Bandai release schedule

I'm sorry, every time I see the gunship I see this.....

Attachments

• 6e9b342870685d4903b46e4a9e7f601d.jpg
    6e9b342870685d4903b46e4a9e7f601d.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 96
I'm having a hard time getting behind the new TIE Striker as well. I'm a sucker for TIE fighters and own multiple TIE model kits. I even like most of the various TIE variants I've seen over the years, either fan made, or expanded universe, etc. That said, this new one just doesn't do it for me. In the world of new TIE variants, I think they could have done a WAY better job. That said, I'll still have to buy and build this kit for my collection!

I'm also a little torn on the U-Wing. All in all I'm happy it appears to match the time period. It's not some crazy clone wars looking ship that appears out of place. It has a lot of X-Wing and Y-Wing queues and I'm hoping once I see it on screen I really love it - maybe when I see it whizzing around with the wings out. For now though, it also feels a little "ho hum" to me.

The video linked below has a very interesting video with Doug Chiang. I was happy to hear that they set out to make a new ship as iconic as the X-Wing and Falcon, at least they felt strongly about creating something very new and memorable (versus the different colored TIE fighters of TFA). It was shocking to see they had over 700 designs before arriving at the U-Wing design we've now seen. I've posted a few stills from the video that highlight some of the various designs they were considering when coming up with the U-Wing.

Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-19-05.png
Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-19-15.png
Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-19-23.png
Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-19-46.png
Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-19-56.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Invar, that design has Dave "I'm going to steal this design and put it in Rebels" Filoni written all over it. Just the kind of PT/OT hybrid design he likes.

Hey I give them credit for actually designing a new TIE fighter. TFA just added a couple of antennae, a gun, and painted the solar panels white. That's just lazy, especially when there are great EU TIE designs (TIE Avenger, rounded cockpit version, would have been perfect). I can't remember where I read it, but I read that the Strikers is also used to ferry cargo and passengers as well. So despite the name it's not just a fighter.

Hey I give them credit for actually designing a new TIE fighter. TFA just added a couple of antennae, a gun, and painted the solar panels white. That's just lazy, especially when there are great EU TIE designs (TIE Avenger, rounded cockpit version, would have been perfect). I can't remember where I read it, but I read that the Strikers is also used to ferry cargo and passengers as well. So despite the name it's not just a fighter.
Honestly, the most imaginative thing in tfa was the friggin bread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Honestly, the most imaginative thing in tfa was the friggin bread.

Word. But I don't blame the producers, I blame the fans. The fans wanted an OT-gasm. They wanted the Falcon, X-Wings, TIEs, and everything to look and feel like the OT. JJ is just shameless enough to give them exactly that. Looking at the "Art of" book and seeing all the concepts that were started and then discarded is painful. So many missed opportunities for the sake of fan pandering. Even now, fans still complain about how the PT designs didn't fit in with the right "look." I hate this kind of thinking -- that EVERY Star Wars ship has to have the same hull plate, guts on the outside designs. It's a big universe and Star Wars fans, I hate to say it, are very limited in their imaginations. It has to be THIS and not too much of THAT or else it's all WRONG. Ugh. For all his alleged sins, George at least tried to expand his universe with "a few new surprises." Disney Star Wars is just very expensive and repetitive fan fiction, IMHO.

Dude.

We need to form a club.

Word. But I don't blame the producers, I blame the fans. The fans wanted an OT-gasm. They wanted the Falcon, X-Wings, TIEs, and everything to look and feel like the OT. JJ is just shameless enough to give them exactly that. Looking at the "Art of" book and seeing all the concepts that were started and then discarded is painful. So many missed opportunities for the sake of fan pandering. Even now, fans still complain about how the PT designs didn't fit in with the right "look." I hate this kind of thinking -- that EVERY Star Wars ship has to have the same hull plate, guts on the outside designs. It's a big universe and Star Wars fans, I hate to say it, are very limited in their imaginations. It has to be THIS and not too much of THAT or else it's all WRONG. Ugh. For all his alleged sins, George at least tried to expand his universe with "a few new surprises." Disney Star Wars is just very expensive and repetitive fan fiction, IMHO.
TFA has taught me to love George Lucas. He was a man with imagination.

The one thing I've heard about JJ is that his dirty secret is that he is often stumped. He often asks the committee what they think he should do. That much is obvious. The movie felt very hasty and slapped together.

George may have had some bad ideas, but they were his and they were spectacular

I will compliment TFA and JJ for execution. It has a good pace and JJ has a gift for comedy that works. For most audiences, that's more than enough. I actually wish Disney had decided to make Rogue One first before making TFA. In Rogue One, they could've delivered the fan-service OT-gasm the prequel haters were demanding and free up Episode VII to tell a more original story. Instead, we got a story that basically wiped away the whole point of the OT (the Empire was defeated -- oh wait, it wasn't!) and just recycled.

