Things you're tired of seeing in video games

That was another reason I ditched Far Cry 4. I had to download some stupid uplay app. Nope. Not this guy. Back to the store.

I agree with DRM of any sort, especially always being logged on. Sadly Ubi isn't the only one with stupid apps linking to games and stopping you from doing stuff unless you have it. The game industry is killing itself because it's no longer run by gamers like in the old days, now it's just stuffed suits with money funding the gamers and controlling everything. My one animation teacher worked for a game company in Pittsburgh that did games for the original Playstation and he said that the owners of the company knew nothing about gaming and didn't care, they just put up the cash for it to be started and as long as it made money that's what they cared about.

What happened to the LucasArts style of copyright protection? Remember the original Monkey Island game with the wheel that you had to match the faces? In TIE Fighter you looked up the Star Destroyer name on a specific page. At least those were kind of fun.

hLPZbrr.jpg

Oddly enough those things are worth more than the original games lol. I wouldn't mind it because they could work it into things as a collectible on top of things. They could do it with fallout by working it into a radiation calculator like you see in Dr Strangelove.

That and ideally DRM is nothing but a money maker if they finally get it going right as if you trade in a game the value will be even less because the next person will have to pay the company for a new code to activate it.

Games that are second jobs. I don't like games that you either spend most of your time making stuff to sell to other players or you have to be part of some large control structure just to go and harass other players. I was playing Archeage for a while and it became clear that after you have played for a certain time the only thing left to do is either make stuff or be in a large guild to fight over territory. It was the same in EVE Online. Making stuff in game is dumb unless I can sell it for real cash and when I was in a corporation in EVE Online all the big fleet actions would start about the time I would go to bed so I could get up in the morning for my real job.

Games that are second jobs. I don't like games that you either spend most of your time making stuff to sell to other players or you have to be part of some large control structure just to go and harass other players. I was playing Archeage for a while and it became clear that after you have played for a certain time the only thing left to do is either make stuff or be in a large guild to fight over territory. It was the same in EVE Online. Making stuff in game is dumb unless I can sell it for real cash and when I was in a corporation in EVE Online all the big fleet actions would start about the time I would go to bed so I could get up in the morning for my real job.

That's how I tend to feel about MMOs in general. I can never get things organized to devote, like, 4 hours to raiding or whatever, and even if I can, it's never on the same schedule as anyone else. Coupled with the fact that most MMOs are just grind-a-thons, I've basically given up on the entire genre. Persistent world stuff is kind of interesting, but most games in the genre tend to play more like theme parks and less like dynamic worlds. With EVE, on the other hand, the world itself is sort of dynamic, but you basically have to devote your whole ****ing life to getting anywhere in the game, or you're just a lonely ship waiting to be griefed. Not fun at all.

I totally agree. I think Skyrim had about the right amount of work vs. WORK. I don't mind collecting supplies to make something, but not when it's just busy work. I've heard of people who enjoy MMOs where they can just make things for people. I don't get that. I want to be the hero.

Bethesda's terrible character creation system and the fact that skyrim and fallout pretty much look the same other than one has guns and others has swords. Considering Mass Effect games came out at the same time you think Bethesda would have stepped up their games but they never seem to improve their graphics or interfaces. I swear they have one black guy in fallout 3 and just keep putting new clothes and a fake mustache on him, it's like they only modeled 5 people and just mr potato head them with new parts without changing their faces. Then again they all have the same 5 voice actors too lol

Couldn't stand 'that' same voice in Skyrim for every other Male character it seems.

One of my biggest grips is the lack of depth or story to a world. So you have this "great" game by a reputable maker with such a rich story and history about the events going on around you and you give almost NOTHING about it. You jump around at the beginning and skip to after said huge event with not so much more than small amounts of filler and you don't unlock anything, no real story progression, nada, zip. Yes, this may be about a single, specific game but it's a pretty huge deal(to me at least). Maybe I was just spoiled by games like Elder Scrolls and Warhammer online(only MMO I ever played), but there was story and history around every corner and sometimes you were overwhelmed with reading or learning it. But I sure do miss it after all the hype around this game...

and people who play the game JUST to make stuff for other people...that just boggles my mind.

