Bandai release schedule

Hm interesting. I have many of those oils - but not the white. I think I'll pick up one of those new micro Falcons and experiment.

I'm surprised at so many clear coats though. Even when misting, doesn't this build up a thick layer?

Hm interesting. I have many of those oils - but not the white. I think I'll pick up one of those new micro Falcons and experiment.

I'm surprised at so many clear coats though. Even when misting, doesn't this build up a thick layer?
Not at all. Like I say, it's just a misting.

But it keeps the layers separate. (and I get this from doing scenic art) the layers prevent it from getting muddy. Like putting glass between each layer.

If I we to do this again, it would actually use a glossy top coated before and after the oil coat. And then flat for every other coat

Great stuff here.

One of my tips, and this works because I use Tamiya acrylic. For paint chipping: after airbrushing Tamiya, it's still soft for a while. Use a piece of chiseled sprue to chip away any paint chips you want for weathering.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Astro, I'm good at scratch building and modifying, but suck at painting. It's my Achilles Heel. I'm definitely going to try out your suggestions and see if i can up my game.

I think mine came out good too. No airbrush, just Tamiya paints, oils and pastels.
v4vzp3.jpg

2wofuyw.jpg

Astro, I'm good at scratch building and modifying, but suck at painting. It's my Achilles Heel. I'm definitely going to try out your suggestions and see if i can up my game.

It's amazing at our different skills. A fellow forumite p.m.'d me about my techniques because he was so disappointed with his skills. But when I looked up his build work I was mesmerized by his scratch building. Possibly the best I've seen. But painting threw him off

Interesting re: the topcoat.

What product did you use for that?
I told the people at the shop what I wanted to do and they gave me Mr. hobby Mr. Super clear flat.

I really don't know much about this stuff. That's next level stuff. And I'm not sure what one does with Future

Cool. I'm going to try the Tamiya clear matt stuff I think.

Thanks for the details as to your paint job!

Saw Rogue One last night. Definitely will be picking up K-2SO. He's great in the movie. The U-Wing also looks cool as hell, so I'm looking forward to Bandai's version.

The X-wing's rear engines are some of the best examples I've seen. There are instructions out there (I can't peg the kit, but I know I've seen it somewhere) that call for painting the rear sections silver or some metallic color, which to me just looks stoopit. I like something like a color that is like the overall ship color but with a metallic hue to it, and that's what I see here. I've seen it before, but yours is impressive. With the X-wing, this is what I strive for and have never achieved.
Bravo,
Mike Todd

K-2SO is definitely on the list. I'm also ordering the two-pack with BB8 to arrive after Christmas. I'll have a second R2 but I might make him into the ROTJ Death Star astromech.

I'm also considering collecting some of these troopers and displaying them in film order. Fingers crossed for some ESB snow troopers!

The U-Wing is a very odd design. In the trailers an stills of the model it wasn't absolutely not atractive for me, but if you see this ship in action on screen it leaves a very different and really cool impression... Seems like only working in action... but if it moves, it looks great!

Funny thing, that the Tie-Striker isn't as present in the film as the model-release implied. There are other new Tie-/Transporter designs with much more screentime...

The X-wing's rear engines are some of the best examples I've seen. There are instructions out there (I can't peg the kit, but I know I've seen it somewhere) that call for painting the rear sections silver or some metallic color, which to me just looks stoopit. I like something like a color that is like the overall ship color but with a metallic hue to it, and that's what I see here. I've seen it before, but yours is impressive. With the X-wing, this is what I strive for and have never achieved.
Bravo,
Mike Todd
Thanks!

I think the glossiness comes from the oils. They were a lot heavier here than anywhere else on the model. And the Tamiya pigments. The ones with the little makeup brush. Those have a bit of waxiness to them.

And I also did a flat topcoat after each layer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm also ordering the two-pack with BB8 to arrive after Christmas. I'll have a second R2 but I might make him into the ROTJ Death Star astromech.

I have the same situation. I was either going to turn R2 into R4-P17, Obi-Wan's ill-fated fighter buddy, or scratch build the rockets to put him into flying mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing, that the Tie-Striker isn't as present in the film as the model-release implied. There are other new Tie-/Transporter designs with much more screentime...

I thought the same thing. I only noticed the Striker maybe three times, which is fine. I can imagine it as a TIE variant that was tried but never had the versatility or functions to be widely mass produced by the Empire.

Yeah, I was very disappointed that they didn't really showcase the TIE Strikers. And I wish Bandai would've released the new US 2-packs in Blue Squadron's colors already.

I liked how restrained they were with the striker. And there was also a cool variant for the death troopers

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, noticed the striker variant for the Death Trooper deployment. I actually like that one better than the standard Chipolte burrito Striker.

But I'll say this: If Bandai makes a Death Trooper TIE lander thingy before they release a TIE Bomber it will be a crime.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back