Bandai release schedule

But you can't see what size the pilot was in the film,....only in the promo pics & AMT model box art

J

IMG_0086.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 201
It's also interesting that the model that Wesley Seeds was working on above doesn't have that red panel that the promo images & that still above has....the one with the red panel has different weathering & big pilot

How many studio models were made for the film?

J

Am I seeing things or is there not enough room for the larger pilot in that studio model? The seat is right over the deepest part of the scoop on the ventral surface of the fighter. Given the overall height of the fuselage, if you imagine the pilot superimposed on the end-view photo with the helmet nearly touching the inside of the canopy, and the shoulders at the fuselage/lower edge of canopy, they would have to be sitting directly on the roof of the ventral scoop... It seems like the other studio model with the smaller pilot is more plausible/realistic (putting aside the official databank and the other A-wing in Rebels that also support this).

Did they just add the big pilot (puppet?) to one of the models for the close-up crash shot?

Did they just add the big pilot (puppet?) to one of the models for the close-up crash shot?

If I had to guess, they created the bigger pilot for close up shots in one of the hero models because it had mechanical head-turn capabilities like the Twin Pod Cloud Car from Empire. They may have never filmed some of the storyboarded battle shots that may have originally depicted the need for that, or they may have simply built one to have on-hand.

The scale however does not match up when A-wings are next to B-wings in Jedi. Given the B-wing pilot scale and canopy - the A-wing is much larger in scale with that than the 1/48 pilot would indicate. I think Bandai got the scale correct - but that is not to say the the ILM hero model does not look okay with the larger pilot either. I guess it would have to be preference of the builder at this point - whether or not to match the ILM hero model or be true to scale with the other 1/72 Rebel ships.

If I had to guess, they created the bigger pilot for close up shots in one of the hero models because it had mechanical head-turn capabilities like the Twin Pod Cloud Car from Empire. They may have never filmed some of the storyboarded battle shots that may have originally depicted the need for that, or they may have simply built one to have on-hand.

The scale however does not match up when A-wings are next to B-wings in Jedi. Given the B-wing pilot scale and canopy - the A-wing is much larger in scale with that than the 1/48 pilot would indicate. I think Bandai got the scale correct - but that is not to say the the ILM hero model does not look okay with the larger pilot either. I guess it would have to be preference of the builder at this point - whether or not to match the ILM hero model or be true to scale with the other 1/72 Rebel ships.

That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Bandai's scale is accurate to 1/72 for the measurement they are using. It's just a matter of what side of the coin you fall on as to whether those numbers are accurate.

In the end it's the choice of whether you want the A-wing to look like a replica of the studio model or do you want an A-wing that is sized according to the "official" real world size.

Your preference determines whether it is closer to a 1/72 scale model or closer to 1/48 scale model

How about some news:

Snowspeeder 1/48 and 1/144 combo kit in May:

http://www.1999.co.jp/10456971

Mini Jedi Starfighter with removable Hyperdrive Docking ring in June:

http://www.1999.co.jp/10456976

Jango Slave 1 in 1/144 in June:

http://www.1999.co.jp/10456973

Hat tip to Chiangkaishecky

I have mixed feeling. It's cool to see some prequel stuff, but they seem to be trending more and more to the 1/144 stuff

I'd love to see any of those on 1/72

So was the "big"announcement that was alluded to just the 1/2 scale BB-8. If so that's kind of disappointing

That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Bandai's scale is accurate to 1/72 for the measurement they are using. It's just a matter of what side of the coin you fall on as to whether those numbers are accurate.

In the end it's the choice of whether you want the A-wing to look like a replica of the studio model or do you want an A-wing that is sized according to the "official" real world size.

Your preference determines whether it is closer to a 1/72 scale model or closer to 1/48 scale model

If there were two studio models as demonstrated a few posts back, did only one get the big pilot, leaving the other with a smaller pilot as on the Bandai? Or were both fitted with puppet pilots?

Hm. Usually I'm pretty excited by news of new kits, but this latest leaves me feeling pretty "meh".

* Jedi Starfighter - not generally interested in PT vehicles (unless it's the Radiant VII. A 1:144th Radiant VII would be amazeballs. And enormous. They'd be more likely to do 1:350th, but I can dream)
* Snowspeeder 2-pack. I'd guess they've seen a very positive response to the X-Wing 2-pack, so this makes sense, but it's basically a re-pack of 2 existing models.
* Jango Slave-1. Really? It's the same as the existing Slave 1 with tiny differences. I guess they need it to go alongside the Jedi starfighter, but....

I was hoping for a Vehicle Model A-Wing 2-pack :)

Hm. Usually I'm pretty excited by news of new kits, but this latest leaves me feeling pretty "meh".

* Jedi Starfighter - not generally interested in PT vehicles (unless it's the Radiant VII. A 1:144th Radiant VII would be amazeballs. And enormous. They'd be more likely to do 1:350th, but I can dream)
* Snowspeeder 2-pack. I'd guess they've seen a very positive response to the X-Wing 2-pack, so this makes sense, but it's basically a re-pack of 2 existing models.
* Jango Slave-1. Really? It's the same as the existing Slave 1 with tiny differences. I guess they need it to go alongside the Jedi starfighter, but....

I was hoping for a Vehicle Model A-Wing 2-pack :)

What he said

C'mon Bandai,.....give us the big bird

J

If there were two studio models as demonstrated a few posts back, did only one get the big pilot, leaving the other with a smaller pilot as on the Bandai? Or were both fitted with puppet pilots?
I couldn't find definitive proof either way.

Sadly the best people to answer that are no longer here :(

I did come across some pics of the damaged tail fin that could be swapped in or out

The Jedi Starfighter is kind of nice. Not really fussed about a variation on Slave 1. I'd rather have a 1/144 Pod Racer twin pack if we're talking PT. That'd be a fun kit! But lots of big hitters still missing. Correllian Corvette, Lambda class shuttle, etc... They must be on the cards.

I have mixed feeling. It's cool to see some prequel stuff, but they seem to be trending more and more to the 1/144 stuff

I'd love to see any of those on 1/72

So was the "big"announcement that was alluded to just the 1/2 scale BB-8. If so that's kind of disappointing

The Bluefin rep (Derringer?) hopes to be able to bring a prototype to Celebration this year, so I think not. Or did I dream that?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back