Bandai release schedule

Actually, I fixed the hull curvature on mine and it wasn't impossible. In fact, it flexed pretty easily once you cut the three sided sections leading to the docking rings away (which you have to do anyway to trim them so they'll fit against the new hull curve).

Yeah, I know about "you people." That's why I said "darn near" impossible. compared to the mandible fix, and even the jawbox, I stand by my words. Especially considering the the three "boxes" that house the gear on the bottom, which is really what I think about more than the docking ring "boxes" when it comes to the hull curvature. But anyone who tackles the FM hull shape just plain rocks.
Mike Todd

Any news regarding Poe's T-70 X-Wing in 1/72? Seems like the one on the "schedule" site is the same size as this month 86mm T-65 X-Wing - so not 1/72 :(.

The mandibles is like a major thing (if it's a thing for one at all) but fairly easy if it's simply changing the angle. The jawbox is kinda in the same boat, but a little more of a pain. But you're overlooking the hull curvature which darn near impossible because the top and bottom are so rigid. That's the one that I just have to pretend I accept.

I did not ignore the hull curvature... its just not a big deal IMO. The 32 Falcon is not as curved as the ANH Falcon... and the FM falcon is based on the 32, and therefore not as "thick". when you compare the FM falcon to the 32 its "thickness" (and I have) is pretty close. If you compare it to the 5 footer its flat as heck... It is VERY important to compare the similar version of the Falcon... ILM did NOT make them the same proportional dimensions.

Jedi Dade

Poe's T-70 might not be in 1/72. It might be a mechanical version the same as the 1/48 X-wing.

TazMan2000

Not at 86mm, that's only 3.3 inches.

Just ordered the SD. How cool would it be if it came with an in scale Tantive IV?

Last edited:
Not at 86mm, that's only 3.3 inches.

Just ordered the SD. How cool would it be if it came with an in scale Tantive IV?

I must be mistaken. I saw "dedicated machine" and assumed that it would be the mechanical edition (for a the hero X-wing, it would be logical to have it larger) but when I saw the price is the same as the 1/144 X-wing, it couldn't be true.

You could always use a piece of rice to simulate the Tantive IV, bu that might be too large.:lol

TazMan2000

But it does not mean they have cancelled it? Or we just don't know...

3150.jpg

I did not ignore the hull curvature... its just not a big deal IMO. The 32 Falcon is not as curved as the ANH Falcon... and the FM falcon is based on the 32, and therefore not as "thick". when you compare the FM falcon to the 32 its "thickness" (and I have) is pretty close. If you compare it to the 5 footer its flat as heck... It is VERY important to compare the similar version of the Falcon... ILM did NOT make them the same proportional dimensions.

Jedi Dade

Just some comparative data......using Maruska's measurements that he took from the Master Replicas 32".....I printed the measurements scaled to the same diameter of the FineMolds.....

IMG_4079.jpg

....from it we can see that the FM kit;s thickness is 5mm flatter than the scaled 32" plans

IMG_4080.jpg

The sidewalls are also 1mm thicker.....This has a knock on effect,......knocking off the angle of the cockpit walkway:

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4078%202.jpg

The Docking walkways are too shallow resulting in the reduced taper & reduced diameter of the docking rings,

The cockpit cone is longer,....the mandibles are too long....(mainly because they are too deep.....that extra mm has a knock on effect on the length)

Observations of the studio model....(& MR, Deago,....& even Hasbro Hero Falcon) show that there's panels all over the hull (upper & lower) which are scaled completely wrong due to the wrong positioning of the jaws & cockpit walkway

The already mentioned parallel mandible issue.....the wide jaw,...the undersized radar dish......

...in all.....theres a lot wrong with this kit,...MPC doesn't deserve all the bad press

J

Last edited:
5mm on the full sized model is 2.5mm-ish on the 1/72 FM kit. unless you're measuring you don't "see" it. And I agree with you, of course when the proportions are off it will have ripple effect.. My point is that its just not all that noticable in most places... but parallel lines that shouldn't be just draw your eye...

Don't get me wrong the MPC falcon has a dear place in my heart... I've built a LOT of them, and am intimately familiar with its awesomeness and its failures. but if I had to say which kit was more accurate - the FM wins hands down. But as I said before - "fixing" an MPC falcon should be a prerequisite for joining this forum IMHO ;) If you haven't at least tried to do that you have really "tried" modeling :D OK. that's an obvious overstatement you can be a modeler without doing that - but I bet there are VERY few on this site who are great modelers that haven't :).

Jedi Dade

Just been looking at screen caps and while not 100% clear in all cases, it seems that the only T-70 with a BB-8 (with half-dome head) is the one Poe uses right at the start of the film. His black T-70 looks like it has a variant with more of an R4/R5 shaped head (truncated cone).
The other resistance T-70s look like they have R2 type domes in them.
So technically the blue stripe Bandai T-70 is "Poe's X-Wing" as well????

5mm on the full sized model is 2.5mm-ish on the 1/72 FM kit.
Jedi Dade

Maruska's blueprint that I printed of the 32" is scaled to 1/72 so the difference of thickness is 5mm.......so if the FM was correct it should be 67mm deep (from turret to turret)....instead it's 62mm.....interestingly if you use the 5 foot model under the same circumstances it ends up roughly 10mm short

The Black Poe Dameron X-wing is bound to get a release.....is it exactly the same paint pattern?.....so all they need to do is mould in the alternate colour

I don't know if it was mentioned here but the black X-Wing is a negative of the standard one

3150 copy.jpg

J

The black X-wing may have been shelved together with the TFA C3PO with the red arm, they must've believed it wasn't worth the effort releasing more recolours. If they ever get released, then they may simply sell them exclusively in their Premium Bandai webstore.

....from it we can see that the FM kit;s thickness is 5mm flatter than the scaled 32" plans

The sidewalls are also 1mm thicker.....This has a knock on effect,......knocking off the angle of the cockpit walkway:

J

What may be getting lost here is that the overall height at the turrets and the sidewalls is not a measure of hull curvature, and the curvature is what I was talking about. In theory, the turret measure could be spot on and the sidewall height could be spot on. And hull could be a straight line from one to the other. What I have in hand is a good portion of the DeAgo kit, up to about issue 60. The parts along the hull curvature--"docking ring hexagons" and the gear box structure--show a much more pronounced curve over the FM kit. Now, if the DeAgo kit is spot on in this regard compared to the studio 32-inch model, this suggests to me that there is a lot more going on than just 5-6mm of difference, turret to sidewall.
Mike Todd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back