FF7 is my favorite FF, but I played at least 4 other ones before it and the only reason I liked 7 more was the story was a little more expansive and I liked the game mechanics. Didn't like any of them after 7. Actually, I'll correct myself, I don't think 7 is my favorite so much as I remember it as being the last good one.

The thing I'm tired of seeing in video games is cover-based-shooting, or rather the preponderance of it.

When I first saw CBS in Gears of War it was awesome because it had never been done like that before, but it's getting old. Naturally, we can't go back to not having it at all, but I'm tired of seeing it as the only play option in some games.

I totally agree. I think Skyrim had about the right amount of work vs. WORK. I don't mind collecting supplies to make something, but not when it's just busy work. I've heard of people who enjoy MMOs where they can just make things for people. I don't get that. I want to be the hero.

Back when Star Wars Galaxies first launched, I wanted to play as a smuggler and weapon crafter. My goal was that I'd be running guns to rebel groups around the galaxy. Except that weaponsmithing was a full-time job unto itself, and smuggling...never actually happened. You were more just a glorified gunslinger (which was also odd, considering they had a pistoleer class, too). But what really surprised me was just how much friggin' work you had to put in to craft decent weaposn that any one would want to buy. Like, you had to know where this or that ore was located, the spawns for ores changed all the time, you had to have the capital to put down harvesters, and the time to go out and collect the stuff. Then you had to actually grind to make the stuff, and you couldn't even do custom jobs. You just made the same crap as everyone else. The only difference was that your stuff might have better materials behind it, so it'd have better stats. But to get those materials, you basically had to treat SWG as your second job. That sucked.

Couldn't stand 'that' same voice in Skyrim for every other Male character it seems.

One of my biggest grips is the lack of depth or story to a world. So you have this "great" game by a reputable maker with such a rich story and history about the events going on around you and you give almost NOTHING about it. You jump around at the beginning and skip to after said huge event with not so much more than small amounts of filler and you don't unlock anything, no real story progression, nada, zip. Yes, this may be about a single, specific game but it's a pretty huge deal(to me at least). Maybe I was just spoiled by games like Elder Scrolls and Warhammer online(only MMO I ever played), but there was story and history around every corner and sometimes you were overwhelmed with reading or learning it. But I sure do miss it after all the hype around this game...

and people who play the game JUST to make stuff for other people...that just boggles my mind.

The problem is bethesda spends the actor budget on a few big names: ron pearlman, Liam Neeson, Malcom McDowell in Fallout 3 (and Ron in New vegas), Patrick Stewart in the game before Skyrim. They can only afford 4 other actors after that lol

Well to be fair it seems like all the companies are using the exact same voice actors across the board. I'm okay with Laura Bailey though because she has an awesome voice.

I have a new one. I started playing Metro 2033, which I got for free about a year ago on Steam. There have been several points where just out of nowhere I die from something. Once some monster swooped down, grabbed me, and slammed me into the side of a building. That was actually funny because it was after a save point. At another point part of a building collapsed on me. After reloading you do hear crumbling, but have no idea where it's at. At least give me a chance without just randomly killing me! It reminds me of playing the old console games where dying repeatedly and figuring out how the developer wanted you to play was the only way to win.

Missions where you get drugged or similar. Just an excuse to but weird ****** in a 'serious' game. I really enjoyed Far Cry 4, but the fact you have to do 3 or 4 missions under the influence was a pain in the arse.

Mine is cinematics. Too often games are being teased or advertised with cinematics and almost NO gameplay footage. I DON'T CARE how awesome your details look in the side clips/storyline portion of the game. If the game plays lousy and looks awful with terrible controls I'm not going to want anything to do with it.

It's a GAME, I want to see the game. If I wanted to be sold on cinematics I'll go watch a movie.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back