Bandai release schedule

Do they 3D-print such joints or do they make separate pieces which then are combined and put into the mold to be encased by the liquid styrene for the other parts?

One thing Bandai omitted from their battle droid is that the digital version has a small piston between the neck and the head. latest.png

Do they 3D-print such joints or do they make separate pieces which then are combined and put into the mold to be encased by the liquid styrene for the other parts?

The later. If you watch the making video of the Bandai Star War kits at 1:12.
https://youtu.be/AdXmopCFsV0?t=72

You can see the mold for the Tie Advanced, the upper section molds the clear and inner black panel sprues. These sprues have big positioning holes and likely after moulding are transferred by a robotic arm and held in place by the big pins you see while the mold closes again. The lower section then injects the rest of the sprue in this case the gray frames surrounding the solar panels. Also if you have the kit and take a look at the sprue, you'll see the black sections and sprue are ABS and the gray ones are PS or was it the other way around?

The same applies to the already molded joints/articulations in the frames for their RG and hands for some of their PG gundam kits.

Last edited:
Good eye!

I will have to add that to mine! ; )

Keep in mind, however, that adding the piston will lock the head and neck together, losing the ability to change the head's tilt related to the neck (the neck would still pivot and rotate at the shoulder joint). If you figure out a way to make a working piston, however, let us know! :D

SInce mine is a static model I will only need to set it once to the desired length for my pose, but you could just make one out of tubing. The small tube out of aluminum and then polished. It would look like polished steel and would move easily.

A repackage?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I believe it is a repack that gives you both the 1/72 and 1/144 version in one box. Similar to the "bonus" kits they do with the some of the Yamato stuff. I am guessing different decals, and possibly losing the variant nose cone and engines for building Luke's X-wing/Red 3?

1/144th scale x-wing??............I see diorama potential there!
Didn't they already make those?

I'm really bummed that they aren't putting out the 1/72 line of ships as fast as they used to. Sure, we got the a/wing, but where is the b-wing, gunship or falcon???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

^ That glass is half empty!

But seriously, where's my 1:72 Falcon, Bandai?

Given that in, what, two years they've released almost as many vehicle kits as AMT did over three decades, I think they're moving at an impressive clip. I'm buying 'em as fast as my pocketbook priorities allow and I'm still behind by 2 TFA TIEs, an A-Wing, a Captain Phasma, a TIE interceptor, a BB-8, a clonetrooper, and a Battle Droid and STAP.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back