Subscribe
    Jan 10, 2017, 10:40 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1976

edge10 said: View Post
    A 13" tall BB-8 is cool, but bring on the big ships please!
    Yeah, it's not high on my list. I liked R2 Mini-Me well enough, but my priority is ships too. I'm even happy with the smaller ships, like the 1/144 U-Wing, as long as the detail and proportions are there.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 11, 2017, 12:42 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1977

Just a reminder - Bandai is a company based in Japan, primarily focused on the Japanese market. Living space in Japan is tight, so it's in Bandai's best interests to produce smaller kits for their target consumer base. My guess is that the smaller 1/144 scale kits sell better than 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits in Japan for this reason, but I have no evidence to support that.

Think of it this way--Zvezda's Star Destroyer kit, at nearly 2' long, is impressive, but a Japanese modeler can put 10 Bandai kits in that same amount of shelf space.
    Jan 11, 2017, 1:34 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1978

It's as good of theory as any, but then again they are starting to make big troopers and a big BB-8. Maybe we'll get a big ship one of these days. I suspect the rationale for many of these decisions comes down nothing more than one or two people in positions of power who decide, "I think this would be cool. Do that." Why a big storm trooper? "My kid thought it would be a good idea and wants one." I've seen decisions made this way.
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 11, 2017, 1:37 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1979

Hi I've been lurking these boards and a few others for over a year, always forgetting to register. I'm affiliated with Bluefin, the company that Bandai uses to distribute the Star Wars products to U.S. retailers. I am not from Bandai Japan itself, but I am in constant communication and reporting with their departments on a daily basis. I am a model enthusiast though my subject material is often not dedicated to firm accuracy, but instead what new creative interpretations that could be inserted into that source material. More or less I'm a big airplane and sci-fi fan.

I just wanted to update on the following U.S. schedule that Disney/Lucas has authorized Bandai Japan to put into the U.S. thus far. These will be available at u.s. local hobby shops as well as online stores.

Dec 2016
    1/72 & 1/144 Red Squadron X-wing Starfighter Special Set

Jan 2017
    1/72 A-Wing
    1/72 Poe's X-Wing
    1/72 TIE Interceptor
    1/72 TIE Striker

Feb 2017
    1/144 U-Wing & Tie Striker
    1/72 X-wing
    1/72 TIE Fighter
    1/72 TIE Advanced X1
    1/48 Snowspeeder

Mar 2017
    1/144 NEW item that will be up for pre-order in about a week
    1/48 AT-ST
    1/72 Y-Wing

Will update this again after more information is confirmed.
    Last edited by Derringer; Jan 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: More information updated
    Jan 11, 2017, 2:35 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1980

Derringer said: View Post
    I can assure you there is a large item coming out in the summer months though.
    If it's either a big triangle shape or a weird hamburger shape, there will be great rejoicing! Thanks for sharing what you can and welcome!
  6. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jan 11, 2017, 6:54 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1981

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    Just a reminder - Bandai is a company based in Japan, primarily focused on the Japanese market. Living space in Japan is tight, so it's in Bandai's best interests to produce smaller kits for their target consumer base. My guess is that the smaller 1/144 scale kits sell better than 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits in Japan for this reason, but I have no evidence to support that.

Think of it this way--Zvezda's Star Destroyer kit, at nearly 2' long, is impressive, but a Japanese modeler can put 10 Bandai kits in that same amount of shelf space.
    They seem to mostly choose the scale of the ships to keep the footprint of the model fairly consistent. Larger ships get a smaller scale. Smaller ships get a larger scale. Most fighters are 1/72 except the snowspeeder because it is a smaller ship.

Unfortunately that probably means an AT-AT will be a smaller scale than 1/48 so it will be out of scale with the snowspeeder and AT-ST.

Even most of the large figures probably don't take up more shelf space than the 1/72 ships, but they are much taller.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Jan 11, 2017, 7:43 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1982

Mar 2017
    Let speculation on this one begin too...

Either Kylo or Krennic's shuttle perhaps?

There aren't that many I can think of that would make sense right now other than smaller versions of the 1:72 fighters.
    Jan 11, 2017, 7:49 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1983

Somerset said: View Post

There aren't that many I can think of that would make sense right now other than smaller versions of the 1:72 fighters.
    How about the dual classic TIE fighter set?
    Jan 11, 2017, 7:53 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1984

Somerset said: View Post

By my calculations, 1/144 would be a reasonable size for an AT-AT or an Imperial Shuttle.
  10. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:00 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1985

Hi I've been lurking these boards and a few others for over a year, always forgetting to register. I'm affiliated with Bluefin, the company that Bandai uses to distribute the Star Wars products to U.S. retailers. I am not from Bandai Japan itself, but I am in constant communication and reporting with their departments on a daily basis. I am a model enthusiast though my subject material is often not dedicated to firm accuracy, but instead what new creative interpretations that could be inserted into that source material. More or less I'm a big airplane and sci-fi fan.

I just wanted to update on the following U.S. schedule that Disney/Lucas has authorized Bandai Japan to put into the U.S. thus far. These will be available at u.s. local hobby shops as well as online stores.

