Bandai release schedule

In my opinion the old guard designed "characters" when they did those original designs. That's the big difference to the new films, they are well done but very generic and lacks that character that the AT's, TIE's and all the other ships had. I mean the Falcon was Lucas vision of a Sci-Fi hamburger...the more outrageous the vision the cooler and different stuff will look in the end. Another one is the Slave1...no one would dare to make something like that today...to strange and ugly :).

But in all fairness the "new" gen of Designers are extremely skilled in Photoshop and Maya or what have you but way to streamlined...maybe it's also down to timelines the guys have to fight with or the Management that don't have the balls, I see that every day at work, Designer dreams being put down due to Marketing and cost downs :) .

Many of the original OT designs were much more streamlined and stylized than what ended up in the films. I don't know if the designs were revised or the nature of kit bashing and costume building with a low budget forced the design changes. It could be that what we ended up with wasn't what they envisioned the designs being.

Now the final design can be whatever they want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I would love to see kits of the Rogue One shuttles--it's interesting because apparently Disney is disappointed in Rogue One and in its toy sales. And my son was bored with it. They're in a weird position now where they are marketing specifically to adult Star Wars fans, whereas the original movies were aimed at 12-year-olds specifically (according to Lucas) and created a true toy merchandising empire. The sequels involving the Skywalker family seem to have a bit more kid appeal than something like Rogue One, but I agree the ship design aesthetic so far seems clunky.

But the design team isn't looking at the process mcquarrie, Johnston, and Lucas followed.

They are just looking at the unused concept art.

I was going through the rogue one concept art book and I couldn't believe how many ship concepts were simply kitbashed from OT designs.

Why, as a designer would you even go there? Even considering it is bad process

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have that book too and yes! Its a huge question mark that I think we will never know. IMO, the most beautiful thing to grace the screen in R1 was the T65, OT ships and KOTOR's (updated) Hammerhead which I am very thankful for. But, you, me and other like minded fans can only feel the pain of the missed opportunities. Discussing it is fun because now I know I am not the only one. Don't get me started on their weapon designs in TFA. LOL Again, I hope the Russian Podracers and new Awing will be nice once there are clearer pics of it.

I think that even if Doug Chiang is in this forum reading this. I doubt our complains will go anywhere because there seems to have as much people who love everything new in the movies to those of us who don't. I hope I am so wrong here. And in the end, if their boss like their designs and the movies and toys rake them a lot of dough. That's what count for them. Ultimately and sadly, I think we can only accept or not come what may. I read in Twitter someone suggested Joe Johnston be drafted back to design for the new movies in which Joe himself Like that post. Maybe that is saying something?

I know I will be buying more Bandai's OT kits because I don't want to waste time and money modifying those old MPC kits like the ATAT, Speeder Bike. I only wish Bandai make larger kits, that's all but their stuff is above and beyond anything that came before. I wish I didn't buy so many of the FM 1/48 X-Wing. I also hope Bandai will offer none mechanised 1/48 X-Wing soon.

I would love to see kits of the Rogue One shuttles--it's interesting because apparently Disney is disappointed in Rogue One and in its toy sales. And my son was bored with it. They're in a weird position now where they are marketing specifically to adult Star Wars fans, whereas the original movies were aimed at 12-year-olds specifically (according to Lucas) and created a true toy merchandising empire. The sequels involving the Skywalker family seem to have a bit more kid appeal than something like Rogue One, but I agree the ship design aesthetic so far seems clunky.
Totally. The toys are awful. They all seem to be "activity based" (like shooting nerf darts) and not imagination based (making up your own adventures) Where are the playsets?

I'm not sure if I said it in this thread or not but maybe the fact that Lucas kept toys in mind when he worked through designs is what made them so great. He knew that a good "vroom" factor was essential

Totally. The toys are awful. They all seem to be "activity based" (like shooting nerf darts) and not imagination based (making up your own adventures) Where are the playsets?

You should see what's going on on Jeditemplearchives. Since Disney has taken over the franchise the whole toy line by Hasbro is full of missed opportunities, bad distribution and odd characters choices. The RO lines were significantly better compared to the TFA lines but still - lots of wasted plastic. For example: an undersized electronic AT-ACT for about 359 $ MRSP. Who's gonna buy that for their kid(s)? No wonder why the things pegwarm (if they show up).

You should see what's going on on Jeditemplearchives. Since Disney has taken over the franchise the whole toy line by Hasbro is full of missed opportunities, bad distribution and odd characters choices. The RO lines were significantly better compared to the TFA lines but still - lots of wasted plastic. For example: an undersized electronic AT-ACT for about 359 $ MRSP. Who's gonna buy that for their kid(s)? No wonder why the things pegwarm (if they show up).
Oh totally. Don't they have some sort of stupid smartphone gimmick?

And that TFA falcon was the worst version ever. Give me the original Kenner version over that, anyday.

Well maybe if Disney didnt sell such utter rubbish on their website i might have bought something from them. The film was a success though, One Billion, and the DVD's just come out too! People will still be watching these films in 100 years!

View attachment 721481

Are they considering a 1/48 T/70 ? A bigger AT-ST or the other variant? The shuttle needs to happen and BIG! As does a 1/72 Falcon, 1/48 AT-AT and 1/1700 Star Destroyer please!

Bluefin's stand looked cool on a video i just watched, very well presented :thumbsup

Don't get me started on their weapon designs in TFA. LOL Again, I hope the Russian Podracers and new Awing will be nice once there are clearer pics of it.

I really like Reys pistol and the way it fires, Finns Rifle however is THE worst, most lame gun ever imagined, it looks like hes going to pipe icing on fairycakes with it :facepalm

Some cool High res upclose pics and ideas of the podracer in this article here: http://jalopnik.com/the-last-jedi-trailer-adds-weird-new-vehicles-to-the-st-1794334123

w8gwz55zhi7wekd8ggpq.png

Last edited:
a 12" r2-d2 with light (and sound)????? how cool, take my money bandai.

and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop teasing us with this big muttha****in' isd....just release it and take my money!
Was that a model or was that die cast?

Was that a model or was that die cast?

ya, now i'm thinkin that bandai could make another big "showroom model" of a figure.....but man, i want these big r2 with led's (maybe i get more of these and paint the blue parts in a different color!)

I really like Reys pistol and the way it fires, Finns Rifle however is THE worst, most lame gun ever imagined, it looks like hes going to pipe icing on fairycakes with it :facepalm

Some cool High res upclose pics and ideas of the podracer in this article here: http://jalopnik.com/the-last-jedi-trailer-adds-weird-new-vehicles-to-the-st-1794334123

View attachment 721487

The pod racer things are going up against what they are calling "new gorilla walkers" in this article. http://makingstarwars.net/2017/04/y...-the-last-jedis-planet-crait-with-star-tours/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back