Things you're tired of seeing in video games

As a sometime game scriptwriter, I hate them too. (I've even directed them as well as taught developers how to do them "properly".)

My highly personal opinion is that designers that willingly resort to QTEs need to be kicked in the shins until they agree to not.

Then do not EVER play "Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage." You have these finishing moves which are all just a series of button presses using the four buttons, and an increasingly complex sequence. At least, that's the case when you play through the campaign in a manner to unlock a bunch of special moves and abilities. So, you can play the basic campaign, but you can't do all the really cool stuff unless you're a QTE master. Which, I confess, I am not.

Then do not EVER play "Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage."

Very little chance of that.

Heh... I really liked the first Uncharted. I'm not much of a console gamer and it was probably only the second console game I'd ever finished at that time, but the final sequence (a 5-10 minute long frantic QTE cutscene) made me want to punch someone.

Very little chance of that.

Heh... I really liked the first Uncharted. I'm not much of a console gamer and it was probably only the second console game I'd ever finished at that time, but the final sequence (a 5-10 minute long frantic QTE cutscene) made me want to punch someone.

So, that's one less reason for me to buy a PS3 or PS4, I guess...

Seriously, QTEs are useful once in a while, but mostly so that you can have a cinematic where the player presumably has some kind of input into the outcome. In truth, though, it's just an illusion. It's an arbitrary hurdle that doesn't actually test your gaming abilities, unless you think the height of gaming skill is a game of Simon.

I'd rather do something in-engine and watch a cutscene after I've done it.

Seriously, QTEs are useful once in a while,

My main problems with them beside the fact that I find them tedious are that if they take place during a cutscene I'm supposed to enjoy, I'm more focused on the buttons than the scene I'm supposed to be enjoying but that they also break player expectations of gameplay. It's like enjoying a nice chocolate brownie, taking another bite and realizing someone has swapped it for a stale biscuit instead without warning you...

Come alive dead thread, come alive.....

Haven't read through all the pages, but I'm sure I can think of things.
Games like the Batman Arkham series had parts where it went to slow motion. Which was alright, but did it too much at times. I just hate when too many games do things like that.
Anyone would agree that bad camera angles or controls can ruin a game. More a problem with older games, but some still seem to run into this problem. (this reminds me something for the movie thread now)

Timers, insane amounts of quicktime events, bad camera angles, PvP shoehorned in, publishers putting shills in the studio staff to push their agenda and override what the people who know what to do choose. Game companies with long histories being run by professional suits. I had more but it's 330 am and my train of thought just crashed into Clayton Ravine. EDIT: Enemies that get 3 or more moves per turn, patches that are nearly 8gb when the DLC to the game is only 5gb.

Last edited:
I'm kinda over games where it's me against the world in the single-player game. I like being a hero and all, but I like being one of many.

Oh, and I'm tired of real-time everything without there being an option for turn-based.

I miss turn based, sadly even over in Japan turn based seems to be vanishing slowly. I'm tired of companies not bringing over new game franchises. I guarantee there's enough fans out there of Front mission to pay for the 5th game as a download on psn instead of that 3rd party trash game they made. Even the companies that used to do little known jrpgs seem to be more careful now. I really miss Working Designs and their translations like Vay and Lunar.

Edit: Companies that are making good games for a franchise and never finish what they started: High Moon studios got shafted right as they were about to finish their Cybertron trilogy and it turned into a bad movie tie-in game and Platinum games gave us G1 transformers fan the best cartoon based game ever with Devastation but now nobody knows if it'll get a sequel.

Last edited:
I hate when you have all your're gear and options set up how you want it, then the game goes and messes it up because you got to a story part.
I think of Final Fantasy 13 and Metal Gear Solid 3(which I love) I've unequipped this gun because I don't want to use it, stop reequipping it.

For me it would be games that only have online multiplayer with no offline story option. I want time to learn a new game and immerse myself, not have a bunch of seemingly full-time gamers insta-kill me. Also I have social/personal anxiety issues which mean I really don't don't feel comfortable with the idea of head-set/microphone communication with a bunch of strangers. I don't type fast enough for the constant stream of text method, either. If an online player wants to team up, I get twitchy worrying that they'll get annoyed with my lack of skill/communication/familiarity with the game.
Also - games where you can configure your abilities in unlimited ways... I always seem to find a way that makes me underpowered. One of the reasons I love Borderlands (apart from the great ballance of story, killing stuff and in-jokes) is that you can reset your poits (which also counters the common problem of quickly becoming the richest person in whatever game-world you're playing)
One more: Followers with no sense of self-preservation, or who just keep getting in the way (I'm looking at you, Lydia from Skyrim - stop blocking the doorway!)