Dec 2016
    1/72 & 1/144 Red Squadron X-wing Starfighter Special Set

Jan 2017
    1/72 A-Wing
    1/72 Poe's X-Wing
    1/72 TIE Interceptor
    1/72 TIE Striker

Feb 2017
    1/144 U-Wing & Tie Striker
    1/72 X-wing
    1/72 TIE Fighter
    1/72 TIE Advanced X1
    1/48 Snowspeeder

Mar 2017
    1/144 Millennium Falcon (The Force Awakens version)
    1/48 AT-ST
    1/72 Y-Wing

Will update this again after more information is confirmed. The reason it only goes to March is because that's when the fiscal year ends for Japanese companies. I can assure you there is a large item coming out in the summer months though. Hopefully Star Wars Celebration will allow us to bring the prototype of it to the U.S.
    Nice to hear from someone with official information.

I haven't seen the Bandai kits locally yet. Do you know what the MSRP is for some of these?

11. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:02 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1986

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    If it's either a big triangle shape or a weird hamburger shape, there will be great rejoicing! Thanks for sharing what you can and welcome!
    It could be the BB-8 unless that is considered to be a figure.

I would like a good ANH Death Star model.

From
    Northern Ireland
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:06 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1987

Automaton said: View Post
    By my calculations, 1/144 would be a reasonable size for an AT-AT or an Imperial Shuttle.
    Yep & the Shuttle would also tie in as a Rogue One craft also

Sounds promising

J
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:10 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1988

ggriffaw said: View Post

I'd love to see a bigger R2 with a one-piece dome. It would also be interesting if they started doing 1/144 dioramas. Yavin base or the Hoth trenches would be amazing.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:26 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1989

Yes BB8 is a character

....so Falcon.....perhaps??

J
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1990

A large Star Destroyer would make sense. It ties into Rogue One and the OT so should have current and long term sales interest.

16. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jan 11, 2017, 8:44 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1991

I'm curious what our forumites would prefer if we were to have a poll.
    Large falcon or large Star destroyer?

(And which version of each?)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:32 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1992

Hi I've been lurking these boards and a few others for over a year, always forgetting to register. I'm affiliated with Bluefin, the company that Bandai uses to distribute the Star Wars products to U.S. retailers...
    Thanks for posting that info and the schedule!

I remember part of the blurb mentioning stuff would be in Barnes and Noble, I've been periodically checking in the local store but haven't seen any of the kits yet. Not sure about local hobby shops since the "nearest" one is about a 50 minute drive from my house

Any plans on places like Michael's, AC Moore, Toys R Us, Hobby Lobby, Wal Mart, Target etc... to carry those kits? (we've got a plethora of those which I guess is why smaller mom and pop shops and places ilke Hobby Town USA are so scarce in my area) To some extent, they have all carried some of the Revell kits except AC Moore which doesn't have the Star Wars line, just military and car models
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Jan 11, 2017, 9:37 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1993

astroboy said: View Post

A 1/72 Falcon with an interior done with Bandai's attention to detail would be simply amazing. It would be a holy Grail kit
    Jan 11, 2017, 11:37 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1994

1/144 could be a B-Wing. It's a glaring gap in the line-up.
    Jan 11, 2017, 1:50 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1995

astroboy said: View Post

I'd go with large Star Destroyer since I spent years, money, and agony modifying the 1/72 FM Falcon. And Bandai's tease of their large SD is just amazeballs. That being said, if Bandai offered a 1/72 version of the ANH 5-Footer, all bets are off.

- - - Updated - - -

You could transform BB-8 lower ball into a Death Star. Just some paint and a super laser dish and Blammo -- Death Star.
    From
    San Francisco
    Jan 11, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1996

I'm really excited for new items in the 1/144th line. While I don't have a Japan sized space, I do have very limited space for display and I prefer to have everything in the same scale as much as possible - 1/144th makes an entire fleet a possibility for me, while I'll probably only build a handful of 1/72nd ships in actuality.

That said, I would totally jump on a 1/72 Bandai Falcon, due to the amount of detail and "extras" (like comprehensive lighting) you can easily pack into that size. But I'd wager that a Star Destroyer is more likely given the tease in their manufacturing video.
    Jan 11, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1997

I want a big AT-AT!!
    Jan 11, 2017, 5:01 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1998

Scarecrow Joe said: View Post
    I want a big AT-AT!!
    I like Big AT-ATs and I cannot lie

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    From
    Snowy Hoth
    Jan 11, 2017, 5:16 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #1999

Scarecrow Joe said: View Post
    I want a big AT-AT!!
    You could ask Dragon, but they seem to have gone very quiet since they made that particular announcement!
    Jan 11, 2017, 5:54 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #2000

Automaton said: View Post
    Jaitea said: View Post
    Yep & the Shuttle would also tie in as a Rogue One craft also

Sounds promising

J
    I was thrilled when the Imperial Shuttle appeared in R1, even though the low-power engines looked a little strange. If Bandai does announce a 1/144 shuttle for March, I'll be over the moon. However, that Hoth image posted earlier does dampen my optimism a little. As cool as a 1/144 AT-AT would be, I want a shuttle more.