Another thread,...same old subject

The aesthetics for TFA were to calm the cinema audience by giving them a OT feel,.....to pat them on the back & tell them that everything will be ok going down a familiar path, seeing similar vehicles,....Falcon=check,.....X-Wings=check,....TIE Fighters=check,.....Death Star=check,......Han, Luke & Leia=check,.......none of these things were in the Prequels

JJ did a fantastic job in the time that he was given,....re structuring the already started plot,.....giving us characters that actually have personalities

Non Star Wars fans actually went to see this film,....& are likely on board for future films

Ship design for TFA,.....yes a bit safe.....but if you understand why, maybe you will give their decisions a bit of slack

Now with new designs popping up in R1,....theres complaints

I can guarantee that new Star Wars WILL give us plenty of new craft, now that the audience feels secure,....& I can guarantee that there will be complaints

J

I can guarantee that new Star Wars WILL give us plenty of new craft, now that the audience feels secure,....& I can guarantee that there will be complaints.
J

My hope is we'll see the T-85 X-Wing in future episodes, because the T-70 as used by the Resistance had already been phased out by the Republic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Another thread,...same old subjectJ

I know you and I don't see eye to eye on this one, J, but you've been seeing me complaining about TFA for a year. I, on the other hand, have been listening to endless complaints about the PT and SEs for 20 years. So if I continue to complain about it for the next 18 years, you're still coming out ahead! ;-)

The aesthetics for TFA were to calm the cinema audience by giving them a OT feel,.....to pat them on the back & tell them that everything will be ok going down a familiar path, seeing similar vehicles,....Falcon=check,.....X-Wings=check,....TIE Fighters=check,.....Death Star=check,......Han, Luke & Leia=check,.......none of these things were in the PrequelsJ

I think this is exactly what I've suggested. Obviously, TFA was all about making fans happy no matter what. The only difference is that I think patting an audience the head and soothing fanboys' fragile emotions doesn't make good art. None of those things NEEDED to be in the PT. All those things are just about nostalgia, not telling an original story. I've seen the OT. I liked it. I don't need to see a remake. I prefer artists that take risks. Who push themselves and their audience, even if their efforts sometimes fail or if it makes the audience uncomfortable. The PT reflected the collapse of a "more civilized age." Design wise, the ship's SHOULDN'T look like the crappy/slapped together rebel ships. The Empire didn't exist. Yet, there was plenty of familiarity. Clonetroopers? Callouts to the TIE in the Jedi fighters? The ARC-170? Design wise, the PT makes WAY more sense than TFA.

JJ did a fantastic job in the time that he was given,....re structuring the already started plot,.....giving us characters that actually have personalitiesJ

You mean basically coping the plot of A New Hope? Making Luke a young woman. Resetting Han Solo to rogue smuggler, eliminating any character development he made in the OT. Rebooting Darth Vader/Anakin as a good kid who fell to the Dark Side. Been there, done that. Like I said, I give JJ props for execution. He made his characters feel jokey and energetic and very contemporary. And for many people that's more than enough.

Non Star Wars fans actually went to see this film,....& are likely on board for future filmsJ

For years, PT haters dismissed box office as any mark of quality (the PT made about the same money at the LOTR movies, domestically a little more combined), but now it's absolute proof. Yes, both TFA and Jurassic Park were huge hits for shamelessly remaking the original films. So nostalgia sells. That doesn't make either of those films original or honest.

I can guarantee that new Star Wars WILL give us plenty of new craft, now that the audience feels secure,....& I can guarantee that there will be complaints

J

At least we can agree that they had to waste an entire film making insecure fanboys feel validated. That's good business but cynical art. ;-)

But to the point, the PT is official Star Wars canon and it seems future films will be making more PT references and callouts. So I'd like to see Bandai embrace them more aggressively. Their clonetrooper and battle droid kits prove they can make those designs pretty damn cool.

I know you and I don't see eye to eye on this one, J, but you've been seeing me complaining about TFA for a year. I, on the other hand, have been listening to endless complaints about the PT and SEs for 20 years. So if I continue to complain about it for the next 18 years, you're still coming out ahead! ;-)

It's not as bad as all that,....The Prequels & the CW cartoon you can see as an entire package,....it's canon & done......& not really what Disney are interested in

I think you just need to wait till you can see what Disney have done when the ST package is done,.....tentative steps at the beginning,...soft reboots etc,.....

Creatively some of the designs in the PT were pretty cool,...I'd like to see Bandai making them

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back