I agree. I don't see the attraction of always on pvp only games. Destiny is a good example of it done badly. Ellie from the last of us was a good follower as she didn't get in the way and was immortal to the point they ignored her in a fight. Hopefully in the new game she actually helps in fights.

Oh, I don't mind the occasional co-op as long as it's with someone I know, and in-person. I enjoy Borderlands with my younger brother because we laugh at the same jokes and like to spot all the references. It's nice to have that overlap of humour (we both damn near pissed ourselves laughing the first time we watched the 'Banana' Minions mini-movie)

Controller layouts you can't modify. I just found the worst controller setup ever for Sniper Elite v2: L1 to aim with a scope then r2 to hold your breathe, and then R1 to fire and even with the sensitivity cranked down you still can't aim worth a damn. It looks like the other games got it right but being able to remap it somehow would do wonders or better yet just let us hold our breaths automatically when we use the scope.

I don't see the attraction of PVP period, I only play single-player games, I have no interest in playing with anyone else, cooperatively or otherwise.

I've only liked certain FPS games for MP. If you find a good group or clan to play with, it can be awesome. I had a great group in Battlefield 3 & 4 and they would play objectives and coordinate. If you have a game like that where everyone doesn't even stay with their squad, let alone play objectives, it's just asking to get mauled. When you're not winning and having fun that would obviously discourage someone from trying it again.

You also need to know your strength and weaknesses. I'd say I'm a very good FPS player in MP, but I tried C&C: Red Alert exactly once years ago. I was completely destroyed before I even produced one offensive unit! :lol So I said RTS MP is not for me.

While we're talking about PvP how about games where it's shoehorned in like Mass Effect 3? Literally 2 or 3 of the story missions in the games used the PvP maps to save time apparently and Bioware shoehorned it into Andromeda again. It looks like Bungie's going to have issues with Destiny 2 as they're managing to tick off even their fanboys with their announcements. I wish I could go back in time and change history so multiplayer never got online and stayed as LAN parties.

I've only liked certain FPS games for MP. If you find a good group or clan to play with, it can be awesome. I had a great group in Battlefield 3 & 4 and they would play objectives and coordinate. If you have a game like that where everyone doesn't even stay with their squad, let alone play objectives, it's just asking to get mauled. When you're not winning and having fun that would obviously discourage someone from trying it again.

You also need to know your strength and weaknesses. I'd say I'm a very good FPS player in MP, but I tried C&C: Red Alert exactly once years ago. I was completely destroyed before I even produced one offensive unit! :lol So I said RTS MP is not for me.

I honestly don't have time for it. I play when I can squeeze in an hour or so to play, so any kind of organized group simply won't work. Plus, I found out years ago when playing MMOs that the way I want to play is not the way most groups want to play. I tend to be slow and methodical, virtually all groups are gung-ho and want to rush through the content. I'm the guy checking every box and looting every body and everyone else is running down the hall looking for something else to shoot. So any organized group or clan is out for me and there are far too many douchebags for pick-up play. Add to that, I'm not playing these games to be competitive, I'm playing to have a good time. I just don't have a good time playing with other people online.

Unfortunately, most games are built around MP, with single-player campaigns tacked on as an afterthought. There's this expectation that the only reason anyone buys the game is to play MP and SP missions are just training. Nope. That's all I want. I ignore the MP parts completely.

I honestly don't have time for it. I play when I can squeeze in an hour or so to play, so any kind of organized group simply won't work. Plus, I found out years ago when playing MMOs that the way I want to play is not the way most groups want to play. I tend to be slow and methodical, virtually all groups are gung-ho and want to rush through the content. I'm the guy checking every box and looting every body and everyone else is running down the hall looking for something else to shoot. So any organized group or clan is out for me and there are far too many douchebags for pick-up play. Add to that, I'm not playing these games to be competitive, I'm playing to have a good time. I just don't have a good time playing with other people online.

Unfortunately, most games are built around MP, with single-player campaigns tacked on as an afterthought. There's this expectation that the only reason anyone buys the game is to play MP and SP missions are just training. Nope. That's all I want. I ignore the MP parts completely.
Never played a MMO, partly because of this reason. Must explore everything. If there are 2 paths and I pick on and it continues the story and you can't go back, I have to reload to the save point to first go the other path just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Doing strikes in destiny was a real pain as all the morons wanted to rush thru them to get the hidden rewards and farm the next one while i was trying to bank cash and experience. If modern gamers weren't all a bunch of tools it wouldn't be so bad. Here's something weird: Horizon Zero dawn hit last tuesday yet the guide for it won't be out for another 10 days as of today. What genius at the guide company, a no name company at that, thought that was a good idea? I'm hoping for at least a good map of the game online this week.

Edit: Games being dumbed down to pander to the vapid moron that is the modern gamer under 35.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back