Bandai release schedule

That said, there is something about the shape of the cockpit area that strikes me as being off about the FM 1/48 X-wing. :(

For whatever reason, FM didn't extend the "dashboard" section forward to the end of the cockpit opening. On mine I just painted that area black and you don't notice it, but it's weird nonetheless.

I'm curious about the fine molds version. I'd love to do one of these with more subtle panel lines

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Awesome job so far.

That said, there is something about the shape of the cockpit area that strikes me as being off about the FM 1/48 X-wing. :(

Probably because the 1/48 version ( and I believe the 1/72 as well) were based mainly off the large model made for ESB (ROTJ?)

I'm curious about the fine molds version. I'd love to do one of these with more subtle panel lines

I prefer the panel lines on the Fine Molds stuff vs the Bandai stuff as well

If Bandai's panel lines are a bit thick for you, I have a solution, but its a bit of work.

First, prime the pieces as you normally would. Then use a pinpoint syringe applicator from Deluxe Materials to fill the panel lines with their Perfect Plastic Putty. Let it set for a few hours, maybe overnight.

Once it's dry, wet a cotton swab, and brush the cotton swab over the putty perpendicular to the panel line. This will wipe away the excess putty until your swab is flush with the surface. This will leave the panel line 80-90% filled, but still visible. Prime again over this, and your panels lines will still be there, but much more subtle.

If Bandai's panel lines are a bit thick for you, I have a solution, but its a bit of work.

First, prime the pieces as you normally would. Then use a pinpoint syringe applicator from Deluxe Materials to fill the panel lines with their Perfect Plastic Putty. Let it set for a few hours, maybe overnight.

Once it's dry, wet a cotton swab, and brush the cotton swab over the putty perpendicular to the panel line. This will wipe away the excess putty until your swab is flush with the surface. This will leave the panel line 80-90% filled, but still visible. Prime again over this, and your panels lines will still be there, but much more subtle.

here's my bandai 1/48. you tell me. are they too thick? I can't tell any more. I've looked at it too much

20150727_180125_zps7ls83upg.png

bandai%20x-wing%20pro%20shot_zps17xvdfl7.png

20150727_180141_zps2qdvigrh.png

the 1/48 looks better

Bandai's 1/72 x's on the other hand are very noticeable. It's not really the depth, but the thickness of the lines. Also it doesn't help having the different pieces needed so they can mold the plastic in color creating an even larger looking gap. It's the same thing with their 1/72 Yamato fighter kits.

Actually the panel lines and thickness of some other parts gets worse the smaller you go. I know some of is overly exaggerated so you can see the details, but it winds making it look odd, especially if you use a dark wash. Compare the Panels lines for example on the 1/500 Yukikaze vs the 1/1000 one from Bandai. The 1/500 one from Fine Molds actually has finer panel lines and thinner fins than the Bandai 1/1000 one

Its the one knock I have against Bandai's otherwise stellar kits

The panel lines on the 1/48 X-wing aren't too bad at all. They might be slightly thick, but that's just nitpicking at that point. As said above, the 1/72 scale kits are really the ones where the panel lines were too thick. I was able to knock back the panel lines on my T-70, and it looked much better for it.

I'm not a fan of heavy panel lines. I notice that a lot o Japanese builders darken their panel lines. Both in preshading and with their washes.

I never touch them

I'm not a fan of heavy panel lines. I notice that a lot o Japanese builders darken their panel lines. Both in preshading and with their washes.

I never touch them

Exactly. No real vehicle has uniform black panel lines. Grunge gets into the panel lines from normal weathering, so as you weather the surface, enough will get into the panel lines to look natural. I've never liked heavy washes or heavy preshading. Looks so fake.

What's the method to get something to look like that? Black panel lining and airbrush?
Black basing is my preferred star wars method. Look it up on YouTube. I definitely ignore panel lines. If you build your wrathering layers up with a process, it will pay off.

If you darken you panel lines off the top, it will look exaggerated

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Black basing is my preferred star wars method. Look it up on YouTube. I definitely ignore panel lines. If you build your wrathering layers up with a process, it will pay off.

If you darken you panel lines off the top, it will look exaggerated

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'll check it out. Thanks

Funny, that's the exact process I use with the 1/72 kits, down to the putty. ha.

SB

I would love to see a close up pic of that...

These are the best photos I have on hand, so I apologize they're not super close-up. Have you built the 1/72 T-70? If so, you'll have noticed the massive gaps towards the mid/back on either side of the cockpit where the (originally blue) stripe continues towards the back. I filled those gaps, as well as a gap that occurred when you actually snap the fuselage together, just in front of canopy frame. Actually, I think it's the second panel line in front of the canopy frame. Can't really remember now.

IMG_9515.jpg

IMG_9516.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back