bumpers on the front, as well as a few other details. Once everything has been marked and I can take him home, im going to re-do some details, add the bits that are missing and apply some better paint finishes and touches. So glad it is all over, Thank you guys for following the build, Like i said I may do a small run if people are genuinely interested, just be prepared though that it wont be cheap.

Lewis

Love it mate! As i said in an earlier post, your teachers should be wrapped with this guy. I'm sure he was alot of hard work, and this can be seen in how well he turned out in a limited time frame. Let us know (if you want to) what marks you get for this project!

Well the marks came in for this guys, I just missed out on a first with him, but it means im graduating university with a very good grade, so im very happy over all. Thanks you guys for showing interest in the project. Ive just come back from exhibiting him in London, here is a little shot of the set up with some dramatic lighting;

So I know there was some interest in me doing the odd kit of him, but im hoping to get straight back into the film industry so wont have the time or space to be able to offer that. So Im putting the entire piece up for sale, here is the sale thread, it explains the status of Wall-e and what needs to be done to get him fully finished;

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240542

If you guys need anymore info or pictures feel free to ask,
Again thank you for following the build, I never knew it was so hard to make a box :p

Lewis

I hope this isn't considered necroposting, but what major, or concentration, were you at your school?

Cause I wanna have a class where I can build a Wall-e...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back